Top Ten Tuesday: The Short & Sweet Edition (Novellas and Short Stories)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic: 
Favorite Novellas and/or Short Stories
I very rarely read short stories, but if there's a novella included in a series I'm loving... I'm all over it. Whether it's a prequel giving background information, a story about a side character, or an epic epilogue, I'm there. Here are some of my favorites.


Destroy Me - Shatter Me #1.5
Tahereh Mafi
The one that had me questioning everything I thought about Warner.

Crossing the Line - Pushing the Limits #1.1
Katie McGarry
The one where Katie McGarry delivered a line I loved so much it's stuck with me for 5 years. "Play this right, Lincoln. She deserves a man, not a boy."

Shadows - Lux #0.5
Jennifer L. Armentrout
The one where I met Daemon Black's twin brother. 

Kiro's Emily - Rosemary Beach #9.5
Abbi Glines
The one that made me understand Kiro.

My True Love Gave to Me
The one that gave me two short stories that I loved: Midnights by Rainbow Rowell and It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins.

Finding Cinderella - Hopeless #2.5
Colleen Hoover
The one where Colleen Hoover made me laugh, then sob, them smile.

The Favorite - The Selection #3.5
Kiera Cass
The one about the character I liked more than the main character.

The Wedding - Lux #5.5
Jennifer L. Armentrout
The one I'd been waiting for. With all the feels.

The Proposal - Wait For You #2.5
Jennifer L. Armentrout
The one that made my heart melt.

In Her Wake - Ten Tiny Breaths #0.5
K.A. Tucker
The one that gave me what I wanted (but should really be #1.5).

How do you feel about novellas?
Love 'em or leave 'em?

12 comments

  1. I don't always read the novellas in series I love, but there are some I really want to get to like the couple in the Helen Grace series.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the opportunity to get more of the characters I love. :)

      Delete
  2. Crossing the Line was a novella, which I wish was a full length novel. They were actually one of my favorite couples in the Pushing the Limits series, and I wanted more time with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Sam! I would have loved to have more of Lila and Lincoln. <3

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Novellas! I've had really great luck with horror novellas recently :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own My True Love Gave to Me---this reminds me that I need to read it!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one sat on my shelf for 2 years before I read it. So glad I finally did!

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way. I don't read a lot of short stories either, but if I love a series, then I love having extra stuff to read! The only one I've read here is Destroy Me, and I loved that one too! Although I read it after I finished the series (well the trilogy), so I already liked Warner, but it was still such an interesting look into his mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Short stories don't really do it for me because ultimately I find them unsatisfying. There's just not enough there. But a novella that features characters I already know and love... I'm there! And getting into Warner's mind was pretty awesome. :)

      Delete
  6. Novellas are a hit or kiss for me because I always want MORE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get the wanting more thing... but when a novella features characters I already know and love I just can't say no. :)

      Delete