Review: Say I'm Yours by Corinne Michaels

by Corinne Michaels
Publication date: 5/25/2017
Format: Audiobook
Source: Audible
3.75 Stars

I spent 20 years waiting for Trent Hennington to open his eyes and see me. But it was all for nothing. He chose to keep himself guarded and let me walk away, proving that my time and efforts were wasted.

I'm done being invisible.

It's time to move on.

A single dance sets my new reality into motion, and I welcome it. After all, Cooper Townsend is perfect. He's kind, sexy, and attentive - everything a girl could want.

I thought I got it right this time.

That my heart could mend, and I would be happy.

Apparently, some things really are just too hard to walk away from.


Trent is the eldest of the Hennington brothers and sheriff of his small hometown of Bell Buckle. Grace has been the one for him since he was a teenager, and they’ve been together for years, but he has pulled away from her time and time again. They have broken up before over the years, so when Grace tells him it’s over, he knows she just needs a break before they’ll be back together once again.

Grace has been in love with Trent Hennington for as long as she can remember. But after almost twenty years, she’s done. Trent’s unwillingness to fully commit has left her feeling as though she’s not enough. She wants marriage and, hopefully, if she hasn’t waited too late, children – and Trent has proven over and over that he is never going to be the man to give that to her. It breaks her heart, but she ends things with Trent, and this time she knows it’s for good.

In walks Cooper, brother of Grace’s best friend and someone she’s known her whole life. After much persuasion, Cooper gets her to agree to one date. Just one date so he can show her how she should be treated. Because it seems as though Cooper has had feelings for Grace all these years and has been waiting for his chance.

I’m not sure how successful Corinne Michaels was with this third and final book in the Hennington Brothers series, because while it was obvious that Trent was the end-game, and he and Grace would find their forever, I was solidly Team Cooper. To put it bluntly, Trent acted like a real jerk – to Grace, to Cooper, to his brothers. He had almost twenty years to sort out his issues and fully commit to Grace. The fact that he did not come to his senses until he heard that Grace was going out with Cooper did not sit well with me. He behaved atrociously, as if he still had some claim on her, and that only highlighted Cooper’s kindness, patience, and heart of gold. Throughout it all, I admired Grace and how she handled herself. I empathized with her as she tried to move on, despite still loving Trent. I admired her honesty with Cooper, always conscious of his feelings and not wanting to lead him on. She was careful with his heart and I loved her for that.

Corinne did manage to inject a twist that I didn’t see coming which added another layer of emotion to the story. While my heart hurt for Trent and what he found himself dealing with, I can’t say that it was enough to really pull me from Team Cooper.

Over the span of three books, I cared so much for the people in Bell Buckle. The Hennington family, the Townsend family, the other residents in town that served as secondary characters… they all made for a close-knit community that had me ready to pack my bags and head for the small (fictional) town in Tennessee. Even though I wasn’t as connected to this couple as I was to those in the previous two books, there was still so much to enjoy. Fans of small town, second chance romance are sure to enjoy this one.

 

Tropes: small town, high school sweethearts, second chance, family saga, HEA
Content warning (highlight to view): death of a parent


Have you read Say I'm Yours?


7 comments

  1. Talk about a lady in waiting! Twenty years is a long time to wait. If I didn't know this was genre romance, I would be worried for her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Team Cooper! It would be hard to beat him. Trent was a real prick at the beginning of this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd be Team Cooper on this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read this series but all three books sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooper sounds like the obvious choice! I am all for the guy that treats her well instead of stringing her along for 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read a book in this series yet. It sounds like this book was not one of her best though. I'd still want to read it though :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd be team Cooper too! Twenty years of not committing? That guy needs the boot!

    ReplyDelete