Review: Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros

FOURTH WING

by Rebecca Yarros
Series: The Empyrean #1
Pub: 5/2/2023
Format: Kindle/Audio
4.75★


Twenty-year-old Violet Sorrengail was supposed to enter the Scribe Quadrant, living a quiet life among books and history. Now, the commanding general—also known as her tough-as-talons mother—has ordered Violet to join the hundreds of candidates striving to become the elite of Navarre: dragon riders.


But when you’re smaller than everyone else and your body is brittle, death is only a heartbeat away... because dragons don’t bond to “fragile” humans. They incinerate them.

With fewer dragons willing to bond than cadets, most would kill Violet to better their own chances of success. The rest would kill her just for being her mother’s daughter—like Xaden Riorson, the most powerful and ruthless wingleader in the Riders Quadrant.

She’ll need every edge her wits can give her just to see the next sunrise.

Yet, with every day that passes, the war outside grows more deadly, the kingdom's protective wards are failing, and the death toll continues to rise. Even worse, Violet begins to suspect leadership is hiding a terrible secret.

Friends, enemies, lovers. Everyone at Basgiath War College has an agenda—because once you enter, there are only two ways out: graduate or die. down once again.



 Unless you’ve been in a cave, trapped under something heavy, or otherwise completely out of touch with the world around you, you are well aware of the phenomenon that is Fourth Wing. And based on the 98,000+ reviews on Goodreads, I doubt there’s anything new that can be said about it. But that won’t stop me from gushing about my own reading experience because after finishing Fourth Wing… I have all the feelings and I need to share and commiserate and flail along with everyone else.

 

I will not run. I wouldn’t be standing here if I’d quit every time something seemed impossible to overcome. I will not die today. - Violet Sorrengail

 

Violet Sorrengail wants nothing more than to follow in her father’s footsteps and become a Scribe, devoted to capturing and maintaining the history of Navarre. She’s dealt a cruel blow when her mother, a general in the kingdom of Navarre, forces Violet to instead enter Basgiath. A war college for dragon riders, Basgiath is brutal for even the strongest candidates but even more so for Violent whose chronic illness manifests joint pain and unstable joints that dislocate easily (a disorder that closely mirrors Yarros’s own struggle with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome). Day after day, Violet faces almost insurmountable challenges that push her to her limits both physically and mentally.

 

The first year is when some of us lose our lives. The second year is when the rest of us lose our humanity. - Xaden Riorson

 

Fourth Wing started with a bang – with Violet thrown into a dangerous and tension-filled challenge in the first chapter – and never let up. As invested as I was, it was when the dragons showed up and sunk their claws in me that I become low-key obsessed and could hardly bear to set the book down. The dragons – with their fierce, unpredictable natures, their wisdom, and their unique personalities – were something to behold. And I – who in no way considers myself a fantasy reader – was astounded at the connection I felt with the magnificent beasts. I cheered for them, I laughed at their dry humor, and I shed tears at their heartache. I credit that wholly to Yarros and her proven skill at creating characters (yes, even dragons) that always evoke an emotional response.

 

“Did you ever once stop to think that sometimes you can start out on the right side of a war and end up on the wrong one?”

 

The worldbuilding was detailed without being overwhelming (this non-fantasy reader thanks Yarros for that). And the building tension as the stakes rose higher and higher was delicious torture. The plotting was exquisite, the twists and turns so satisfying, and the push and pull of the romance was the perfect balance to the brutal competition and behind the scenes machinations. And then there was that jaw-dropping final scene that had everyone (me included!) desperate for the next book. I’m actually glad I didn’t read Fourth Wing when it released back in May. I’d hate to think I had to wait six months for answers. As it is, the four or five weeks until Iron Flame is in my hands feels like an eternity.

 

We can live as cowards or die as riders.

 

As if it wasn’t apparent, there was so much I loved about Fourth Wing. Violet’s resilience every time she pushed past her own fears and perceived weaknesses, the friendships, the intrigue, the danger, Xaden (I admit, every time he called Violet ‘Violence’ I practically squealed with delight), the plot twists, the dragons (my love for Tairn and Andarna knows no bounds), and so much more. Fourth Wing took me by surprise. It was only because of my love and appreciation for Yarros’s contemporary novels that I took a chance on it, and it paid off in the best of ways. Fourth Wing will without a doubt be one of my top reads of 2023. 4.75★





19 comments

  1. I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't read this yet! But I love your review and especially as someone who also doesn't gravitate towards fantasy, you have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - I am definitely not a fantasy reader, but this was one thrill ride of a story (and easy for a fantasy newbie).

      Delete
  2. Great to see you took a chance and it paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. Knowing I already loved Yarros had me fairly confident I would enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm with you. Had I not already read Yarros's books, I probably would not have picked this one up. I would have missed out! I'm glad you felt the same way. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one! It sounds SO good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it. Its very popular. Not really a Yarros fan that much, so not really interested and as I am not really into the style of this type of fantasy, I know it most likely won't be for me so I am passing on it. But love seeing people loving it and happy it was a good turnout for you.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! This didn't call to me, but there was such buzz and I knew it'd be on the Goodreads Choice awards so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and be able to weigh in. The hype was real here! I loved this too, as you know, Tanya! Even my husband loved it. We listened to the audio together. I'm also happy I waited to read it because now we only have a few weeks to go until the next one! Although, I hear there's 5 books in the series. Didn't know Yarros struggled with that chronic condition! Happy to hear it gave you all the feels, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you - this book grabbed hold of me immediately and never let go. I'm just glad the second book is coming out this year rather than it being a year long wait. Have you read any other Yarros book? I'm not familiar with her other novels, but I'd be curious to try one out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a non fantasy reader myself, I've been on the fence about this one. I knew readers were gushing about it, but I still wasn't sure if it would be something that connected with me. Given your review, though, I think I should take a shot at it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, I'm so glad this one lived up to the hype for you! I was a little nervous when you said you were finally going to read it, haha. I agree completely about the worldbuilding too. Yarros did such a wonderful job of creating a vivid yet not overwhelming fantasy world. I finished the book and was just like "OMG, I want a dragon I can mind meld with!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review for this one! This was such a great read, and I know we're all biting our nails until the second book comes out next month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to hear you ended up loving this one, even if you're not usually a fantasy reader! And luckily Iron Flame is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book is EVERYWHERE but I had no idea what it was about. It does sound fun.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad to read you've loved this one as well. I definitely adored this one and it's my favorite read this year so far. I can't wait for book two :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't usually read fantasy, but based on all the hype ended up reading too. Glad you loved it, and won't have to wait long for Book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am SO happy that you read this book and that it is one of your top reads this year! It is one of my favorites this year too and I loved that even the dragons invoked so much emotion out of us, just like her other books and characters do ♥. I'm jealous you didn't have as long of a wait for that next book, the waiting has been torture lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GAH every time I see a glowing review of this, the FOMO hits and it hits hard. I know you are not even the biggest fantasy reader, which makes me want to try it even more! And you are tempting me with your talk of emotions and great characters! Those are things I love! I guess I should just give it a try eventually, maybe I will find it on sale or something. Because you have really made me curious to find out what the fuss is about!

    ReplyDelete