Short Take Reviews: Fragile Sanctuary | Forgotten Desires | The Friendship Pact

 


Fragile Sanctuary
by Catherine Cowles
Series: Sparrow Falls #1
Published: 5/16/2024
4.25 stars

✔ Grumpy x Sunshine 🌞
✔ Brother's Best Friend 🤵
✔ Broken Hero 💔
✔ Found Family 👪
✔ Serial Killer 🗡

The big picture: Rhodes tragically lost her family in a fire. Anson walked away from his FBI career after a devastating loss. When Rhodes is targeted, Anson steps in to protect her and find who is behind the escalating incidents.

What I liked:
Catherine Cowles + small town + romantic suspense = a book I'm going to love. As always with a Catherine Cowles novel, the prologue provided the perfect set-up and had me invested immediately. I loved Rho and the way she focused on gratitude and did not let her past define her. Anson's back story was heartbreaking and explained his need to keep people at arms length. The mystery aspect had me suspicious of virtually everyone... and I still didn't get it right. I love that! Rho's found family was priceless and I adored them. I can't wait for future books with their stories.

But not so much:
I admit that Cowles has a formula and doesn't seem to stray from it. Damaged character(s), serial killer or stalker, heroine is held by the bad guy near the end until hero shows up and saves her, heroine often ends up in hospital but obviously pulls through. Formulaic? Yes. Does this stop me from inhaling each and every release? Not in the least. 😉

Forgotten Desires
by Corinne Michaels
Series: Whitlock Family #4
Published: 6/5/2024
4.5 stars

✔ Second Chance Romance 💕
✔ Single Dad 👧
✔ Marriage of Convenience💒
✔ Billionaire 💰
✔ He Falls First 🤵

The big picture: Brynlee and Carson met during college spring break and quickly fell in love. Carson left without saying goodbye. Ten years later they meet again. Brynlee agrees to marry Carson to help him gain custody of his 4-year-old daughter. The old feelings are still there.

What I Liked:
I loved it all! Brynlee was kind and generous and willing to help anyone (including donating an organ to her absentee father). She had a heart of gold. Carson was amazing. He fell first and he fell hard. This man would do anything for Brynlee and the lengths he went to to make her happy and protect her made my heart melt. I loved how their marriage of convenience felt real from the very start. Carson's daughter Layla was a sweetheart. And Brynlee's brothers (and their partners) loved, supported, and showed the true meaning of family. This is the way to end a series.

But Not So Much:
Um, nothing? If I'm going to nit-pick, I'll say that yes it is improbable that a one week affair that happened a decade ago would having such a lasting impact on both their lives, but I don't even care. I don't read romance for reality. lol I happily went with it because I loved these characters so hard.

The Friendship Pact
by Jill Shalvis
Series: Sunrise Cove #2
Published: 6/14/2022
3.5 stars

✔ Second Chance Romance 💕
✔ Small Town 🏡
✔ Military Veteran 🏅
✔ Childhood Trauma 😢

The big picture: 
April had Tae when she was just fifteen and they struggled for years. April said Tae's father was dead, but Tae learns otherwise. Riggs, Tae's high school friend/one night stand, just returned to town and they still have chemistry. Riggs has a complicated relationship with his brother.

What I Liked:
I admired Tae's independence and her ambition. Riggs had an interesting backstory and I applauded how far he had come. I loved the organization that his brother founded for wounded warriors and the opportunities they provided for both veterans and disadvantaged youth. I had such compassion for Andy and his quiet acceptance of decisions that were made by April. 

But Not So Much:
April and Tae's relationship was co-dependent to the point of toxicity. Theses two needed to put space between them and develop as individuals in the worst way. Tae could be prickly and stubborn and it meant her relationship with Riggs often felt like one step forward and two steps back. But it was April's choices concerning Andy that really left me infuriated. She altered the lives of two people and robbed them of a relationship. Regardless of her reasons, I couldn't get past that. 


Have you read any of these books?

6 comments

  1. Where do you suggest to start with Catherine Cowles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Corinne Michaels. I have no idea why I haven't picked up one of her books in so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the Shalvis. I always seem to do better with them than you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do enjoy a good romantic suspense book, so that Catherine Cowles book is appealing, I also love the cover. I have read the Jill Shalvis book and enjoy that series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read Fragile Sanctuary, and I love Cowles writing. She always creates such memorable characters. I really liked Anson and Rho...though I did find it a little hard to accept the coincidence of Anson and the bad guy ending up in the same town like that. Had to suspend disbelief a little bit for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these, but I read the first book in the Sunrise Cove series. I was thinking about continuing the series, but it looks like I should temper my expectations!

    ReplyDelete