Review: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Series: The Folk of the Air #1

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy

Release Date: January 2, 2018

Format: Hardcover & Audio

Source: Library & Audible

Find it here: GoodReads | Amazon

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

While fantasy is not typically my genre of choice, I have found that stories centering on the Fae do catch my attention and the synopsis of The Cruel Prince definitely piqued my interest. Adding to that is the fact that I loved Black’s take on vampires in The Coldest Girl in Coldtown (one of the few stand-alone novels that I wished was a series). So I had high hopes going into The Cruel Prince and I’m happy to say it did not disappoint.

Jude is taken from her home to the land of Faerie, along with her two sisters, by the man who murdered her parents. Flash forward 10 years and we learn through Jude that the Fae can be a mean-spirited bunch. Clever, conniving, and sometimes brutal. And that’s just among themselves. When it comes to mortals like Jude, their attitudes range from contempt to outright loathing and cruelty. The high king of Faerie will soon step aside and has several sons who are vying for the throne. Jude, determined to obtain some measure of power, seeks to have a position at Court as a knight to the new king. It’s that desire than leads to her involvement in the political intrigue and behind the scenes scheming and plotting. And that’s where the story really takes off.

“What they don’t realize is this: Yes, they frighten me, but I have always been scared, since the day I got here. I was raised by the man who murdered my parents, reared in a land of monsters. I live with that fear, let it settle into my bones, and ignore it. If I didn’t pretend not to be scared, I would hide under my owl-down coverlets in Madoc’s estate forever. I would lie there and scream until there was nothing left of me.”

Layered and Complex Characters.
Black created a large and varied cast of characters with attention paid to developing not just main character Jude but those around her as well. There wasn’t a single under-utilized or cookie cutter character in sight. Each had a story, a personality, a purpose. And more importantly, each had their own motivations and could be self-serving. My favorite aspect of these characters is the fact that there were no obvious heroes or villains. The Cruel Prince is filled with morally grey characters who are driven by their individual wants and desires. Simply put, they all do bad things. 

“What could I become if I stopped worrying about death, about pain, about anything? If I stopped trying to belong? Instead of being afraid, I could become something to fear.” 

Sister/Familial Relationships.
It’s interesting to see the differences in Jude and sisters Taryn and Vivi and how they become more pronounced once in Faerie. There is Jude’s desire for power and a feeling over control, Taryn’s willingness to fit in and play by the rules, and Vivi’s wish to return to the mortal world. Jude is the most conflicted, torn between her wish to fit in and be accepted and her desire for power over those who would do her harm, and this is the catalyst for conflict with each of her sisters at times. 

“If I cannot be better than them, 
I will become so much worse.”

Jude’s relationship with Madoc was one of the most interesting to me. He is the one who stole her away to this land and, while not her father, acted as such and raised her under his protection. He taught her the ways of Faerie, trained her in swordsmanship and strategy, and generally treated her as his daughter. But Jude never forgot his history or his nature and her love for him was always tempered with a measure of fear.

And then there’s Cardan, the eponymous prince. I spent much of the book wanting to claw his eyes out or do other bodily harm, pretty much echoing Jude’s feelings when it came to Cardan. He was condescending, spiteful, and, yes, cruel. But before you start assuming that underneath the hateful exterior that there’s a heart of gold just waiting to be set free, and then unicorns and rainbows abound… yeah, not so fast. Is there more to Cardan than meets the eye? Absolutely. But remember what I said about morally grey characters and no obvious heroes and villains. Just because he may have his own secrets and his own demons, doesn’t mean there’s a swoony nice guy hidden away. Cardan is flawed, acerbic, cynical, and would rather spend his time drinking wine than involving himself in court politics. And yet… well, let’s just say I want to know more.

“I am going to keep on defying you. I am going to shame you with my defiance. You remind me that I am a mere mortal and you are a prince of Faerie. Well, let me remind you that means you have much to lose and I have nothing. You may win in the end, you may ensorcell me and hurt me and humiliate me, but I will make sure you lose everything I can take from you on the way down. I promise you this is the least of what I can do.” 

Political/Palace Intrigue.
Get ready for your head to spin with the ins and outs of Court politics. There are political alliances – and treasons. There are secrets and treachery. There are the dynamics among the various Courts. At any given time I was unsure of who to trust, and how much they could be trusted, until I was finally suspicious of nearly everyone. And with good cause – because they all have their own agendas and there are so many machinations taking place that it feels impossible for Jude to stay one step ahead of the game.

