Review: Confess by Colleen Hoover



Find it here: GoodReads | Amazon

Colleen Hoover does it again. I don't know *how* she does it, but I'm so glad she does.

Some secrets should never turn into confessions.

Confess is the story of Auburn. A woman who, at the young age of 20, has dealt with loss and separation and is focused on making things right. 


Confess is the story of Owen. An artist. And a man who grieves for not only those he's lost but also the one that remains. 


There are people you meet that you get to know, and then 
there are people you meet that you already know.

It's hard to say a lot about Confess because the story is based on so many secrets and details that are not initially revealed. But I will say that I was so completely invested in the characters and this story. My heart ached for them, I laughed with them, I was outraged for them. At one point I put the book down and started mentally begging Colleen Hoover to fix this and make things right.


I simply love the way Colleen tells a story. It's not just laid out before you like a buffet. It's fed to you, bite by bite, piece by piece, slowly being revealed. You know there's more to the story, but it's presented layer by layer and it makes the reading experience that much better.

"I'm scared I'll never feel this again with anyone else."

"I'm scared you will."

While I don't want to say much more about the plot of Confess beyond the book synopsis (it would be a crime to ruin a single moment for anyone), I will share what I love about it. I love that Colleen managed to make my cry within the 8-page prologue. I love the humor and the banter between Auburn and Owen. I love that I felt every emotion depicted within its pages: despair, happiness, confusion, excitement, grief, love, jealousy, fear. I love Owen Gentry and his selflessness. And I love that the last chapter made my heart hurt and sing at the same time.

"I love you so much." His voice is breathless and full of fear. 
"I'll love you forever. Even when I can't."

My tears fall harder at his words. "And I'll love you forever. 
Even when I shouldn't."





No comments