Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Settings I'd Love to Visit

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme 

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic: 
Top Ten Books on My Winter TBR
As I was compiling my list for this week's theme something occurred to me. While I've always been a very character-focused reader, I never realized quite how much characters take the focus above all else for me - even setting. Because even though there are some settings listed here that I truly do want to visit (I'm looking at you, Scotland), more often than not it's the characters that I want to spend time with. So here are my picks for bookish setting I want to visit - sometimes as big as a entire country, sometimes as specific as a store. And off we go...


Imperial Russia: The Crown's Game
I've long had a fascination with Russia - the history, the culture, the language. The Crown's Game did a phenomenal job of bringing Imperial Russia to life. 
Rosemary Beach, FL: The Rosemary Beach series
So here's the first case of it being more about the people I want to visit and the setting just happens to be Rosemary Beach. Because, despite being a native Floridian, I don't especially like the beach. But I'd make an exception to hang out with Rush, Blaire and all the rest.
Velaris: A Court of Mist and Fury
This pick combines the perfect blend of setting and characters. Because I would love to see the City of Starlight and stroll through its streets. At the same time I could hang out with Rhys and Feyre, Cassian and Azriel, Mor and Amren. Perfection.
Scotland: Outlander
It's been almost 20 years since I first read Outlander and it ignited an interest in Scotland that has continued all these years. If I visited it would be fun to see Castle Leoch and Lallybroch (assuming they really existed) and then finish off in modern-day Edingburgh.
The Palace in Illéa: The Selection series
Not a fan of the caste system that was in place, or the rebel attacks... but I'd be all for visiting the royal palace.  The women's room, the gardens, the overall opulence - and a tour by Maxon. 
New Orleans: The Wicked trilogy
Considering it's actually within driving distance, I'm surprised I've never visited New Orleans. It seems a lot more interesting if I could go and hang out with Ivy and Ren. And of course eat beignets with Tink.
Denver: The Marked Men series
Okay, no offense to anyone who lives in Denver but I can't say I've ever had a burning desire to visit. But I definitely would like to hang with the Marked gang and since they're in Denver... so be it. I want to visit the tattoo shop(s) and see Rule and Nash and Rowdy at work. I want to go to The Bar and see Rome and Asa. And I totally want to have a girls night out with Shaw, Saint, Cora, Ayden and Royal (Salem isn't invited to my girls night LOL).
Barbary Lane, San Francisco: Tales of the City series
I have so much love for this series and such nostalgia for the unforgettable characters. I want to visit 28 Barbary Lane and spend time with all the inhabitants there: Michael (Mouse) Tolliver, Mary Ann, Mrs. Madrigal, Mona, Brian and all the rest. 
Philadelphia: The Addicted series
Not gonna lie - this one is all about the characters. Philly is just the backdrop for my favorite contemporary series of all time. I'd go anywhere to spend time with these complicated, flawed, amazing people.
Howling Good Reads: The Others series
While I find the world Anne Bishop created in The Others series fascinating, it's also filled with danger so not really a place I'd want to visit. But I'd make an exception for the Lakeside Courtyard and Howling Good Reads. Running into Simon Wolfgard and Vladimir Sanguinati while browsing for a book? Hanging out with Meg at the liaison's office? Getting something to eat from Tess at A Little Bite? Yes, please!


What bookish setting tops your list?

26 comments

  1. Yess for the whole The Selection Series paragraph!!! And let's not forget about the food in the castle hehehe It's kinda important as well. Great list. Here's mine TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Yulia! Can't forget about all that delicious food at the palace! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice list! I haven't read any of these, but I think Scotland would be fun to visit. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outlander was on my list too, I wonder how much that series has increased tourism in Scotland? Sounds like there's a few good places nearby where you live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the Outlander books had some effect on their tourism... but I bet the TV show has really made an impact!

      Delete
  4. Loving your list!! I have Velaris on mine too!! I wish this was an actual place we could visit haha!! Scotland is another place I've always dreamed of visiting. Great picks!!

    My Top 10 Bookish places to Visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit Scotland... but not in Outlander time. I need my modern conveniences! LOL

      Delete
  5. I'd love to visit the Wizarding World from Harry Potter!! I don't always think about the setting much either, unless it's set somewhere in Europe because I DO want to visit Europe again/more.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Lauren! I've only been to Europe twice and would love to go back at some point. Still so many places I want to see!

      Delete
  6. Scotland! I'm still super bitter that I didn't go when I had the chance. I have been considering picking up Outlander, especially since it sounds like the perfect winter read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I feel that way about Paris, Amber. We were in London, had the perfect opportunity to hop over to Paris... and didn't do it. I still regret it.

      Outlander would be a great winter read!

      Delete
  7. Well, other parts of CO are worth seeing w/o the characters. LOL Oh yea, I'd go for Outlander if I can have my own Jamie and I would love to visit Howling Good Reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, is there really any reason to visit Scotland if we can't have our own Jamie? LOL

      Delete
  8. I like that you mixed real and fantasy places on your list. I would love to go to Scotland, just not in Jamie's time. I need modern convinces. Velaris sounded so amazing in the book, so I am all over that one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, if I visit Scotland it's gotta be modern day. (As if I really have a choice. LOL) Totally need the modern conveniences. And Velaris... only if Rhys is included. Ha!

      Delete
  9. I went to college in Denver. I kinda hated it. The mountains of Colorado are great, though.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Wow, so how do you really feel about Denver? =D I'm still chuckling over "I kinda hated it."

      Delete
  10. I need to read Crown's Game. It's been on my TBR for... too long.

    Velaris! I totally want to go there too.

    Haha - The Illean palace with a tour by Maxon. I'm in! :)

    I've been reading Outlander forever and while I'm enjoying it I keep having to set it aside for obligated reading. I am definitely going to finish it next year because 2018 is going to be the year of more reading for ME. Backlist here we come!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sooo many books like that. Ones that I really want to read but just haven't got to yet.

      LOL Maybe Maxon can give us both a tour. :)

      Totally with you on the backlist reading, Di! That's 100% my goal for 2018!

      Delete
  11. I had Imperial Russia and Velaris on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/top-ten-tuesday-136/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit Russia... Imperial or otherwise. It's long been on my travel bucket list. And Velaris... how awesome would that be?!

      Delete
  12. I always wanted to visit New Orleans! is so dark and magical and full of tales! :) Imperial Russia would be awesome too! I love your collage of book covers SO MUCH Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, D! I was so bummed when PicMonkey switched to charging for everything (grrr) but I've actually found a site that I like just as much (photocollage.com). I'm still learning the site and all the options but I love the collages it offers. :)

      Delete
  13. Denver is actually one of my favorite places I've ever been---or, well, the mountains near Denver at least. If I could live anywhere in the US (not counting Hawaii) it would probably be at the top of my list!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, apparently I am missing out with Denver. Actually I wouldn't mind the cold (I don't think) but the mountains... I am not really a fan. I've learned from experience that I don't do well driving in the mountains. I get crazy nervous!

      Delete