Review: Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover



Originally read/reviewed May 2014

"My heart made its choice, and it chose you."

Get ready for gushing. Because there's no way to rein in my feelings for this remarkable story. I've had several Colleen Hoover novels on my bookshelf for many months (Hopeless, Losing Hope, Finding Cinderella, and Maybe Someday) and all I can think after finishing this one is: what took me so long?

Maybe Someday is a novel without a lot of external conflict. There's no evil government to overthrow, no innocent victim that needs saving at the eleventh hour, not even a lot of overwrought family drama. Instead, the conflict is almost solely internal. Two people who find themselves in an impossible situation and are riddled with guilt and confusion over feelings that, despite their best intentions, can't be ignored.

Hoover has a way of developing characters and situations that are so real, so emotional and so utterly believable. My heart ached for Sydney and Ridge (and Maggie). Some parts were just so painful and made my heart so heavy that I'd have to stop, take a breath, and remind myself that I was reading fiction. The growing love and connection between Sydney and Ridge was simply beautiful to witness. And even as they struggled against it I couldn't help but be drawn in and wish fervently for their 'maybe someday.'

Sydney was a main character that I liked right away. She was strong, she stood up for herself, she was kind and craved independence. And she the way she handled the situation she found herself in was admirable. She showed maturity and respect and selflessness.

Ridge was a character I couldn't help but fall for. I have a thing for guys with a protective nature and the way this manifested in his relationship with Maggie had me hooked. He was so sweet, so kind and compassionate. Truly one of those guys with a heart of gold. And he certainly never imagined himself susceptible to the position he found himself in. Despite his internal struggle when lines started to blur, I found him to be incredibly loyal.

The way Sydney and Ridge connected through music was amazing and I loved watching their relationship develop through texts, messages, even pranks. Their honesty and openness with one another was beautiful.

One of things that impressed me most was that Hoover never allowed the story to become sappy or overly sentimental. And yet she still managed to evoke so many emotions! At different times I found my heart fluttering, pounding, melting, and breaking. Unlike so many tales, there is no bad guy in this triangle and that made it all the more heart wrenching. No matter what, someone ends up hurt.

I am incredibly stingy with my 5 star ratings. Those are reserved for books that had a great impact on me for various reasons. I've had maybe 30-40 of those in 35+ years of avid reading. So I definitely don't go around giving 5 stars to every good book I read. It has to be something truly special. And Maybe Someday definitely is something truly special.

Not only will Maybe Someday be one of my favorites of 2014 but it is a favorite - period. I'm still savoring this amazing story and will remember it for a long, long time to come.



No comments