Short Take Reviews: The Circle B Ranch Series | Books #0.5 - #4

  

My love for Kennedy Fox continues as I make my way through another series by the writing duo. Having read and loved the Roommates Duets series and the Bishop Brothers series, it was time to move on to the Circle B Ranch. This is a second generation series, featuring the (now grown) kids of the couples in the Bishop Brothers series. I'm so hooked on this ever-growing family and their lives at the sprawling Texas ranch they call home.
Circle B Ranch #0.5
Format: Kindle
Trope(s): Enemies to lovers

Braxton, a new ranch hand at the Circle B Ranch, and Katarina, owner of the local bakery, have a steamy one night stand. The next morning Katarina is embarrassed, kicks Braxton out, and proceeds to act like he doesn't exist. When Braxton retaliates by insulting her bakery offerings, it's all out war. What ensues is a battle of wills and a game of one-upmanship. I wasn't a fan of the pranks they played on each other (it felt pretty juvenile) but there was no denying their chemistry. While neither of the lead characters were Bishop's, this novella was still a fun way to kick off the series and provided a great set-up for Riley Bishop's story in the next book. 3.5 STARS

Circle B Ranch #1
Format: Kindle
Trope(s): Accidental Vegas wedding

The last thing Riley Bishop expected to get in Vegas was married. But a night of partying and a dare from his best friend resulted in just that. He was even more surprised when Zoey showed up at the ranch several weeks later, wanting to give their relationship a try instead of following through with the annulment. I loved how Riley was so much like his father (Alex from Taming Him, Bishop Brothers #1). Like his father before him, he was steadfast in his feelings for Zoey and was all-in from the beginning, never doubting despite their unorthodox beginning. I wish that Zoey had shared her secret from the start, rather than Riley being blindsided late in the game, but his willingness to be there for her once he had time to adjust made me love him even more. 4 STARS


Circle B Ranch #2
Format: Audio
Trope(s): Brother's best friend

Diesel has been in love with Rowen Bishop for as long as he can remember. Unfortunately, she is his best friend's sister and decidedly off-limits. When Rowan returns to the ranch after college graduation she finds herself spending time with Diesel and seeing a side of him she's never known. Just as a relationship is on their horizon, Diesel's past catches up to him and changes everything. For years Rowan and Diesel's relationship had been based on sarcasm and insults, and flirting on Diesel's part. Over time, she came to see that Diesel had always been there for her, always looking out for her. Diesel could be a goofball and something of a man-child, but there was nothing childish about his feelings for Rowan. When Diesel manned up to deal with his past (after some initial denial), it went a long way in showing what kind of man he was. 4 STARS


Circle B Ranch #3
Format: Kindle
Trope(s): Age gap

Maize Bishop does all the cooking and baking at the Bed & Breakfast on her family's ranch. Her one rule: she never, ever hooks up with anyone who works on the ranch. Gavin has retired from the rodeo and just accepted a position at the ranch. He and Maize meet at the bar and share one night together, but when he shows up at the ranch she pretends not to remember him. Gavin gives her space for a while but enough is enough and he's determined to break down her walls. I struggled a bit with Maize because she gave new meaning to the word stubborn. The way she ran hot and cold with Gavin was unfair and I was glad when Gavin drew the line, took a step back, and made her come to him and woo him for a change. He was steady and mature and wasn't willing to play games. I appreciated his calm demeanor when dealing with Maize's sometimes fiery temper. 4 STARS


Circle B Ranch #4
Format: Kindle
Trope(s): Single dad, workplace romance

Elle Bishop is on track to become a veterinarian and juggles an internship with Dr. Connor Wallen while attending veterinary school. Elle battles her attraction to Connor even though he is grumpy, taciturn, and sometimes downright rude. Connor has been through a contentious divorce and custody battle and now all he wants is more time with his young daughter. The only way to continue working with Elle is to deny his attraction to her and keep his distance. When Elle graduates and is hired by Connor, the close proximity only intensifies their feelings for one another. The storyline with Connor's daughter really captured my heart and his love and devotion to her was so moving. Seeing Elle and Connor finally admit their feelings to each other had me practically cheering and I appreciated how they became such a team when it came to doing what was best for Connor's little girl. My only quibble was that the first half of the book felt like a rehash of events that took place in previous books, and it was almost the 50% mark before the narrative caught up to where things left off in book #3. 4 STARS



HAVE YOU READ THIS SERIES?

20 comments

  1. I like the addition of the trope up there. I had to find out who the duo were. I am not familiar with them separately or together, but these sound like some solid romances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. Knowing tropes in advance always helps me. There are some I like more than others, and some I don't care for at all. I like having a heads up. :)

      Delete
  2. I have not read this series, but I just put a request into my library to purchase Hitching the Cowboy. I'm hoping they purchase it. I love a married in Vegas story. These all sound like fun reads. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - Kennedy Fox is such a go-to for me. Their books are so dependable. And after so many books with this family (first the Bishop Brothers series and now this second gen series) I feel like I know all these people. LOL

      Delete
  3. Hitching the Cowboy is the one that sounds the most fun to me. :D And you gotta love those covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - The covers can get a bit cheesy but the stories are so addictive!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Alicia - I think I'll always have a soft spot for the original Bishop Brothers series, but I love the Circle B Ranch series, too. It's so funny to see Alex and Jackson and the others as parents to grown children now! And as grandparents! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this series. I haven't read this series or any books by this author. I like that you added the main trope to your book items list. It definitely helps me decide if it's something I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni - Same here. I always like know tropes in advance. Sometimes it helps me decide for or against a particular book.

      Delete
  6. I have not read this series but now I really want to! The covers are nice! Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Kennedy Fox is a go-to of mine. Their books are so addictive.

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you enjoyed another Kennedy Fox series. It's been a while since I've picked up one of their books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - I just love bingeing their series. It's fun to immerse myself with the characters.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, I do love cowboy romances! For some reason I didn't know Kennedy Fox were a writing duo. I must add this series to the list as they do sound like my kind of reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I hope you'll enjoy the series if you decide to give it a try!

      Delete
  9. I haven't read this series, but I love the variety in tropes! Accidental Vegas wedding is always a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - an accidental Vegas marriage is always a fun trope. :)

      Delete