Short Take Reviews: The Backup Plan | The Belle of Belgrave Square

 


THE BACKUP PLAN

Jill Shalvis
Format: eARC
Source: Netgalley

Alice, Knox, and Lauren have known one another since childhood. Years later they are drawn together as co-inheritors of an inn, left to them by Eleanor, a woman who meant something different to each of them. For Alice and Knox, Eleanor was a stabilizing force in their lives and, at times, a mother figure. For Lauren, Eleanor was the great aunt she never got to know, since her father had cut Eleanor from their lives. Now thrown together, the trio must navigate painful pasts, old wounds, and complicated relationships.

Shalvis provided a heartwarming tale that straddled the line between women’s fiction and romance. While Alice’s abrasive nature kept me from ever warming to her, there was still plenty to enjoy. Knox dealing with his past, Lauren spreading her wings, and the evolving relationships kept me entertained. With themes of forgiveness, letting go of the past, and second chances, The Backup Plan was a solid blend of friendship and romance. 3.5 Stars



THE BELLE OF BELGRAVE SQUARE

Mimi Matthews
Format: Trade Paperback
Source: Library

Julia Wychwood was a London heiress who prefers her books and her horse over the tedious social season. She prefers the solitude at home, but even there she is treated unkindly by her demanding parents and their never-ending ailments. Captain Jasper Blunt was hailed as a military hero, but rumors swirled about his conduct during the war, and the three illegitimate children in his care. Needing a wife with a sizable dowry, he set his sights on Julia. A marriage-of-convenience seemed to be the answer for them both, but Jasper’s past, Julia’s curiosity, and both their hearts made for a rocky road.

The Belle of Belgrave Square was quite the surprise! I was immediately drawn into this charming story and felt an instant kinship with Julia. I love that Matthews put a focus on Julia’s social anxiety (long before it had a name) and my heart ached for her as she tried to endure each social engagement. Jasper was an enigma, and I was captivated as details of his past were revealed. The sweetness and gentleness beneath his gruff exterior made my heart melt. The oh-so-slow evolution as strangers became friends and then friendship turned to love, had me swooning page after page. Julia and Jasper’s story was an utter delight. 4.5 Stars



Have you read either of these books?

27 comments

  1. I haven't read either of these, but I've been meaning to read Jill Shalvis for forever. I've seen The Belle of Belgrave Square around a lot and I'm glad to hear it was a hit for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - The Belle of Belgrave Square was such a surprise hit for me!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read either of these. I have had my eye on the Shalvis one, but I like her true romance versus her women's fiction/romance books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I meant to add I was happy you enjoyed it for the most part. I'm glad I had your review to read!

      Delete
    2. Deanna - I've only read two by Shalvis and while I don't see her becoming a favorite, the two I read were entertaining.

      Delete
    3. Her Animal Magnetism series is really fun, but it's older.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read either of these actually. I used to read lots of Jill Shalvis, but stopped reading her because her writing just doesn't engage me that much and I just am more picky about what I read especially for contemporary romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee - I can understand that. There are definitely some authors that I have moved on from when I felt like I no longer gelled with their writing.

      Delete
  4. I picked up a Shalvis for the first time again in years and really missed her writing but she does write very prickley heroines. Sometimes they are endearing anyway and sometimes not lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - That's interesting that you mention that about Shalvis's heroines. I have an almost impossible time gelling with prickly heroines so I'll have to remember that about her. (and for the record, I did not find Alice in The Backup Plan endearing. LOL)

      Delete
  5. I read both of these. I loved The Belle of Belgrave Square too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - The Belle of Belgrave Square was a big surprise hit for me!

      Delete
  6. I loved The Belle of Belgrave Square! I was eager to get to the bottom of Jasper's history and I just loved Julia too! I have The Backup Plan as well. I'll be starting it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I was actually so surprised at how much I loved The Belle of Belgrave Square. I felt such a kinship with Julia and the way she and Jasper came together so slowly... delightful!

      Delete
  7. OK I am adding the Belle of Belgrave Square to my TBR! It seems just le kind of book I love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen such great reviews for Mimi Matthews' series. I've only read one of her books so far, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and have been wanting to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read both of these! When I'll get to them I don't know, but I'm determined to read them both sometime this year. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sad the Shalvis wasn't better for you. I think I understood Alice and why she was the way she was. Part of my pleasure was seeing her open a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha - I understood why Alice was the way she was, I just didn't like it. lol I have a hard time with prickly characters anyway so it wasn't surprising that I didn't gel with Alice. Overall, though, I enjoyed the story.

      Delete
  11. Lovely reviews Tanya. I've been seeing The Backup Plan around, but I've been hesitant to get it myself. I haven't heard about THE BELLE OF BELGRAVE SQUARE, but it sounds amazing. I'm definitely putting it on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have such a mixed experience with Jill Shalvis books but they always tempt me with the characters and the women's fiction/romance tightrope walk she does kind of works for her. i think she's the only author I can think of where I like it. I'm immediately adding The Belle of Belgrave Square to my TBR it sounds like an excellent read. I'm adding to my TBR although it looks like it'll be a difficult book to get here in the Uk which is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky - This was only my second by Shalvis so I guess I'm still on the fence. I hope you manage to get The Belle of Belgrave Square over there - it's such a wonderful story!

      Delete
  13. I have read the Shalvis book but I will wait until the HarperCollins stike is over to talk about it. The Belle of Bellgrave Square sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole - The Belle of Belgrave Square was such a pleasant surprise.

      Delete
  14. I just finished the Shalvis book earlier today. I liked Alice a lot more than you did, but I understand where you're coming from on finding her hard to connect with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - I have a hard time with prickly characters anyway, so it was likely just a "me" thing.

      Delete