Short Take Reviews: Hockey Romance Edition

 

I love a good sports romance and hockey is my favorite. Thankfully, there is no short supply of hockey romances to enjoy. Here are my quick thoughts on the last few that I've read.


MY LUCKY #13
Piper Rayne
Format: Audio
Trope(s): Slow burn, friends to lovers

When it comes to his hockey career, Aiden has always been lucky. Until suddenly he's not. When a beautiful woman throws a drink in his face at a party, and his game improves, he's convinced she's his good luck charm. Now he needs Saige to give a repeat performance before every game so he can keep scoring goals. The more time they spend together, the more it's obvious that there's something real there. But Saige has been burned before and has sworn off professional athletes. Silly premise? Maybe, but hockey players are notorious for their game day rituals and superstitions. And it made for some truly fun circumstances as Saige showed up in whatever city Aiden was in to perform their drink-in-the-face ritual. Aiden was such a good guy - a real sweetheart - and when he realized his relationship with Saige was the real deal he was willing to do whatever it took to win her over. This one gave me all the good feels and I loved getting to know the other players on the team.               4.25 STARS


THE TROUBLE WITH #9
Piper Rayne
Format: Audio
Trope(s): Forbidden/workplace romance

Maksim has no desire to open up about his past and bare his soul to anyone, so when the team owner requires all players to meet with a therapist he plans to feed her some fake stories and move on. But the therapist is the same woman he kissed on New Years Eve and he hasn't stopped thinking about her. Dating a patient goes against Paisley's moral and professional code but she can't resist Maksim's relentless pursuit. I loved Maksim and his fierce protectiveness of his teammates, even though it came from a place of pain and guilt. Things came to a head when Maksim's family arrived from Russia and he was forced to deal with his past. The camaraderie among the players was a real highlight and Maksim's unique dates with Paisley put a smile on my face. Speaking of Paisley, I appreciated how she pushed Maksim to talk to another therapist, knowing that he needed to sort out his issues. She called him out when needed and was no pushover. I'm excited for more of this series. 4 STARS


DIRTY SECRET
Mira Lyn Kelly
Format: Audio
Trope(s): Forbidden/secret romance

Allie had always lived in the shadow of her superstar brother Greg, a professional hockey player. Too many friends and boyfriends had used her just to get close to her brother. So when she had a one night fling with hockey player Vaughn, she kept her identity secret. A year later, when Vaughn is traded to Greg's team, he sees Allie and the sparks are still there. Since Vaughn and Greg despise one another, they agree to keep their relationship secret. It was obvious from early on that these two were developing feelings for one another but it was fun to watch them fight it every step of the way. Vaughn, in particular, had never had a relationship and struggled with his feelings for Allie and what it meant for his career and his future. The downside for me was Allie's brother Greg, who took the protective older brother role to an extreme. He consistently interfered in her private life (setting her up on dates without her knowledge, lying to Vaughn about her dating someone else) and felt completely justified in doing so. I disliked him so much and unfortunately he played a pretty big role. I would have felt better had he shown any remorse but even by the end he still seemed overbearing and smug. His involvement was way too heavy-handed for my liking, but beyond that this one was a good time. 3.5 STARS



HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?

20 comments

  1. The Piper Rayne one sounds good. I don't think I've read that author before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I started with Piper Rayne's Greene Family series and I was hooked. They write somewhat lighter than my usual style. Still emotional but little angst. I eat their books up. :)

      Delete
  2. I've read several hockey romances this year that have been a lot of fun. So now I'm hooked! I can't wait to check out some of Piper Rayne's books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - There sure are a lot of hockey romances out there! Sawyer Bennett is an author who has some great hockey series.

      Delete
  3. I love that Aiden's game improves when Saige throws a drink in his face! That's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - It was so funny how Aiden was so convinced that was why his game had turned around. :)

      Delete
  4. My Lucky #13 sounds so fun - I love the idea that he's so superstitious that she has to come to every city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - My Lucky #13 was such a surprise. I really enjoyed those characters!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these yet, but I did just read Icebreaker. It was the first hockey book I've picked up in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - I've been seeing such good reviews for Icebreaker. It looks so cute!

      Delete
  6. You are right in that there are plenty of hockey romances out there in the world haha and I love it. I haven't read Piper Rayne yet though. I definitely need to try her out soon. Which book would you recommend I pick up first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee - Piper Rayne is who I turn to when I want lighter romance without the angst. :) They're great at delivering fun but emotional stories without the drama. If you want hockey romance, I say start with the Hockey Hotties series. Countdown to a Kiss is the prequel novella. Otherwise, their Greene Family series (set in a small town in Alaska) is my favorite. Prequel novella is My Twist of Fortune. Hope you enjoy them if you decide to give them a try! :)

      Delete
  7. I listened to Dirty Secret a while back, and I guess I let the stuff with the brother slide because I liked the couple so much. I am a sucker for those hidden-heart-of-gold guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Oh boy, I wish I could have let it slide but her brother made me so ragey. lol He overstepped boundaries big time and I kind of wanted to throat punch him. Haha!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you liked this series for the most part. :D The first one sounds really good. I love the friends-to-lovers trope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni - Same here. Friends to lovers is one of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  9. I do enjoy hockey romances as well, but I've never read any thing from these authors. The drink in the face is a funny ritual. Not one I'd like done to me before every game, lol, but I know players can be very superstitious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I liked how the author(s) took a hockey's player's superstition and wove the story around it. :)

      Delete
  10. I do love a good hockey romance but haven't read any of these authors yet! Hopefully, I can get to them someday.

    ReplyDelete