“No matter how careful I am, 
eventually I’ll make another misstep. 
I am weak. 
I am fragile. 
I am mortal.”

Final Thoughts.
I do think The Cruel Prince got off to a slow start and it took a while for it to gather steam. I started off reading a physical copy but, because I was struggling with the pacing, I switched to the audio version. Great decision. The narration is done well and went a long way in helping me get further invested in the plot. Caitlyn Kelly voices each character uniquely and it was always obvious who was speaking. She was able to impart emotion well with Jude and it added a lot to particularly dramatic or emotional scenes.

The Cruel Prince is compelling and quickly drew me in to the story. Even at the start, when I felt the pacing was slow, I was still intrigued by the rich world Holly Black created. Drama and action, politics and intrigue, all of it leading to a thrilling climax that had me on the edge of my seat, totally surprised by the turn of events. If you love tales of the Fae, if you love fantasy, if you love great story telling – pick up The Cruel Prince. You won’t be disappointed.

4.25/5 STARS

Do you plan to read The Cruel Prince?

44 comments

  1. Oh, I was waiting for your review since I've seen that you've read it :) Thank you for sharing, I'll definitely have to add this to my tbr list. Everyone is gushing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tend to avoid hyped books but inevitably I am disappointed, but this one surprised me. I totally enjoyed it and am already excited for the next book. :)

      Delete
  2. I am next in line for the audio at the library. So happy to see you enjoyed this and the audio. Not my typical read either but for some reason this one calls to me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I hope you'll enjoy the audio version as much as I did.

      Delete
  3. I SMELL HATE-LOVE RELATIONSHIP. HOLY CRAP FANTASY, POLITICS, AND ROYAL FAES WITH AN A-HOLE PRINCE?! GIRL COUNT ME IN. I am SO GLAD I read your review, THANK YOU SO MUCH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It has it all, Anne! I hope you'll love it if you decide to read it!

      Delete
  4. YASSSS. I was actually surprised you read this since I know you prefer contemporary. I loved every point you mentioned; the exploration of family dynamics and the moral complexities!

    I am DESPERATE for Cardan to get a redemption arc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I'm totally a contemporary girl, but once in a while something outside of contemporary catches my eye. Funnily enough, the two that have been winners for me have been about Fae. (Maybe I should find some more fae books!) I am so ready for the follow-up. No spoilers, but you know Cardan is not going to make this easy on Jude! :)

      Delete
  5. Holly Black is one those authors that does fantasy so well! I'm hap p you were able to switch to the audio book and enjoyed it. I bet it would be really good that way! I want to read this one, hopefully soon. Wonderful review Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenea! Switching over to audio made a big difference this time. After loving The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and now this one, I'm thinking I need to get my hands on more Holly Black.

      Delete
  6. I was so curious about this book! It's getting a lot of hype! I would like to read it but I'm hesitant because I'm just slowly making my way back to fantasy and fairies are not my favorite fantasy characters. But you make it sound so good! Especially the family and sisterly relationships and the politics and intrigue! I may have to cave here :) Glad you liked it this much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always wary of hype but the synopsis of these really grabbed my attention. And it totally paid off. Might be worth trying even if Fae aren't your favorite.

      Delete
  7. I don't read a ton of fantasy either, but this sounds really well done. Sorry it's a bit slow to start - but good to know now!! I like that the characters are well-written and nuanced. I really appreciate gray characters than just fully evil or fully good, as that's not terribly realistic.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Lauren. All-good heroes or all bad villains just aren't realistic. People aren't like that. I love the way that was played out here.

      Delete
  8. I never thought to switch from book to audio when I wasn't feeling it. I should consider that, if I have the access. Glad it ended up working for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had luck with that in the past - switching format - and I was so glad it worked in this case because I really was excited for this one. :)

      Delete
  9. Wonderful review Tanya! I've heard such good things about this book and I still am anxious to read it. I love a good fantasy if it's well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleen! This one definitely lives up to the hype and I certainly recommend it. :)

      Delete
  10. I love books about fae but I’ve read anothe fae series by Holly Black and it was hard to finish it was so contrived and poorly conceived. It’s hard to believe her writing has changed to be honest and that this isn’t just hype for a bad boy Prince. It worries me you had a hard time getting it to the story reading it, I don’t do well with those at all. ♥️ EXCELLENT review though, Tanya. I enjoyed reading it! We have similar styles in reviewing which I appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani, I appreciate that. I've not read Holly's other fae series so I can't compare but I definitely didn't feel this one was at all contrived. And I definitely didn't get the "bad boy Prince" vibe. Yeah, Cardan was a total ass, but there was far, far more to the story than that. It takes a lot for me to pick up a fantasy so the fact that this one ended up being such a good experience was a great feeling. :)

      Delete
  11. I do love her writing so a slow start wouldn't put me off. I am intrigued by the audio and I may have to see if I can get it at my library that way! Brilly review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I think I could have stuck with the physical copy and it would have been fine, but I really enjoyed the audio version. Made for a great reading/listening experience.

