Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Heroines

 

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.


This Week's Top Ten Tuesday Topic:
Favorite Heroines
 
This week's topic is favorite heroines which, for me, was an easy topic. I've read so many books with heroines that, for one reason or another, made an impact on me. When choosing my picks, a common theme I noticed is that so many of these characters had something to overcome. Their circumstances were vastly different, but most were overcoming something: loss, career setbacks, mental health challenges, and more. That sense of overcoming despite the odds made these characters some of my favorite fictional heroines. 


Yasmen | Before I Let Go - Despite devastating loss, Yasmen fought her way back from depression and grief.

Constance | The Things We Leave Unfinished - Brave and self-sacrificing, Constance stepped in and did what needed to be done.

Julia Wychwood | The Belle of Belgrave Square - In a time where a young woman had no real agency, Julia showed true grit and created an opportunity to change her life.

Annika Rose | The Girl He Used to Know - I felt immense empathy for Annika as she tried to navigate a world she didn't understand, that also didn't understand her.

Meg Corbyn | The Others series - I loved Meg's childlike quality - her sweetness and kindness - while also being incredibly determined to claim her life as her own.

Bristol | The Grip trilogy - From lousy parents, to a bad relationship, to the right relationship, from prejudice and loss, Bristol worked through it all and fought for her happy ending.

Jenna Holland | Gage - Physical scarring left Jenna struggling with self-image and self-confidence. I loved seeing her make strides to come out of her shell and live life to fullest with confidence.

Naomi May | Where the Lost Wander - Naomi's spirit saw her through incredible hardship and her perseverance had me cheering her on.

Sal Casillas | Kulti - My favorite of Zapata's heroines, Sal was driven and ambitious and no stranger to hard work. I loved how fiercely she loved her family and her loyalty to those closest to her.

Carrie Soto | Carrie Soto is Back - I didn't always like Carrie, but I respected her. Her choices weren't always popular, and often came with great personal cost, but I admired her work ethic, her focus, and her dedication. The changes in her over the span of the novel were sometimes subtle, but meaningful.


Have you read any of these books?

30 comments

  1. Before I Let Go sounds really good!

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-character-traits-for-heroines/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choices! It was fun to see Bristol make the list. I also had Carrie Soto on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - Bristol really went through the wringer and dealt with a lot over the span of those books. But she was so awesome and always stood her ground and fought back.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a lot of Taylor Jenkins Reid, but from what I have I have enjoyed her female characters. Haven't read Soto but I did start Seven Husbands recently... some interestiung female characters there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - So many great female characters in The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I was fascinated by Evelyn. She was flawed, but unforgettable.

      Delete
  4. What a great list Tanya. I just read 'Before I Let Go' and I totally agree with you about Yasmen. What a strong woman! Definitely a heroine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen - Wasn't Yasmen wonderful! She'd been through so much but had fought her way back to a good place.

      Delete
  5. I also chose Naomi and nearly chose Carrie Soto!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - I love that you chose Naomi, too. She was such a strong character and I loved her story.

      Delete
  6. So many great female characters! I love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forever Carrie. LOVED her! And Jenna. What she went through. A fighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Yes! Carrie was such an interesting, flawed character. Loved her.

      Delete
  8. Same! I love to watch characters overcome hardships and find the strength that is inside them. It absolutely endears me to them.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - I find it so rewarding to watch a character overcome hardship. I'm always cheering them on!

      Delete
  9. Sal Casillas from Kulti is on my TTT as well and I loved Julia Wychwood in The Belle of Belgrave Square, too! Great list, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I just loved Sal! Her closeness with her dad was so sweet.

      Delete
  10. I feel so guilty that I have only read ONE of these haha I am so bad. I have tried Kennedy Ryan though, unfortunately her writing style isn't for me. But I know many loved those books you have listed. I ADORED Sal from Kulti, she is superb! I have been seeing that Harmon on multiple lists for heroines on this though so I do need to get to that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee - I just loved Sal. Her loyalty to her family, her closeness with her dad, her work ethic... she was so great. And I always love Amy Harmon's heroines. She writes such great characters.

      Delete
  11. I only know Meg and Carrie but yes to both! Carrie was so prickly and didn't even want love but I did anyway. lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - Carrie was one tough cookie - and her own worst enemy. But it was impossible not to cheer her on.

      Delete
  12. I just got Before I Let Go from the library and I can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been seeing Carrie Soto a lot lately! I need to check that one out at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to read Carrie Soto. I feel like I'm missing out because everybody loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read Carrie Soto, The Girl He Used to Know, and Kulti, all great choices! Before I Let Go and Where the Lost Wander are both on my tbr, so I'm happy to see they're ones you've enjoyed! Happy Reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meg is such a great pick! I just started Kulti today. I'm looking forward to digging into it further.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great list! I enjoyed Carrie Soto's story too. I agree she wasn't always likable, but it was hard not to admire and respect her commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A million times yes to Constance! She was phenomenal and that book just pulls on my heart thinking about it ♥.

    ReplyDelete