Short Take Reviews: Circle B Ranch series | Books 5 thru 9

 

The Circle B Ranch series was a lot of fun and while I was sorry to see it come to an end, I loved spending time with these characters that I've come to know and love over the span of nine books (actually, thirteen books if you count the Bishop Family Origin series). While I had my favorites characters and favorite books, I always enjoyed spending time at the ranch with the Bishop clan and watching as the family expanded with new spouses and children. Here are my quick thoughts on books five through nine. 

Kissing the Cowboy
by Kennedy Fox
Series: Circle B Ranch #5
Tropes: Friends to Lovers, Fake Dating 

After several drinks, Harper tells her business rival that she is engaged. Once sober, she begs her best friend since childhood, Ethan, to play the part and keep up the charade. Ethan would do anything for Harper - he's been in love with her for years, but has never told her. Ethan's pining for Harper was everything and I loved the way he adored her. Of course, the lines got blurred and real feelings got involved and I ate it up. Ethan's willingness to lay his heart on the line was super swoony and I loved the ease in their relationship. One of my favorites in the series. 4.25 stars

Winning the Cowboy
by Kennedy Fox
Series: Circle B Ranch #6
Tropes: Enemies to Lovers 

There had been a lot of lead-up to Kenzie and Grayson's story. She hated the poor guy and he couldn't figure out why. I wasn't a big fan of their prank war (it felt childish and immature) but I really warmed to them both once they called a truce. When they started to open up and be vulnerable with one another, their relationship really started to develop. I loved Grayson's dogged determination to win Kenzie over, and I appreciated Kenzie's soft center underneath all the stubbornness and sass. 4 stars

Claiming the Cowboy
by Kennedy Fox
Series: Circle B Ranch #7
Tropes: Love Triangle, Childhood Friends

Hadleigh had been best friends with the Bishop twins, Knox and Kane, all her life. When she and Knox took their harmless flirting to the next level, they kept their hook-ups under wraps. Things took a turn when Kane confessed his feelings for Hadleigh and she found herself caught between the two brothers. This was not one of my favorites in the series because I never felt a strong emotional connection between Hadleigh and the brother she ended up with. Instead, their relationship seemed based on the nonstop sexcapades and how far they pushed their boundaries and experimented. Still it ended as it should and provided a good set-up for the next book. 3.5 stars

Tempting the Cowboy
by Kennedy Fox
Series: Circle B Ranch #8
Tropes: Age Gap, Sibling's Best Fried

Ivy was an introverted bookworm (fist bump for Ivy) and had a secret crush on Kane Bishop - who happened to be her sister Hadleigh's best friend. There were times the attraction seemed mutual, but the timing was always off. When Ivy finally made her move, Kane was right there returning her feelings. I loved how Ivy was able to be herself around Kane, and she felt seen and heard by him. Kane was a sweetheart and loved it when Ivy read to him (definite book boyfriend material) and it was so rewarding to see him finally find his person. 4.25 stars

Seducing the Cowboy
by Kennedy Fox
Series: Circle B Ranch #9
Tropes: Friend with Benefits

At 30 years old and no romantic prospects in sight, Kaitlyn Bishop has given up on waiting for the right man. Desperate for a family of her own, she decides to move forward with having a child. She's floored when her best friend, Payton, offers his services. She's not sure it's a good idea, but her desire for a baby is strong enough that she's willing to take the chance. Naturally, they both develop feelings but are too stubborn to admit it. Kaitlyn's single-minded obsession with getting pregnant was a turn-off for me and it really overtook the story. I enjoyed Payton's back story and his devotion to Kaitlyn (even when she seemed blind to it). The epilogue that featured all the couples from the series was a real highlight. 3.5 stars



Have you read this series?

18 comments

  1. I haven't read this series, but these covers are really pretty! And for such a long series to have all these unique premises, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - I guess these are their "discreet" covers. The original covers are all shirtless cowboys. lol

      Delete
  2. I thought Tempting the Cowboy was fun. I want to read the rest of these books now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - Tempting the Cowboy was one of my favorites from the series, but I did enjoy getting all their stories. I loved the big Bishop family. :)

      Delete
  3. I have not heard of this series or author before, but it seem like it's perfect for me. I'm adding this to my tbr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - I hope you enjoy Kennedy Fox if you decide to give their books a try. They're so good at small-town steamy romances. :)

      Delete
  4. I think I read that original Bishop series. I'm glad to hear it continues to be a good series. I'm sorry this is the end for you with the authors splitting up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I loved the OG Bishop Brothers series. And the Circle B spin-off with all their kids was a lot of fun. I'm sad that we now won't get the 3rd gen series.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this series, BUT, I have heard some great things and this is a good reminder to try this series out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee - Kennedy Fox is my go-to for small town, steamy romance that is never heavy. I hope you'll like their books if you decide to give them a try!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read this series yet, but it sounds really good. And I've been wanting to try a book by this author. I'll definitely add these to my TBR. (Glad you're back ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! It feels to be back to blogging after being sick. I hope you'll enjoy Kennedy Fox if/when you pick up their books!

      Delete
  7. I have not read this series, but I'll put in on the list seeing as you enjoyed all 13 books. I do enjoy small town romances with a big, loving family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Kennedy Fox has been such a go-to author (duo) for me for the past couple years. Their books aren't going to win any awards, but I always love their steamy small town romances. :)

      Delete
  8. Not only have I not read this series, but I have not read a book by Fox. I was bit sad to see the last book rated a bit low. I kind of think that set up could be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Kennedy Fox has series that I just gobble up like candy. They're emotional without ever being heavy and I always get drawn into the family/friend group and am so invested in all the characters. And the steam level is... *fans myself* lol I was excited for the set-up for the last book, but the execution left me a tiny bit disappointed. Kaitlyn was so single-minded about getting pregnant that she was blind to everything else. I mean, after trying for one month she was talking about seeing an infertility doctor. She was kind of obsessed and I just couldn't relate.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like it was a great series overall! I could see myself enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole - It was such a fun series and I was sad to see it come to an end.

      Delete