Short Take Reviews: Consolation and Conviction by Corinne Michaels

 

About a year ago I decided to do a deep dive into Corinne Michaels' backlist. I love her books so why not go back to the beginning, right? So I read her first two published novels, Beloved and Beholden from her Salvation series, and well... let's say that I wasn't blown away. (You can read my thoughts here.) And I decided I would stick with her newer releases.

Fast forward one year and I've done a total 180. I've been on a major Corinne binge lately and that made me want to go back to the beginning... again. So I went back to the Salvation series. And I am hooked! I'm now six books into the series and I don't want it to end. I can't explain it. The characters that drove me crazy in those first two books, I now adore. *shrugs* Here are my short and sweet thoughts on the Consolation Duet, books three and four in the overall series. 

by Corinne Michaels
Series: Consolation Duet #1/Salvation series #3
Format: Audio 
Source: Audible Plus

At 27, Natalie was married to her high school sweetheart and expecting their first child. Receiving the news that Aaron, a former Navy Seal, was killed while on a security mission overseas, left her devastated and grief-stricken. When Aaron’s best friend Liam showed up after the birth of her daughter, offering his help and support, she quickly came to lean on him. His friendship and support helped her come back from a dark place and feel like herself again. They’d been friends for years through Aaron, but now a bond was forming separate from him. They were both grieving the loss of Aaron while struggling with feelings that went beyond the bounds of friendship. Corinne Michaels has a knack for writing sympathetic characters and that meant I felt Natalie’s heartbreak and pain, as well as Liam’s conflict as he dealt with the loss of his best friend and his own feelings for his friend’s widow. This one ended on a major cliffhanger which had me starting the next book immediately. 4.25 stars

by Corinne Michaels
Series: Consolation Duet #2/Salvation series #4
Format: Audio
Source: Audible Plus

There’s little I can say about the plot of Conviction without major spoilers, so this review will be intentionally vague. Natalie had been dealt some major, life-changing blows in Consolation. Unfortunately, her life continued to take some unexpected turns and she was forced to adjust yet again. I loved Natalie’s strength and resilience and was desperate to see her get her happy ending. She showed such grace under pressure and concern for the feelings of others – until she reached her limit and put herself and her own needs first. Natalie changed and grew as a character, and it was so satisfying to watch her journey. Beyond Natalie, Corinne Michaels created a hero unlike any other and he will, without a doubt, go down as one of my favorite fictional heroes. His situation was just as heart wrenching as Natalie’s and seeing his steadfastness and his vulnerability was touching. There was romance and laughter and tears, and an ending that could not have been more perfect. 
4.25 stars


Have you read either of these books?

13 comments

  1. I haven't read this author or this series, but you have me intrigued by the cliffhanger ending and what could possibly be happening in the second book. Natalie does sound like a fantastic character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - The cliffhanger was a jaw-dropper and had me diving right the next book! :)

      Delete
  2. I've read these. I gave the first one 5 stars and the second 4. The belonging ones 3 and then 5. Then, I think I gave up. I think I got frustrated with them all being duets or something. I can't even remember now. I'm glad this duet worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I actually don't mind the duets but I can totally see where it might be a little annoying to some readers. I will say that book #5 (Mark & Charlie's story) is a standalone and it's possibly my favorite of the series. There was a lot more action/intrigue in that one and I was so invested.

      Delete
  3. I have not read anything yet by Corinne Michaels, but I want to soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - She's become a real favorite over the last couple years. I love her emotional stories.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any Corinne Michaels books. It's funny how we do complete 180s sometimes. I guess sometimes you have to approach things from a different direction to "get" them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read them but I used to be a fan of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you didn't go back to a book you once loved only to find out you don't love it any more; this way is much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read these, I haven't read many of her books yet. But I do love reading backlisted books for favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already have tears in my eyes. Such a tragic story (those covers are really beautiful)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice when a favorite author's series is even better the 2nd time around. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete