Review: The Trail of Lost Hearts | Tracey Garvis Graves


The Trail of Lost Hearts
by Tracey Garvis Graves
Pub: March 26, 2024
Source: St. Martin's Press/NetGalley
4.25 stars


Thirty-four-year-old Wren Waters believes that if you pay attention, the universe will send you exactly what you need. But her worldview shatters when the universe delivers two life-altering blows she didn’t see coming, and all she wants to do is put the whole heartbreaking mess behind her. No one is more surprised than Wren when she discovers that geocaching―the outdoor activity of using GPS to look for hidden objects―is the only thing getting her out of bed and out of her head. She decides that a weeklong solo quest geocaching in Oregon is exactly what she needs to take back control of her life.

Enter Marshall Hendricks, a psychologist searching for distraction as he struggles with a life-altering blow of his own. Though Wren initially rebuffs Marshall’s attempt at hiker small talk, she’s beyond grateful when he rescues her from a horrifying encounter farther down the trail. In the interest of safety, Marshall suggests partnering up to look for additional caches. Wren’s no longer quite so trusting of the universe―or men in general―but her inner circle might argue that a smart, charismatic psychologist isn’t the worst thing the universe could place in her path.

What begins as a platonic road trip gradually blossoms into something deeper, and the more Wren learns about Marshall, the more she wants to know. Now all she can do is hope that the universe gets it right this time.

________________________________________________________________


When I pick up a book by Tracey Garvis Graves, I already have certain expectations: realistic and flawed characters, a multi-layered story, and an emotional aspect that will engage my heart as well as my mind. The Trail of Lost Hearts delivered on all fronts.
 
Wren is 34, engaged, and a successful social media manager when the rug is pulled from under her. The sudden death of her fianc̩ leaves her floundering. Feeling unmoored and lacking confidence, she treks from Ohio to Oregon for a geocaching trip. When it becomes apparent that hiking solo is not the best option, she teams with fellow hiker/geocacher Marshall for the remainder of her trip. Marshall is thoughtful and kind Рthe perfect traveling companion Рand she finds herself opening up to him and sharing her heartache and confusion. While the attraction between them is apparent, it is just as obvious that Marshall is not being as forthcoming with Wren. Determined to no longer settle for less than she deserves, Wren returns home to Ohio - confused and, yet again, heartbroken. Her life very quickly takes another unexpected turn and she is forced to adjust, even while Marshall is never far from her thoughts.
 
One of my favorites aspects in a Tracey Garvis Graves novel are her characters. They are not cookie cutter archetypes, but people who feel as if they were plucked from the real world: your friend, your coworker, your neighbor. People who are dealing with the messiness of Life – sometimes struggling, sometimes overcoming, but almost always doing the best that they can. Wren and Marshall were so genuinely likable, and I wanted the very best for them – both separately and together. I had so much admiration for Wren as she found her footing and made steps to reclaim her life. Her bravery and her determination to do the right thing had me cheering her on. At the same time, my heart ached for Marshall and I wanted nothing more than for him to find peace.
 
The Trail of Lost Hearts is a story of love and loss, healing and second chances. Filled with heartache, humor, adventure, and romance, this latest novel from Graves is one I will not hesitate to recommend.
 4.25 stars







18 comments

  1. I'm looking forward to picking this up very soon! So happy you enjoyed it, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read one or two books by this author and I have always meant to read more, but I've been a little nervous for reasons in your review: the characters feel like real people. It makes the story even more emotional. Great review for this book. I need to make myself read it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - That's one of the things I love about TGG's books. Her characters always feel like everyday people - and you're right, it does make the story more relatable and more emotional. I think you would probably like this one!

      Delete
  3. Last year I read a nonfiction work called Trail of the Lost that highlighted the dangers of solo hikes on these kinds of trails. So it makes for a great and believable way to connect the two characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - Crazy how the titles are so similar and even share a common plot point!

      Delete
  4. I definitely ached for Wren, but Marshall really broke my heart. I was glad they found each other on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her books can be so brutal that I need to be in that kind of reading mode for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - Her books definitely have an emotional element but I must be made immune by all the dark and angsty books I read. These seem like a cakewalk. lol

      Delete
  6. I'm so looking forward to reading this one...for both the hiking parts and the romance. Now if only my library hold would come in. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by this author yet. Based on your review and the blurbs, I've added this book to my TBR. Looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy - I can't wait to see what you think of it if/when you get to it.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this author but this looks wonderful. I love the outdoor element mixed with the roadtrip and I love a main character who refuses to settle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, poor Wren! But now I feel like I need to know what's going on with Marshall...

    ReplyDelete