Review: Breathe by Abbi Glines

Breathe by Abbi Glines

Series: Sea Breeze #1

Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary

Release Date: June 4, 2013

Format: Trade Paperback

Source: Purchased

Find it here: GoodReads | Amazon

Sadie White's summer job is at the beach, but she won't be working as a lifeguard. Since her mom is pregnant and refuses to work, Sadie will be taking over as a domestic servant for a wealthy family on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie were normal - if she hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house - maybe she'd be excited about working for a rock star. But she's not.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax, but he fights his attraction: relationships never work in his world, and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. Yet as the summer stretches on, Jax's passion leaves him breathless - and Sadie feels like his only source of oxygen.

Can their love overcome the disparity of their lifestyles? One breath at a time, they're going to find out.

Breathe had me rolling my eyes (a lot) but when it comes to Abbi Glines I just can't help myself.

Sadie is sweet, beautiful, and the acting adult in her house since her mother is a child-like flake who can't be bothered to be a grown-up and do things like hold down a job. Sadie is expected to work her mom's domestic help job all summer long while mom kicks back at home because she's pregnant and it's hot and miserable. So naturally I already can't stand the mother.

Sadie quickly learns she's working at the summer getaway home of teen heart throb Jax Stone. For a million and one reasons a relationship between them would never work but obviously it happens anyway. The insta-love is strong and the cheese factor is right up there with Velveeta. Sadie falls in line with the typical Glines female lead: drop dead gorgeous but is completely oblivious to that fact, innocent and naive, and Every. Single. Guy. is crazy in love with her. But she doesn't know it. Of course.

Jax was the typical Glines guy: caveman tendencies, beat his chest anytime someone showed interest in what was "his" (even before he and Sadie were together), and prone to grand declarations of love and how she was the very air he breathed.

But (and I say this every time), I'm still complete trash for Abbi Glines. I simply can't help myself. Yes, I recognize the writing is often crap. Yes, I recognize the formula she uses over and over. Yes, the drama and the cheesiness can be sooo overdone.. But that never seems to stop me. 

Despite it all, Sadie and Jax were both likable characters. Marcus, Sadie's friend/co-worker/side love interest, was a super nice guy (even though he ever stood a chance). And Ms. Mary, head of the household staff at Jax's house, was the kind motherly figure that Sadie never had. 

Breathe was typical Abbi Glines fare (and I actually mean that in a good way) that puts a Cinderella-ish spin on this girl with hard life falls in love with rich and famous celebrity tale. And obviously I'll be inhaling the entire series. 

3/5 STARS


Do you have a certain author you love - even though 
you may have issues with their writing style?


12 comments

  1. I used to be a HUGE Abbi Glines fan when I first discovered her years ago. She was one of the first NA authors I've ever read, and I was so impressed by her, tbh haha. Anyhow, I still think her books are okay for light reads, but I'd probably never want to be associated with any of her heroes. Ever. Also, I loved the part of your review about a "typical Glines guy", because IT IS SO TRUE omg. She seems to recycle ALL the same personal traits for all her heroes and heroines. One thing that bothered me about her books was that many characters seemed DIFFERENT when they were just supporting characters, but as soon as they got their own book, they were just like the previous MCs. Meh. In any case, great review, Tanya! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You are so right! Most times when I read about a guy in a romance I'm all "oh yeah, he would be awesome!" But with an Abii Glines guy IRL, uh, no thanks. Ha! I may still be a sucker for her books, but I can recognize that she recycles the same characters again and again.

      Delete
  2. first: SORRY! sorry sorry sorry it took me so long to visit. I'm going CRAZYYYY with back to school!
    second: I miss your blog SO MUCH! because, boy...
    third: YOU MAKE ME LAUGH SO MUCH!
    hahahahahahahahha seriously this review!
    " cheese factor is right up there with Velveeta." LOL!
    so the innocent and naive beauty and the caveman huh??? rolling eyes factor off the charts LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies ever needed! We all have real lives to lead. :)
      LOL Glad this one was good for a laugh. Sometimes it's hard for me to take Abbi's books seriously. I mean, they can be so over the top and just mindless fun so the review is often just as silly. =p

      Delete
  3. Am I the only one who thinks that cover is a little racy for YA?! But whatever.

    This sentence made me chuckle: "the cheese factor is right up there with Velveeta." haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Rachel. The cover definitely skates the line between YA and NA. I could be wrong, but I think as the series progresses it becomes a NA series but this book was definitely YA - and had a few steamy scenes.

      Delete
  4. We just can't help ourselves when it comes to Glines. She is the book version of daytime soaps for me. Side note: I never watched soap operas, but I knew many people who did and seriously, this is what it was like. What I liked, was how Sadie had this mother who was a total mess and the kid was left being the grownup, but Glines gave her a good support system, which I feel she always does in her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I totally get the correlation. They're both just mindless fun. :) And you're so right about Sadie. Despite having a total flake of a mom, she was given Ms. Mary and others to be there for her.

      Delete
  5. "...the cheese factor is right up there with Velveeta." Omigosh, I can't stop laughing. I've never read an Abbi Glines book, and I don't think I'm likely to because I'm not drawn to contemporary YA or NA romance (so far), but I chuckled through your whole review, and I can definitely see the appeal despite (or maybe even because of) the cheesiness you describe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Glad you got a good laugh, Lark! And thanks for reading a review for a book that you know you're not even going to read! I do that all the time on other blogs but I didn't know that other people did that as well. :)

      Delete
  6. I was so going to quote the Valveeta part but Lark beat me to it. LOL I think I would roll my eyes so hard that they'd get stuck that way. XD Love the review. ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks Aleen! What's so funny to me is that with Abbi's books I am well aware of the problems and do roll my eyes... but at the same time I eat them up with a spoon. Ha!

      Delete