Short Take Reviews: Tattered | Timid | Tragic (Devney Perry)

 

As much as I love Devney Perry, somehow I had not read the Lark Cove series, which is one of her earliest series. I decided to remedy that in August and binged the first three books. Hopefully I'll finish the series this month!
 

Tattered
by Devney Perry
Series: Lark Cove #1
Pub: 6/19/2018
Format: Audio
4.25 stars

Abandoned as an infant and growing up in an orphanage left Thea feeling both unlovable and desperate for a family. When a one-night stand results in an unplanned pregnancy, Thea leaves New York City for a quieter life with her found family in Lark Cove, Montana. Logan has never forgotten the woman he met bartending at a hotel bar almost six years ago and he’s astonished to see her while on a business trip in Montana. That quickly turns to shock when he realizes the little girl at her side is his daughter.

There was so much I enjoyed about Tattered. I fell in love with Thea and Logan and 5-year-old Charlie. The way Logan was immediately enamored of his little girl and was desperate for her to like him melted my heart. While Logan accepted his new role as a father quickly, that did not erase the face that they lived across the country from one another, and neither Thea nor Logan had any intention of uprooting their lives. There were times I was frustrated with Logan as he made assumptions that Thea and Charlie would move to New York, determined to fit them into his workaholic life in the city. The ending, and the sacrifices and compromises that were made, was totally satisfying. It seems many reviewers did not care for the secondary plot concerning Thea’s stalker, but I enjoyed the added suspense.

by Devney Perry
Series: Lark Cove #2
Pub: 9/4/2018
Format: Audio
4 stars

Willa has had a crush on Jackson since she was a teenager and first laid eyes on the newcomer to Lark Cove. Long after her friends have told her to give up on her crush and move on, Willa’s feelings have not lessened, despite the fact she seemingly makes little impression on Jackson. When they finally share a kiss and Jackson has no memory of it the next day, she knows it’s time to let her dream go. Of course, that’s when Jackson begins to pursue Willa and realizes what a special woman has been right in front of him all along. Unfortunately, Jackson’s past has him dead set against commitment, and he knows Willa is a woman who wants forever.

Jackson disappointed me at times with the way he continued the relationship with Willa, knowing that he would at some point walk away. It felt selfish and cruel. But I also felt for him because while he told himself he would never fall in love or settle down, he was also lonely and desperate for someone to choose him and care for him. Willa was a sweetheart, so selfless and willing to give of herself, and I admired her for sticking by Jackson and fighting for him when he tried to walk away (something no one else had ever done). The secondary plot with Jackson’s mother (ugh, horrible person!) and the bombshell she dropped into his life was handled so well, and the support Jackson received from those around him warmed my heart.

by Devney Perry
Series: Lark Cove #3
Pub: 11/13/2018
Format: Audio/Kindle
First half: 3.5 stars | Second half: 4.25 stars

Kaine knows the meaning of loss more than most. When he retreats to Lark Cove and buys a cabin in the woods, he wants only to be left alone with his grief. Piper has just moved to Lark Cove and when she buys a cabin to renovate, she encounters the surly and standoffish Kaine. Ready for a fresh start after a divorce, she wouldn’t mind having a fling with the gorgeous man next door. The result is a shock for them both and forces Kaine to face his past.

Tragic was a mixed bag for me and I struggled through the first half. Part of the problem was the female narrator who I wasn’t jibing with (which resulted in me abandoning the audio version and switching to Kindle), but I also wasn’t feeling any connection between Piper and Kaine. They had a friends with benefits situation going and it was tough to feel invested in them as a couple. My feelings did a total one-eighty in the second half as Piper and Kaine faced an unexpected hiccup to their arrangement and Kaine finally faced his grief and anger head on. It was Kaine’s story that crushed my heart and had me shedding tears. His journey made every page (and every tear) worthwhile. (Side note: Realizing that Kaine’s brother Isaiah was the Isaiah from Riven Knight – my favorite book in the Clifton Forge series – had me squealing with delight!)



Have you read this series?

8 comments

  1. Always love found family, and Thea's story definitely calls to me. I am curious about Tragic and glad it got better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this series, but I have the first one on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tattered sounds really good. I like a little suspense with my romance. I enjoyed Tragic more than you did and I loved Riven Night too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had quite the journey with the Lark Cove series! Your reviews capture the complexities and emotions of the characters and their relationships beautifully. It's always interesting to see how a series evolves, and although this isn't my go-to genre, your insights make me want to give these books a read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reviews Tanya, you almost (almost) convince me to read her books again even after her awful treatment of bloggers and reviewers back in the day 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you ended enjoying the second half of Tragic. I loved Kaine and of course Isaiah. I just recently downloaded Tinsel because I've only managed to read these 3 so far. But, I am currently addicted to the Hades Hangmen, so Lark Cove is gonna have to wait a little longer. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually have never read Devney Perry, but my sister loves her! I think that second book would have been tough for me - it sounds like Willa was so much more invested than Jackson and begging/forcing him to stay with her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you're enjoying these for the most part. I had the opposite experience with the last one with Isaiah because I read these first. I was like oh! Isaiah is Kane's brother! I'm glad at least the second half of that one worked for you. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete