Short Take Reviews: Forever Wild | Bombshells | Well Matched

  


The Simple Wild #2.5
K.A. Tucker
4.5 stars


The holiday season is upon Calla and Jonah, and with the mistletoe and gingerbread comes plenty of family drama. Jonah is bracing himself for two weeks with a stepfather he loathes, and while Calla is looking forward to her mother and Simon’s arrival, she dreads the continued pressure to set a date for their wedding … in Toronto. Add in one bullheaded neighbor’s unintentional meddling and another cantankerous neighbor’s own family strife, and Christmas in Trapper’s Crossing will be anything but simple. 

*****

This return to Trapper’s Crossing gave me absolutely everything I wanted, and then some. I loved the chaos as Calla and Jonah welcomed their family and friends for Christmas. Seeing the place Calla had made for herself in the town, forming strong friendships, and putting down roots put such a smile on my face. She’s come a long way, baby. Her relationship with Jonah continues to be one that holds a special place in my heart. I loved the continuing side story with Roy and was so satisfied with the outcome. The various relationship dynamics had me feeling the tension between Jonah and Bjorn, appreciating Muriel’s willingness to do whatever it takes (pushiness and all), and always loving the special bond between Calla and Simon.

I adored this continuation of Calla and Jonah’s story and am already looking forward to returning to Trapper’s Crossing yet again for Marie’s story.

*****

BOMBSHELLS

Brooklyn Bruisers #8
Sarina Bowen
4 stars

This is my last chance to ditch my playboy reputation and finally fulfill my potential. So I’ve made three rules for our biggest season yet: no boozing, no women, and no scandals.

Especially that last thing.

So who do I befriend on the very first day back at the rink? An amazing female hockey player. I want Sylvie in a way that’s more than just friendly. I crave her. But I have a championship to win, and so does she.

Then she gets her heart broken by my teammate, and I make the foolish mistake of comforting her in the best way I know how. Our night together sets off a string of sins.

Nobody can know about our affair, especially my overprotective teammate. I can’t let anyone see into my greedy little heart. Not even her.

The things I want from her, and the things we’ve already done? If anyone knew, there’d be bombshells.

*****

Reasons why Sarina Bowen nailed it with Bombshells:

1. Anton Bayer. The dreamy, blue-eyed hockey player was seriously swoony. Trying to clean up his rep as a prankster playboy, Bayer was singularly focused on securing his spot on the team and improving his image. Seriously sweet (though he might say otherwise), funny, and with a heart of gold. He was a good friend and teammate and his dedication to the kids he volunteered with was something special.

2. Sylvie Hansen. Bowen created a special heroine in Sylvie, a badass goalie who was committed to the game. Sylvie also struggled with her complicated feelings for Bryce Campeau, a teammate of Anton’s, and someone she had known since she was a teenager. As the relationship with Anton progressed, I loved her no-nonsense attitude and her willingness to speak her mind with him.

3. The humor. Sarina Bowen always kills it when it comes to adding humor that is genuinely funny, not over the top, and feels totally authentic to the characters and the situations. There were so many laugh out loud moments and I especially loved Anton’s lyrics sung to the tune of Barry Manilow’s Copacabana. Another favorite: all of Anton’s Frankenwords that never failed to make me laugh.

4. The love triangle that wasn’t a love triangle. I was so onboard with how Bowen handled the complicated relationship Sylvie had with Bryce and how it played out. There never really was a romantic relationship between the two, so there was no actual love triangle. But they did have a history and Sylvie’s feelings were totally understandable. Watching her come to terms with what they meant felt so believable.

5. All the rest! Anton + Sylvie’s friendship. The banter between all the Bruiser’s. The kids at the pool. The hockey. The Petra-Bryce surprise! The burgeoning relationship with Anton and his half-brothers. *chef's kiss*

*****

WELL MATCHED

Well Met #3
Jen DeLuca
3 stars

Single mother April Parker has lived in Willow Creek for 12 years with a wall around her heart. On the verge of being an empty nester, she’s decided to move on from her quaint little town, and asks her friend Mitch for his help with some home improvement projects to get her house ready to sell.

Mitch Malone is known for being the life of every party, but mostly for the attire he wears to the local Renaissance Faire - a kilt (and not much else) that shows off his muscled form to perfection. While he agrees to help April, he needs a favor, too: She'll pretend to be his girlfriend at an upcoming family dinner, so that he can avoid the lectures about settling down and having a more “serious” career than high school coach and gym teacher. April reluctantly agrees, but when dinner turns into a weekend trip, it becomes hard to tell what's real and what's been just for show. But when the weekend ends, so must their fake relationship.

