Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Angsty Romances


Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey at GingerReadsLainey.
Click HERE for a complete list of participants and future topics.
I was so excited when I saw that this week's T5W theme was favorite angsty romances. Because I am ALL ABOUT the angsty romance. Bring. It. On. I think for some people, angst has a kind of negative connotation but not so for me. Give me a book where the main characters are tortured souls with tragic backgrounds. Give me a story where there's every obstacle imaginable keeping the lovers apart. Give me heartbreak and heartache. Does that make me a glutton for punishment? Maybe, but I'm also one happy reader. So here are some of my favorite angtsy romances/couples. 


THE BRONZE HORSEMAN
Paullina Simons
The Bronze Horseman takes the gold medal in angst. I mean, come on, when the story starts Alexander is dating Tatiana's sister. How's that for some angst? Then there's that pesky war keeping them apart. Much angst ensues.

MAYBE SOMEDAY
Colleen Hoover
When I started this list, four of the five picks were from Colleen Hoover. I practically had to flip a coin to choose just one. I ended up going with the first CoHo book I ever read. The angst-filled relationship between Sydney and Ridge in Maybe Someday had me in pieces, desperate for some kind of happy ending. Many tears were shed.

ADDICTED TO YOU
Krista & Becca Ritchie
I don't consider the Addicted series as a whole to be particularly angsty. But that first book, when Lily and Lo were deep into their addictions and struggling daily - yeah, that was pretty angsty. They were each other's crutch but also one another's salvation. The ending of this one tore me up. 

FALL TOO FAR
Abbi Glines
I'm a sucker for the Rosemary Beach series. Seriously, it's my book crack. And it all started with Blaire and Rush. He's the son of the woman her father has just married. She's a simple girl from Alabama. He's a rock star's son. Angst and drama, drama and angst. I ate it up like candy.  

WAIT FOR YOU
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Cam and Avery's relationship was a rocky one with plenty of obstacles. Cam's past, Avery's past, misunderstandings. Their road to happiness was hard fought and no two people deserved it more. I loved this angsty love story.
How do you feel about angsty romance?
Love it or hate it?



14 comments

  1. I actually really like angst in romance books. I mean, it won't always work, but for the most part, I kind of like the drama as long as it's not too much "we're just not talking". haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Lauren! And I had to laugh at the "we're just not talking" reference. Definitely one of my most hated tropes/conflicts. Ugh!

      Delete
  2. I loved The Bronze Horseman series (my favorite!!!), Maybe Someday and A little Too Far series. The angst was amazing. I've heard Lots of great things about Addicted To You and Wait For You but haven't read them yet. :(

    Awesome list! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bronze Horseman is my favorite, too! That book *kills* me!
      The Addicted series (Krista and Becca Ritchie) is excellent! I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  3. I'm not really that into angsty romances. As long as it's not TOO angsty then I can be okay with it. LOL ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it, Aleen. I actually enjoy the angst but even I reach my limits. Sometimes I have to pick up a sweet (angst-free) book for a break. LOL

      Delete
  4. Maybe Someday is an all-time favorite for me! I will forever love that book!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Nicole! Maybe Someday was the first I ever read by Colleen Hoover and I have such a soft spot for it. Love, love, love it!

      Delete
  5. I love the Addicted series, especially Ryke Meadows! That guy is awesome. I can't wait for the spin-off with the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Jess! I am crazy excited for Damaged Like Us! I have a hard time picking one favorite from the guys but I usually go with Lo. I have such a soft spot for him. (And Connor... and Ryke... LOL)

      Delete
  6. I'm not one to love angst in books but sometimes it makes it work. I do spy several you have listed that is on my wishlist already. Might have to check out the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a little angst goes a long way... and some people don't like any at all. Thank goodness there's something out there for everyone! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh geez! You know how many books I've read on your list? ONE. And I think you know which one since I credited you for twisting my arm to read it. ;) Do you know how many of the other books I own? ALL OF THEM! *sigh* Too many books, Tanya...too many books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, I know just which one it is. And I happily take full credit. :) And I'm laughing that you own *all* the others. LOL One day, my friend... one day we will find the time to read all the books.

      Delete