Review: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover


Find it here: GoodReads | Amazon

Sometimes two people have to fall apart to realize 
how much they need to fall back together.

I might have done my heart permanent damage by reading Slammed and Point of Retreat back to back. I really should have had a buffer book (or three) in between. As it is, my emotions are mess and my little feelings have been trampled upon beyond recognition. Basically, your typical Colleen Hoover aftermath.


I *love* that Point of Retreat was told from Will's POV. I wasn't aware of the switch in POV (from Slammed) before starting the book and it was such a happy surprise. I loved being in Will's head, getting his perspective, seeing Lake through his eyes. I love getting the guy's POV in general (Breakable by Tammara Webber sent me over the moon, but I digress) and from a character that I was already in love with - Will Cooper! - was even better. One of my favorite things about Will is that he is so open and so generous with his love. Once he's committed, he doesn't hold back. His love for Lake was extraordinary and he showed it.

"I love you because of you.
Because of
every
single
thing
about you."

Lake has taken on a lot at a young age (as has Will) and seems to have adjusted well. But I found myself frustrated with her at times. I felt she was unnecessarily hard on Will here. Will was plainly head over heels in love with her, consistently put her happiness first, and yet she doubted his feelings? As my mother would say, she was just borrowing trouble. Maybe it was due to her youth. Maybe it was because Will was her first serious relationship. Maybe she was still bogged down in grief and not thinking clearly. But I did find myself frustrated with her doubts and the way she pushed Will away. I wanted her to be joyful in what they had, recognize how rare it was, and cling to it with both hands!

"Love is the most beautiful thing in the world.
Unfortunately, it's also one of the hardest things
in the world to hold on to, and one of the 
easiest things to throw away."


There were so many elements in Point of Retreat that struck a chord and meant so much. The jar of stars from Julia that always seemed so timely and relevant, Gavin and Eddie, the suck and sweet game, the addition of secondary characters Kiersten and Sherry, Will's slam poetry (and the slams from some surprising sources!), Will's determination not to leave Lake's side... so many things that proved yet again Colleen Hoover's amazing ability to make me FEEL.


This is the first by Colleen Hoover not to get a 5-star rating from me, but I just didn't connect as completely as I did with Slammed. For that, and for my frustration with Lake at times, I shaved a half-star. But Point of Retreat was still a phenomenal story with heart and emotion and with characters I have come to love. Highly recommended!

Note: Point of Retreat is *not* a stand-alone novel. It is book two in a trilogy and should be read after Slammed.




No comments