#Blogmas2019 Days 7, 8 & 9: Best Contemporary, Best Debut, Favorite Series #BestBooksof2019


Welcome to Blogmas 2019! 
Blogmas is the creation of Sophie @ Beware of the Reader. This is her third year (I think) doing Blogmas and my second year participating. Sophie has provided some great prompts for this month and I'm excited to participate as often as possible. I'll probably be combining days fairly often, like today. If you'd like to participate, be sure to use the hashtags #Blogmas2019 and #BestBooksof2019.

DAY 7: BEST CONTEMPORARY 

The Girl He Used to Know was one of those rare (well, rare for me) books that was so absolutely me. I clicked with main character Annika and the overall story, and felt a total connection from start to finish. I know some readers took issue with the direction the plot took at the end, but for me it worked. Everything about this contemporary tale felt genuine and emotional and it become an instant favorite.

DAY 8: BEST FIRST WORK/DEBUT

What a surprise Red, White & Royal Blue was! Casey McQuiston delivered a new adult story that had so much to love. Brilliant yet sometimes remarkably clueless Alex, oh so precious Henry, a heart stopping first kiss, text messages that were both hilarious and revealing, the most clever/snarky/witty banter ever, young women who were brilliant and ambitious, politics and campaigns, laugh out loud moments (killer turkeys!), angst, scandal, romantic declarations, epic speeches, and so much more. This was one amazing debut.

DAY 9: FAVORITE SERIES

The Others isn't a new series, and I didn't even read it for the first time this year, but after doing a complete re-read on audio this year it's definitely my favorite series that I read in 2019. I adore the cast of characters that grew to include all manner of both shifters and humans. While the series spun-off (currently two additional books in The World of the Others series), it's these original five books that I feel connected to and will return to again and again.


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?
WHAT WAS THE BEST SERIES YOU READ THIS YEAR?




29 comments

  1. The Girl He Used to Know will be my choice for swoon read Tanya! I loved that one so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red, White and Royal Blue is one I'd love to get my hands on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much love for that one! I hope you'll love it too, when you get to it.

      Delete
  3. I read all but the first one.

    I would say the American Dreamers by Adriana Herrara series was my favorite this year.

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How in the world did I miss American Dreamers? Just added to the TBR.

      Delete
  4. I have not read any of the Bishop books, but I loved both of your other picks. Still hoping for more RW&RB books. That group is rife with possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Sam. I would so be up for stories for June and/or Nora.

      Delete
  5. I loved The Others too! I hope we get more Simon and Meg someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read on her sight that she hasn't decided if she will continue the series... but I sure hope she does.

      Delete
  6. The Girl He Used to Know is absolutely one of my favorites of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always meant to try The Others series. I LOVED Red, White, and Royal Blue. I'm so glad she won some Goodreads awards.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved red white and royal blue! I still haven't read anything by Anne Bishop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bishop's other series just don't interest me for some reason, but The Others is one that I adore.

      Delete
  9. I JUST bought The Girl He Used to Know! It popped up on Book Outlet, and I couldn't resist. I'm happy to hear it worked for you, since it's one I cannot wait to start!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? ☃💬

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved The Girl He Used to Know! I still need to read Red, White & Royal Blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey Garvis Graves created something special with The Girl He Used to Know. I really loved that one.

      Delete
  11. I know I’m not a romance reader, but I kind of want to read Red, White & Royal Blue. I want to know what all the hype is about.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RW&RB was crazy-hyped this year! While it wasn't necessarily a 5 star read for me, I still totally enjoyed it and would recommend it.

      Delete
  12. Ever since I saw The Girl He Used to Know I've been saying that I must get my hands on it and read it! It's the end of the year now and I still haven't done it yet 🙈I'm so awful! Lol Reading your thoughts on it has me even more excited to check it out too. Hopefully soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to read Red, White & Royal Blue! Two of my co-bloggers, Arielle and Cassie, LOVED that book too! I'm keeping my fingers crossed I love it as much as you guys!
    Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hesitant to read it because it was sooo hyped, but I totally enjoyed it. Not a 5 star read for me (but few books are LOL), but I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  14. I really need to read The Others! There is so much praise for this series and you know I love a good UF!
    Red, White and Royal Blue is one that's also growing on me to the point I've added it to my TBR. I was originally put off by the politics element - as I really am not a fan of politics - but Henry and Alex seem too good to miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Others so much! Bishop is unsure if there will be more in the series but I’m crossing my fingers that there will be!

      There’s definitely politics in RW&RB but I thought it was a great balance between the relationships and the political aspect.

      Delete