As summer begins, Faire returns to Willow Creek, and April volunteers for the first time. When Mitch's family shows up unexpectedly, April pretends to be Mitch's girlfriend again...and it doesn't feel so fake anymore. Despite their obvious connection, April insists they’ve just been putting on an act. But when there’s the chance for something real, she has to decide whether to change her plans - and open her heart - for the kilt-wearing hunk who might just be the love of her life.

*****
What I Liked:
- Mitch. He was the shining star of the story. There was so much more to him than met the eye. It was shocking to see how his own family devalued him and made statements that belittled his career and his choices right in front of him. He was so kind and giving and committed to helping his students, his friends, and his community, and he had such a big, accepting heart. He is the reason I gave this one 3 stars; otherwise it would likely have been a DNF.
- The glimpse at previous characters. Specifically Emily and Simon. They remain my favorites from the series and getting to spend time with them, especially at the Faire, was a treat.
But Not So Much:
- April. She almost ruined this one for me. My dislike of her grew as the story progressed and I was practically hate-reading the last third of the book. She constantly harped on the age gap between she and Mitch. They were grown adults; ten years is hardly scandalous. She consistently made assumptions and was super judgey. She judged the Ren Faire, she judged those who tirelessly worked there as loyal volunteers, she judged the small town and those who chose to live there. There was on overall air of dissatisfaction and negativity that came from April and I found her truly unlikable. 


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?

30 comments

  1. I agree, if it weren't for Mitch Well Matched would've been ruined for me. I had a really hard time with April's treatment of him and her family/friends.

    I need to read the book 2 and 2.5 of Simple Wild! Soon! Also need to catch up with the Brooklyn Bruisers series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading Forever Wild has me so ready for the new book next month!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy that these books worked out so well for you here. I am definitely intrigued by KA Tucker, she has been on my wishlist for the longest time. And Sarina Bowen has the best combination in her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K.A. Tucker is a longtime favorite. I started with Ten Tiny Breaths six or seven years ago and never looked back. :)

      Delete
  3. Forever Wild was so good! I read it a couple of weeks ago and didn't realize that it was actually set around Christmas so it was accidentally perfect timing for reading it. I liked Well Matched more than you did but I definitely get where you're coming from with April fixating so much on the age gap. That annoyed me a little too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we both read Forever Wild at just the right time! :)

      Delete
  4. I loved Forever Wild and thought it was a great way to close out Calla and Jonah's story! Although, I am looking forward to glimpses of them in Marie's story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers are crossed that they'll make some appearances in Running Wild.

      Delete
  5. I loved all of these reviews (and books), but your review for Bombshell was perfection! It reminded me why I loved it so much. I can't wait for Shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna! I'm so excited for Drake's story in Shenanigans.

      Delete
  6. I'm really looking forward to reading Forever Wild. Glad you enjoyed it!! I also struggle in age gap romances when the older person goes on and on about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good age gap romance but when one of them harps on it constantly... ugh. So annoying.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yeah, as much as I loved Mitch, April almost ruined it for me.

      Delete
  8. Forever Wild sounds awesome. Nice when a continuing series just works...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the sound of Forever Wild. I typically enjoy any book that has a wilderness setting, and that combined with family drama is always a recipe for a good read in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each book in this series has had plenty of focus on Calla adjusting to life in the harsh Alaska conditions.

      Delete
  10. I was happy with Forever Wild, which was good because book two was not super the best for me. It had moments, but I struggled a bit during that book. I loved April's book. I related to her, her concerns, and her emotions as a single mom. I understood why she said/did the things she did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I read Wild at Heart but I don't remember having any issues with it. I appreciated seeing Calla's struggles to settle into her new life. And seeing her and Jonah get married in this one... loved it!

      Delete
  11. One of these days I need to read The Simple Wild. I've heard nothing but good things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It remains a favorite of mine. Tucker is such a gifted storyteller.

      Delete
  12. Yay for Bowen's books always being such a huge hit! Next year I will be reading her books ♥. And I'm so sorry that you struggled with April. Ten years is not a huge gap in my opinion either. I'm sorry! But I'm glad you had two other great wins!
    Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to see what you will think of Bowen's books! :)

      Delete
  13. Happy to see you enjoyed Forever Wild as much as I did! I thought it was the perfect addition to the series for fans. I'm excited for Marie's story, as well. Lots of great books coming next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad I read Forever Wild when I did. It meant I didn't have long to wait for Running Wild! :)

      Delete
  14. I must admit that April got on my nerves too but I still enjoyed Well Matched... She just didn't deserve the awesome that was Mitch, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes! I found myself wishing Mitch would ditch April and find someone who actually appreciated him. Ha!

      Delete