Review: Iron Flame | Rebecca Yarros

IRON FLAME
by Rebecca Yarros
The Empyrean #2
Pub: 11/7/2023
Entangled: Red Tower Books
884 pg. (Kindle version)

Everyone expected Violet Sorrengail to die during her first year at Basgiath War College—Violet included. But Threshing was only the first impossible test meant to weed out the weak-willed, the unworthy, and the unlucky.

Now the real training begins, and Violet’s already wondering how she’ll get through. It’s not just that it’s grueling and maliciously brutal, or even that it’s designed to stretch the riders’ capacity for pain beyond endurance. It’s the new vice commandant, who’s made it his personal mission to teach Violet exactly how powerless she is–unless she betrays the man she loves.

Although Violet’s body might be weaker and frailer than everyone else’s, she still has her wits—and a will of iron. And leadership is forgetting the most important lesson Basgiath has taught her: Dragon riders make their own rules.

But a determination to survive won’t be enough this year.

Because Violet knows the real secret hidden for centuries at Basgiath War College—and nothing, not even dragon fire, may be enough to save them in the end.


REVIEW:


I imagine the question on every reader’s mind when they pick up Iron Flame is: can it possibly live up to Fourth Wing? For me the answer is a resounding yes.

After the jaw dropping ending of Fourth Wing (hello cliffhanger), I was excited to find that Iron Flame wasted no time in throwing me right back into the action. The plot of Iron Flame expanded far beyond the walls of Basgiath, and Violet’s previous goal of simply surviving her first year at the war college paled in comparison to the even higher stakes she now faced. Violet was attempting to come to terms with her new reality and it’s fair to say that her confidence was shaken. Now plagued by nightmares, and still reeling from a heartbreaking loss, she felt unable to lean on her friends for support, and instead kept them at arm’s length to protect them. The lack of support and the fragile state of her relationship with Xaden made for a very angsty Violet.

Friendships that were formed in Fourth Wing only strengthened in Iron Flame and I loved seeing those secondary characters play important roles in the expanding plot, utilizing their own unique gifts in times of need. But, as in Fourth Wing, Tairn and Andarna were the shining stars and the highlight of every scene they were in. Someone please explain how this (almost) strictly contemporary reader became so emotionally attached to two dragons, because that is my new reality.

As much as I loved the journey, there were some bumps along the way. Violet and Xaden’s relationship (a highlight for me in Fourth Wing) floundered here and trust issues were the common theme. Violet’s insistence on “full disclosure” from Xaden smacked of hypocrisy and their push and pull throughout the book started to feel a bit repetitive. However, Violet’s push for answers has led to more background on Xaden.

Yarros delivered another thrilling, action-packed ride and there were scenes where it felt like I was hanging on for dear life. As the tension amped up to off-the-charts levels, I alternated between my heart stopping and feeling like it was about to beat right out of my chest. Yet again, another ending that had me gasping with shock and desperately wishing I knew when to expect the next installment. While I wait, you can find me online soaking up fan art and theories galore. 4.75 ★

Have you read Iron Flame?




24 comments

  1. I am so glad to hear the series held up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! I already knew Yarros was a great storyteller but she also really knows how to amp up the tension.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I'm glad this one worked out for you. I enjoyed it, even when I found it to be a little slow and long at times. I also liked the Xaden past reveals despite Violet being a hypocrite at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree it was a bit slow at times, and long. I think the Kindle version comes in at 800+ pages (gah!). But even so, I was totally invested and had to know what would happen next.

      Delete
  3. Omg! I loved the dragons! Yes, Violet's repetitive "I can't trust him" was a bit annoying but I loved this exciting installment too! Wasn't a fan of the torture, though! That was so tough to get through! I was enraged for Violet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Yeah, I could kind of understand Violet's trust issues but she really held on to that for far too long. The torture chapter... yes, so hard to get through. And the fact that a certain character was there with her during the torture... wow, that had me sobbing.

      Delete
  4. I haven't started this series yet but I'm glad to know you enjoyed this one almost as much as the first. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - With as little fantasy as I read (like 1 or 2 a year haha) I'm surprised that I'm as hooked on this series as I am!

      Delete
  5. I so agree with you Tanya! I loved it too and can't wait for the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - And now the long wait for the 3rd book begins! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad this one continued the greatness of the first. My family shares books with each other, and I know there's copies of both of these floating around right now. They'll eventually make their way to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - I love that your family passes books around! I hope you'll enjoy Fourth Wing and Iron Flame when they finally make their way to you. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh I really really want to read these.. soon.. hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hena - I so hope you will love them when you get to them!

      Delete
  8. Isn't it funny how many of us have fallen for a couple of dragons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - A few years ago I would have said that was impossible! LOL

      Delete
  9. Hello Tanya! I have finally figured out how to comment on a Blogger blog again! Yes, I caved and read Fourth Wing. I'm not a huge fantasy reader so there was a bit too much war and battle for me, but I can see why people enjoyed it! Loved those dragons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! Good to see you again! :) I'm definitely not a fantasy reader either, but something about about this series has really grabbed me. The dragons are a large part of that. LOL

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed this one though not quite as much as Fourth Wing. I definitely agree about Violet's hypocrisy with the full disclosure thing. And the ending of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - Yarros definitely knows how to end things on a cliffhanger, doesn't she?!

      Delete
  11. I think I'm the last person not to have read this series lol I'm glad the series is holding up for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - I'm that way with a lot of majorly hyped books. It feels as if *everyone* is reading the book except me... and I'm the one that has zero interest in it. Ha!

      Delete
  12. I rated this one a little lower than you did but I still really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next installment, mainly because of the way this one ended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - Even though I felt this one lagged a little at certain points, my enjoyment level had me rating it high. :)

      Delete