Short Take Reviews: In a Holidaze and The One for Me

 


IN A HOLIDAZE

Christina Lauren
Series: N/A
Published: October 6, 2020
Source: Gallery Books and Netgalley
4 stars

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…but not for Maelyn Jones. She’s living with her parents, hates her going-nowhere job, and has just made a romantic error of epic proportions.

But perhaps worst of all, this is the last Christmas Mae will be at her favorite place in the world—the snowy Utah cabin where she and her family have spent every holiday since she was born, along with two other beloved families. Mentally melting down as she drives away from the cabin for the final time, Mae throws out what she thinks is a simple plea to the universe: Please. Show me what will make me happy.

The next thing she knows, tires screech and metal collides, everything goes black. But when Mae gasps awake…she’s on an airplane bound for Utah, where she begins the same holiday all over again. With one hilarious disaster after another sending her back to the plane, Mae must figure out how to break free of the strange time loop—and finally get her true love under the mistletoe.

*****

In a Holidaze took all the things I love most about Christina Lauren’s contemporary romances and combined them all together to make a feel-good holiday story that had me smiling from start to finish.

Mae and her family spend every Christmas at a snowy Utah cabin with their lifelong friends. But this latest trip ends with much awkwardness (a drunken hook-up with her longtime crush’s brother – ack!) as well as the news that the cabin may be sold. A desperate plea to the powers that be to show her what will make her happy is the catalyst that finds Mae reliving the last week at the cabin again… and again and again… with varied results.

I loved Mae’s story and watching her journey from feeling stagnant in her job, and life in general, to someone who spoke her mind and made bold choices. Rounding out the story was a cast of secondary characters who practically leapt off the page. I fell in love with this close-knit group and all their many Christmas traditions. The romance played out in a way that made my heart happy and feeling completely satisfied. In a Holidaze was the perfect holiday read!


Corinne Michaels
Series: Arrowood Brothers #3
Published: August 18, 2020
Source: Purchased (Audible)
4 stars

Devney Maxwell has been my best friend since we were six years old, but she has no idea I’m in love with her.

Even when I’m on the road playing professional baseball, she’s my home—the only one I’ve ever known. But when I return to Sugarloaf to care for the family farm, I discover she’s trying to talk herself into a life with the wrong man … and I become desperate.

It only takes a single, perfect kiss to change everything.

I have six months to get it right with Devney—to convince her to leave this town and turn that kiss into forever.

I aim to do just that as I spend my days coaching her nephew’s baseball team, fixing up the farm, and loving her with all I have. Finally, it seems like our relationship is secure and we’ll find a way to make it work.

Then tragedy strikes, changing her life forever. She’s needed here more than ever, but as for me—there’s no way I can stay.

I know she’s the one for me, but I might have to let her go…

*****

I have been loving Corinne Michaels’ Arrowood Brothers series and The One for Me was no exception. It didn’t hurt that the friends-to-lovers trope (used so well here) is one of my favorites. Sean and Devney had been best friends since childhood. They saw each other through family traumas and formed a lasting bond. When Sean, a professional baseball player, returned to the small town of Sugar Loaf, he couldn’t keep denying that his feelings for Devney went well beyond friendship. Devney took some convincing but when she needed to move out of her parents’ home and went to stay with Sean… that helped speed up the process. 😊

In typical Michaels’ fashion, there was some serious heartbreak. As soon as I realized what was about to happen during a pivotal scene, I thought: Oh my goodness, she's done it again. Corinne is going to make me cry. (And then cue all the tears.) As much as the tragedy that occurred broke my heart, seeing the love and support that came in the aftermath made me melt. Devney was so strong and resilient, and Sean was so loving and willing to do whatever it took for them to have a future together. And while I had guessed the big secret/plot twist well before it was revealed, it didn’t lessen my enjoyment in the least. The solid foundation these two had as friends gave their relationship a steadiness and intensity that gave me all the feels. I could keep reading book after book about the Arrowood brothers and the women who love them. 


HAVE YOU READ EITHER OF THESE BOOKS?

24 comments

  1. I’d avoided In A Holidaze simply because it was a holiday book and they don’t tend to work for me but I discovered it had a groundhog day style and it completely caught my attention. It sounds like a great lighthearted book to escape into. I might just have to pick it up. The One For Me sounds emotional and I am keeping that book on stand by for those days when you want a good cry and to have a bit of an emotional read. It does sound like a really good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a Holidaze did take place over Christmas but it is so much more that "just" a holiday book. The Groundhog Day element was done so well and I just loved the cast of characters. I definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read In A Holidaze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think CLo always do such a great job assembling their "families", but this group was outstanding. I really wanted to join in the festivities with them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they really do a great job with families and this one was fantastic. I would totally spend the holidays with that crowd! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely looking forward to Lauren's newest, and I'd also like to read Michaels' series. It's been too long since I've read one of her books, and I always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered Corinne Michaels back in January and she's quickly becoming a favorite!

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you enjoyed In a Holidaze! It's my next one up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Rachel! I hope you'll love it and I'll be excited to read your thoughts on it.

      Delete
  6. Glad to see you really loved both of these. In a Holidaze is one that I'd like to read soon!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read In a Holidaze and loved it. It was such a great escape and so fun. I haven't read that Corinne Michaels book, but I have read and liked others of hers. I'm glad this one hit the spot for you. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna! Corinne Michaels quickly became a go-to author this year and now I look forward to every new release. :)

      Delete
  8. I have not read Corinne Michaels yet but The One for Me sounds like something I would enjoy. I tend to have a lot of luck with friends to lovers stories. I do need to pick up another Christina Lauren book soon. Glad you enjoyed both of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just "discovered" Corinne Michaels at the beginning of this year and quickly became a fan or her stories.

      Delete
  9. I'm happy that Holidaze delivered the feel-good fuzzies! I need to put a hold so I can read before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a Holidaze was just such a good time. Perfect feel-good read for the holidays.

      Delete
  10. I'm currently at 52% of In A Holidaze and I had no clue what I was getting myself into. I hadn't read the synopsis, just in our blogging group chat Arielle said everyone has to read this book. So I went to put a hold on it and it was 13 weeks out at my library ack. A few minutes later after announcing that, Chelsea sent it to me as an early Christmas present ♥. Oh my gosh it's Ground Hog Day for Christmas, I love it! The characters, I heart them all and I'm excited to see how it's going to end!
    Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you're reading (or were reading) In a Holidaze, Jen. And to receive it as a gift like that... even better! I really hope you're still loving it. I just adored the whole cast of characters. :)

      Delete
  11. Yay, so glad to hear you enjoyed In a Holidaze. I had so much fun with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a feel-good story. Just what I needed/wanted. :)

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of Corrine Michaels before but this mini-review has convinced me that I need to look her and this book/series up! It sounds so good and I love a good friends-to-lovers story that can make me swoon and cry and swoon again 😍 I'm so excited to read In a Holidaze. So glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne Michaels has quickly become a new favorite. I just love her emotional love stories. I've yet to read one of hers that didn't get me teary-eyed at some point.

      Delete