Top Ten Tuesday: Thankful Edition

 

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.


THIS WEEK'S TOPIC:
WHAT I AM THANKFUL FOR

It's easy to get caught up in Life's challenges (especially this year!), the day to day annoyances, and what's going wrong at any given time. I try to focus on the positive and have gratitude every day, but Thanksgiving is the perfect time to truly recognize all we have to be thankful for in our lives.


HEALTH
This really took on a new meaning this year. Health is something I sometimes take for granted but at a time when a virus has taken over a million lives across the world, it is something I am extra thankful for this year.

MY HUSBAND
I am thankful every day for the man that came into my life almost 30 years ago. No one makes me laugh harder, feel lighter, smile more, or love deeper.

FREEDOM
This is another one that took on more meaning this year. With the country divided and so much inequality, it was a reminder than I am so thankful to live in a country where I have the freedom to voice my opinion, to peacefully protest, and, most importantly, to vote.

MY HOME
I am so thankful for a safe, comfortable home. A bed to sleep in, a pillow for my head, running water, a way to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. A safe haven that I love to return to each day.

TECHNOLOGY
I've often joked that I have an unhealthy attachment to my iPad, but this year has made me more grateful than ever for cell phones and tablets and computers that have allowed me to see people and stay in touch when being together isn't possible.

MUSIC
Music has always played a part in my life and been important to me. It can lift my mood, relax me, energize me, make me nostalgic, express my feelings, make me dance, and generally provide the soundtrack to my life.

A JOB I LOVE
With so many out of work this year, I am more thankful than ever for my job. I have been with the same company for many years, I work for people that I respect and admire, and I have the flexibility to work from home or go into the office. 

AGING
What? Thankful for aging and growing older? Absolutely! With age comes experience and (hopefully) wisdom. The ability to see the big picture and put things in perspective. And the knowledge that most any situation (good or bad) is temporary, and life does go on. Aging is a gift that is denied to many. 

THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
I choose to believe that most people are decent, kind people. And I see evidence of that all the time, in big ways and small. Whether it's holding the door for you, the person in front of you that paid for your drink, or just a smile that lifts your spirits on a bad day, I am thankful for all the people who spread small kindnesses.

BOOKS AND THE ABILITY TO READ
And any list of what I'm thankful for has to include books. The ability to read, the authors who create beloved characters and stories, the books that provide so many hours of enjoyment and escapism... for all of those I am so thankful. 



WHAT ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR THIS YEAR?


41 comments

  1. Great list! I love that you included aging on this list, because it is something we should be thankful for. Especially in a year when lives have been taken by the virus or violence, it's such a privilege to age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess. I hear people complain about aging and growing older and I always think, what a gift you are complaining about!

      Delete
  2. I loved this list.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful list, Tanya! This year it's so easy to focus on the negative, but it's so important to take a moment and focus on the positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Angela. It's easy to get caught up in all that's wrong but I much prefer to focus on what's good and what I'm thankful for.

      Delete
  4. I love the quote you started with and I believe it absolutely - there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for. One good thing about COVID is that it has made me appreciate things I used to take for granted - being able to gather, being able to see people's smiling faces sans masks, being able to find everything I need in the grocery store, etc. I will never take these things for granted again!

    Happy TTT and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Susan. There's so much I/we never gave a thought to before... until we no longer had it in our daily lives.

      Delete
  5. This is a wonderful list! I'm very thankful for books, reading, blogging and definitely technology (and like you said, especially this year). I can't imagine what 2020 would be like without all of these things especially since books have really kept me pushing on! So very grateful for many things in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dini! I think a lot of us have gained a new appreciation for some things this year!

      Delete
  6. Love this, Tanya. I agree with all of them since they would make my list too. Without technology, I wouldn't be able to talk to my family, so I'm very grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness that we're able to see each and connect that way at times like this.

      Delete
  7. That's great that you have a job you love. That's life goals there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. I've definitely been on the opposite end of that spectrum at times.

      Delete
  8. Lovely post! It's definitely important to think about the positive and reflect on what we're thankful for. And health is definitely one that gets taken for granted sometimes but is really so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Lindsey. I'm trying to keep all these things in mind this year and focus on the positives.

      Delete
  9. I think this year really helped us to truly count our blessings and see what was important Tanya! This is a great list where I find so many of my thoughts. My first reaction was health too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these are great things to be thankful! It sounds like you have a great partner in life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely list.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2020/11/24/top-ten-tuesday-291/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list Tanya! I especially loved your thoughts on home, freedom and music.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful list! I do feel like I have learned a lot and am a better person now than I was when I was younger. I just wish my body was as resilient as it was when I was younger. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list!! I'm definitely thankful for books - and the ability to read them. I'm also grateful for relatively good health - I've had a rough year, health-wise, but I never ended up in the hospital and I'm finally rounding the bend so that's a plus!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear the health issues are improving, Lauren!

      Delete
  15. This is a wonderful list! I really love how you put aging on there. It is very true; aging is a gift denied to many. Age is nothing to be ashamed of; rather, age is to be revered and celebrated.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    My TTT: https://herbookishdesires.wordpress.com/2020/11/24/%f0%9f%a6%83top-ten-tuesday-thanksgiving-freebie/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is definitely a year to think more on the things we are thankful for. It’s been a tough year so I’m thankful for my family and friends. And also for having plenty to read so being stuck at home hasn’t been too much of a chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anything, this year has made me get back to basics and appreciate the small things.

      Delete
  17. I love this post so much Tanya!! And you're so right!! I think this year made me realize even more that there is much to be thankful for.
    I'm also thankful for this book blogging community. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! And so true, the blogging community is definitely something I'm thankful for.

      Delete
  18. This is a wonderful list, Tanya! It's important to focus on the positive, especially during this last year of craziness! Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Rachel. Dwelling on what we can't do or what we're doing without won't help anyone. I'd much rather focus on the positive.

      Delete
  19. This is a really great list, Tanya. I hope you and your family had a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a beautiful list, Tanya! I'm so beyond thankful for a lot of those things too ♥. I am also thankful that my parents, brother, aunt and uncle moved closer to us, years ago, so they could be a bigger part in our boys lives ♥.
    Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. :) It's such a gift to have family close by.

      Delete