Review: Crowbones by Anne Bishop

CROWBONES

by Anne Bishop
Publication date: March 8, 2022
Series: The Others #8 | The World of The Others #3
Format: Audio
Source: Audible
4 Stars

In this engrossing and gripping fantasy set in the world of the New York Times bestselling Others series, an inn owner and her friends must find a killer-before it's too late....

Crowbones will gitcha if you don't watch out!

Deep in the territory controlled by the Others-shape-shifters, vampires, and even deadlier paranormal beings-Vicki DeVine has made a new life for herself running The Jumble, a rustic resort. When she decides to host a gathering of friends and guests for Trickster Night, at first everything is going well between the humans and the Others.

But then someone arrives dressed as Crowbones, the Crowgard bogeyman. When the impostor is killed along with a shape-shifting Crow, and the deaths are clearly connected, everyone fears that the real Crowbones may have come to The Jumble-and that could mean serious trouble.

To "encourage" humans to help them find some answers, the Elders and Elementals close all the roads, locking in suspects and victims alike. Now Vicki, human police chief Grimshaw, vampire lawyer Ilya Sanguinati, and the rest of their friends have to figure out who is manipulating events designed to pit humans against Others-and who may have put Vicki DeVine in the crosshairs of a powerful hunter.


GOODREADS | AMAZON | AUDIBLE




It’s too bad Anne Bishop can’t write as fast as I can read, because I would happily keep reading about The Others book after book. It’s been three years since the last book in the series (Wild Country), so I was more than ready to dive back into this world that has so thoroughly captured my imagination.

Don’t matter if you caw,
Don’t matter if you shout.
Crowbones will gitcha
If you don’t watch out!


Vicki DeVine has a full house at her inn on Trickster Night. Amid pizza and handing out treats, no one was prepared for who showed up – a human dressed as Crowbones, the Crowgard’s version of the bogeyman. The crows are terrified, the guests are rattled, and the trickster is found dead. This sets into motion a series of events that draws the attention of the Elders – and a Hunter that has its own brand of justice.

I was sucked right into the happenings at Lake Silence and the nearby town of Sproing. Familiar characters from the previous book set at Lake Silence were there, as well as plenty of new faces. And the small cameos from beloved characters at the Lakeside Courtyard made my heart swell and put a huge smile on my face.

The short chapters switched POV between several main characters and kept the story fresh and interesting as events were seen through different eyes. I continue to be fascinated by the Sanguinati (vampires) and was happy to see their presence increased in this entry. Bishop does a great job at balancing tense scenes with lighter moments and I love the humor that often comes from interactions between Vicki and the terra indigene (The Others). Some of my favorite moments included The Five - Elders who have taken an interest in Vicki and the happenings at her inn.

Alexandra Harris, who has voiced all eight books in the series, returns to narrate Crowbones and I enjoyed her familiar voice(s) just as much as I enjoyed returning to the world of The Others. Every single voice is distinctive, and I always knew which character was speaking.

Crowbones was an exciting, entertaining mystery wrapped in an urban fantasy setting and I enjoyed it from start to finish. Fingers crossed that it won’t be another three years until I can return to the World of The Others.

You May Also Enjoy...

      
Covers link to GoodReads




24 comments

  1. That cover freaks me out! I'm glad it was a read you enjoyed. I love short chapters that switch. It makes a story fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to check out this series. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review for one of the books and it sounds like this new one is going to be just as big a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - Urban fantasy is not my usual genre, but this series just does it for me. I've loved each book.

      Delete
  3. I also enjoyed this one. I loved it when the Elders interacted with Vicki. I am sure that when I do a re-read, I will pick up the audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole - Same here! I love when The Five came to shop for books at the Jumble. That was priceless. :)

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear some of the Lakeside Courtyard peeps make an appearance. You have me more excited to get back to this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - I practically squealed when Simon and Meg made a cameo! :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful review! I'm so glad you're enjoying this series, it sure sounds excting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - Thank you! It's such a fun series and I look forward to each new release.

      Delete
  6. Ha! That would be amazing if authors could write as fast as we read right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three years is a long time to wait for a book, but what treat that you enjoyed it so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Yes it was a long wait! But thankfully I had plenty of good books to pass the time. :)

      Delete
  8. I can't believe I still haven't started this series. I've been wanting too.. but well.. To much to read to little time. I definitely want to start it soon now after reading your review.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen - I hope you'll enjoy the series as much as I have if/when you decide to try it!

      Delete
  9. I still haven't read any of this series or the original series from Anne Bishop and I honestly don't know why. It sounds like she might write at a speed which will give me plenty of time to catch up though if I would just read one of her books already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky - So true. If it's going to be another 3 years before the next book, you have PLENTY of time to catch up. LOL

      Delete
  10. I haven't rear this spin-off series yet. I LOVE the others but couldn't' care less about the humans so I tend to be bored when she goes in that direction a lot.


    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a mix of humans and Others, just like all the rest. I love the interactions and the wary alliances.

      Delete
  11. What a great review you have here. Its always the best when you can just get pulled right into the story even if its been a while since the previous book was released

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee. Even with the gap between books, it was easy to fall right back into this world. :)

      Delete
  12. I didn't realize it had been 3 years between books! I love this series, too, as you know so I was thrilled to get another story. Loved the cameo of Meg and Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Crazy how long it's been since the last book! The Meg-Simon cameo had me grinning ear to ear. :)

      Delete