Review: Just One Night by Carly Phillips

JUST ONE NIGHT

by Carly Phillips
Series: The Kingston Family #1
Publication date: April 20, 2021
Format: Kindle
Source: Newsletter Freebie
3.75 Stars

Linc Kingston doesn’t accept anything less than perfection. Not in his billion-dollar business or in his personal life. He has it all. Except one thing. His personal assistant and best friend in his bed, moaning his name. No matter how much Linc wants her, she’s completely off-limits.

Jordan Greene grew up the daughter of the housekeeper at the Kingston estate, where she met and bonded with Linc at a young age, despite their economic differences. But no matter how close they are now or how much their attraction simmers beneath the surface, they’re still from two different worlds. Besides, Jordan isn’t about to risk losing her best friend for one sensual night.

Jordan might be the only woman who can handle Linc and his domineering, bossy attitude, but beneath that gruff exterior is a vulnerable man who, despite his wealth, has had a less-than-charmed life. And when Linc’s father dies, she’s there for him—unwavering in her friendship.

Until one night of passion and a positive pregnancy test changes everything.


GOODREADS | AMAZON*


*At the time of this post, Just One Night is currently available for free on most platforms:
Kindle, Nook, Apple, Kobo, and Google Play.


Carly Phillips is an author who had been on my radar for a long time. Since her Kingston Family series was offered on audio on Hoopla, I decided to give it a try.

Linc and Jordan had been friends since childhood. His family had mega-money and social status, while Jordan’s mother worked as the family’s domestic help. Even so, their bond was strong and years later, when Linc was at the helm of his late father’s company, Jordan was by his side as his personal assistant. When Linc learned some shocking news, he wanted Jordan by his side, as both his assistant and his trusted best friend.  A fleeting encounter led to some life changing news, and both Linc and Jordan had to navigate new waters.

I’m a big fan of the friends to lovers trope so already this had that going for it. Linc and Jordan both had some more-than-friendship feelings happening but neither one would say anything or make a move for fear of compromising their friendship. After an out of town hookup, Jordan insisted they put it behind them and move on, even though Linc was (privately) willing to see where things went.

Even though I wasn’t super invested, I did enjoy this one. Linc and Jordan were so obviously good together, so it was easy to pull for them. I did wish that Jordan had shared the pregnancy news with Linc long before she did. Based on her history, I could kind of understand it, but I still wished she had talked to him sooner. (Side note: I feel like a lot of books I’ve read lately have employed the surprise pregnancy trope. It’s not something that bothers me, but I know some readers like to steer clear. So, heads up that it’s definitely used here.) There was some typical rich mean girl drama, a side plot concerning Linc’s business that I enjoyed, and a likable cast of characters. Overall, a solid read and I’m sure at some point I’ll continue the series. ⭐⭐⭐.75


Have you read anything by Carly Phillips?


17 comments

  1. It is funny that I don't really read a ton of books in this genre. My husband loves this kind of story and we've watched so many shows that are similar. I'd probably actually get a kick out of reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - Okay, I love that your husband is into this kind of romance story. :) Does he read romance... or just watch it on TV?

      Delete
  2. I just realized you had THREE reviews up. Slow your roll Tanya! lol They all seem to be 3-ish stars reads for you.

    Out of the three, this one seems like the one I'm least likely to read just because I of the guy. Although you said he's nice...so maybe.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Right? Who even am I? lol Linc was definitely a good guy. He really tried to do the right things and had others' best interests at heart.

      Delete
  3. I have not read anything by Carly Phillips, but I know she's pretty good. Nice review, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one but I've all the other books in the series. And I've enjoyed them all,I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia - That's good to hear! Funny that you've read all but the first book. lol

      Delete
  5. OOps that was my comment above

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read a few Phillips books (The Chandler Brothers), but I am not familiar with this series. You seem to be finding that surprise baby trope, and I don't feel like I have read too many of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Yes! The accidental pregnancy seems to be in everything I've pick up lately. Ha!

      Delete
  7. I have read a bunch of Phillips' older books, but not any of her newer ones. This one sounds pretty good. I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna. I enjoyed the writing style. I wasn't blown away by the story but it was definitely entertaining.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this author before and I'm not sure how big a fan I am of the surprise pregnancy trope, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - The surprise pregnancy didn't bother me and it was pretty entertaining. I'll probably continue the series.

      Delete
  9. I've read one thing by this author, The Boyfriend Experience, and it was middle of the road for me. I've not read anything else by her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie: Meh, those middle of the road books can be okay, or be really disappointing. Sorry to hear she didn't work for you.

      Delete