Saturday, November 26, 2016

November #ShelfLove Challenge: Thankful



November topic: Name one bookish item you are thankful for. This could be your favorite book, or gift, or author - you decide. Share pictures if you can.
I'm going to be totally basic when it comes to the bookish item I am thankful for, but honestly... it's my Kindle. I love it.


Ereaders have been out for many years. It was almost a decade ago when I bought a Sony Reader (anyone remember those?). But the Kindle seemed to revolutionize ereaders and when I bought one three years ago I was hooked. All of a sudden I could toss my Kindle in my purse and go. No heavy hardcover books to tote around, no paperbacks that would get mangled. If I finish one book while I'm away from home, I have hundreds more at my fingertips. I often find that I read faster on my Kindle than with a physical book. I love that I can download a book in seconds (sometimes you need the sequel *now*!). I love the ability to download books from my library's Overdrive app. I love being able to highlight favorite lines and passages and make notes.


Back in June I was lucky enough to win a new Kindle from Jennifer L. Armentrout (as if I didn't already love her enough, right?) so now my Kindle is even thinner, lighter, and just all around more awesome because it came from JLA. :)

People still debate over the pros and cons of ebooks and physical books but for me it's not an either/or choice. They're two separate things and one doesn't take the place of the other. I *love* my physical books. I love the gorgeous covers, I love the way they look on my shelves, I love reading them, I love seeing all the page tabs that mark parts that are special to me. I love all those things but I'm still so thankful for my Kindle and all the benefits it provides an avid reader.



What bookish item are you thankful for?




10 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, I totally agree. I love my ereader but nothing compares to looking at a physical book... although nothing compares to being able to carry hundreds of books in one small device. They are both win-win's for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Kristin! So many people act like it's an either/or thing but I totally love both my Kindle *and* my physical books! They're both perfect for different reasons. :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah my Kindle is pretty much my favorite thing. I have a newer appreciation for physical books but my Kindle is something I couldn't live without. Still very cool about winning that kindle fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I first discovered your blog, Grace, and learned that you *never* read physical books - always Kindle. And then one day you announced you'd read a physical book! It was huge! LOL

      Delete
  3. I, too, love my Kindle. Although, I'm still stuck between loving my physical books or my ereader more. I do love that I can have all of those books with me at any given time with Kindle. Can't go wrong there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never really choose between them. Love both for different reasons. So thank goodness no one is forcing me to choose! :)

      Delete
  4. YES!!!!!! So completely 1000000000% agree -- my kindle is LIFE! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, I can't imagine life without it anymore. LOL I just ordered a new case from Amazon and cannot wait to get it!

      Delete
  5. I love this tribute to the eReader :) But yes, totally agree. It doesn't take the place of physical books, it is a separate entity and that doesn't mean I don't want a shiny print book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. And you're so right... I love my Kindle books but I want all the pretties in print, too. So greedy! LOL

      Delete