      Delete
  12. What the heck is wrong with me!? Everyone, literally EVERYONE, loves this book, and I am over here like... meh. I had such a hard time getting into it, like you said, but then I just never really cared all the way through? Switching format is a great idea, I will have to save that little tip for next time! Great review, I am so happy you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, are we in a parallel universe? Me, the one that doesn't do fantasy, enjoyed this one, and you didn't? Sorry, I think the axis just tilted. ;)
      Sorry this one wasn't a winner for you. It sucks when you're not invested and just don't care about what happens. Blah. But they can't all be winners for everyone, I guess. Heaven knows there have been a ton that everyone else loved and I thought they were a yawn-fest. LOL

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the tip about the audio. Ha, when you want to claw a characters eyes out I get excited. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get positively giddy over characters I love to hate. LOL

      Delete
  14. I JUST finished this one, and I enjoyed it a little less than you did, but I totally agree about the crazy and intriguing Court politics! AND CARDAN, YES. He's so complex and I need to know more about him!!

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, too, Aimee! And I'm definitely excited to learn more about Cardan. I'm a little worried for him after the way this one ended.

      Delete
  15. I do plan on reading this one! I have it requested at the library so hopefully soon.

    It's good to know in advance that it starts a little slow so I know to hang in there.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get your copy soon, Karen, and that you'll enjoy it!
      I'll look forward to seeing your thoughts on it!

      Delete
  16. I really found myself enjoying this one and the world that Black build, definitely cannot wait to see where this goes next, glad it's a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that three books were planned... that's great news! :)

      Delete
  17. Yay, I was really hoping you'd like it! I think this was such a great start to the series and I can't wait to see what more she has up her sleeve. I feel like things between Jude and Cardan will blossom in book 2, and hopefully someone can smack some sense into Taryn because sis done lost her damn mind! lol. I agree so much, all of the characters were definitely morally-grey now imagine how they'll be in the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall I was not a fan of Taryn's from the start. She was too willing to just take what was dished out and basically be a second class citizen. Lame. And her choices there toward the end... ugh! I think it's going to be a rough road for Jude and Cardan considering what she did at the end. He's not going to make this easy. LOL

      Delete
  18. Lots of hype for this book but probably worth every word! I was on the fence due to conflicting reviews on social media, but I really don't listen to those too often or I'd never pick up a popular book, lol! Thanks for an informative review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always wary of super-hyped books but I was so intrigued by the synopsis of this one. Happy to say it totally paid off! Love when that happens. :)

      Delete
  19. Thanks for this review---I think I'm going to try to get the audiobook for this one from your library. Like you, I have a higher tolerance for slow starts that way.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audio made all the difference for me, Nicole. Hope you find the same.

      Delete
  20. I read The Cruel Prince last week - after waiting for it for literal years, because, yes, I love Holly Black enough to add her books as soon as they appear on Goodreads - and loved it A LOT. I'll say that while I rated it 5 stars, I think The Darkest Part of the Forest was more enjoyable and evenly paced. Anyhow, I loved all the complex relationships between the characters, and the world was gorgeous, but also wicked. Basically, this is a new favorite, and I'm dreading the wait for the sequel. Great review!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wait for book two is going to be torture. Ugh!
      And it sounds like I need to read The Darkest Part of the Forest!

      Delete
  21. I really need to read this book! I wonder if my local library has it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it if you decide to pick it up, Nicola!

      Delete
  22. I've hearing about this book almost non stop lately!! Everyone is buzzing with it. And it does sound incredible. I love grey characters and compelling family and sibling relationships, and those quotes you shared give me the chills. I think I need this book!
    Brilliant review, Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like this one, Amy! I'm usually wary of hyped books but this one really lived up to the hype, in my opinion. I loved that there were no obvious good guys/bad guys - it made for such an interesting story!

      Delete