Short Take Reviews: Smokeshow | You Can't Kiss the Nanny, Brady Banks

 

by Piper Rayne
Series: Kingsmen Football Stars #2
Tropes: cinnamon roll hero, single dad, boss/employee, forced proximity

Violet and Brady had a steamy one-night stand and walked away the next morning without ever exchanging names (Violet’s decision, not Brady’s). Fast forward six months later and Brady is shocked to find that his ex has hired Violet as the nanny for their son. Awkward! After agreeing to set any residual feelings aside and keep things professional, there’s no denying that the chemistry is still explosive. They agree to a friends with benefits arrangement (well, more like a boss-employee with benefits arrangement), with Violet insisting that it ends when her assignment is over. Too bad that Brady had no intention of letting her go.

Brady and Violet were both such genuine, likable characters and it was easy to pull for them and want them to find their way together. Brady’s son Theo was an absolute sweetheart and added so many heartwarming moments to the story (man, did that kid love his dad… and Legos). I appreciated how Brady and Hannah (Theo’s mom) co-parented and that there was genuine care and respect between them, no animosity at all. Violet had some issues from past relationships to overcome and, very late in the story, it seemed Brady had his own issues with abandonment to work through. The bond that Theo and Violet formed was so sweet, and seeing how Brady reacted to their bond warmed my heart. This was a great addition to the Kingsmen Football series (and can be read as a standalone), and the set-up for the third and final book has me ready for more. 4 stars
by Abbi Glines
Series: Smoke #1
Tropes: age gap, alpha male, mafia/organized crime, cliffhanger

So, I’m feeling super ranty, but just stick with me, okay? A couple years ago I finally swore off Abbi Glines because when it came to her books, I spent more time rolling my eyes than actually reading. But when I read the synopsis of Smokeshow, I was intrigued and, against my better judgment, decided to give it a go. The female main character was classic Abbi Glines: drop dead gorgeous (but of course is completely oblivious to this fact), is adored/lusted after by every male in a 50 mile radius, and is dumb as a box of rocks. Of the three guys who were immune to her (non-existent) charms, two were decent enough guys and one was a total a-hole. One guess who the love interest is.

It was obvious as soon as Maddy arrived at her new home and started meeting people that there was more going on than was being openly discussed. But Maddy was a doormat, easily manipulated, and basically went along with whatever she was told. She hung out a lot at her new friend Trevor’s house, even though public poolside sex seemed to be the norm and made her uncomfortable. When the a-hole simply could not stay away from her any longer (insert eye roll) and told her to pack a bag because she was now going to live with him… yeah, she went without a word. Then the plot took a one-way street into crazy town and I decided, sure, why not, I’m going with the crazy. And then it ended with a cliffhanger. Sounds like I didn’t like this one, right? Seems like I would run far, far away from a sequel, right? So ask me if I’m going to read the next book? You better believe I am. Sure Maddy is dumb, sure Blaise (did I mention the love interest is named Blaise?) is an a-hole, and yeah, the plot is so crazy that even a soap opera looks bland in comparison… but I got sucked in and I’m not walking away. Bring on the next book. I’m ready to return to this hot mess and eat it up with a spoon. 3 stars (I've changed my rating from 2.5 to 3.5 and everything in between. I'm settling on a 3.)



Have you read either of these books?


18 comments

  1. I was rolling with laughter at how you described the heroine of Abbi's book! I recall loving her books many years ago but then I stopped reading them. No idea why. Maybe they began to look the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to entertain, Sophie! :) Abbi's characters always have me rolling my eyes, but in this case I still couldn't stop reading!

      Delete
  2. Violet and Brady sound great, and I appreciate that he and his ex have a good relationship and she's not portrayed poorly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - It was great to see exes co=parent without there being a "bad guy" in the mix.

      Delete
  3. The first one sounds really well done! Smokeshow has me laughing...your review, I mean. Sometimes crazy just works and you want to see what happens next!

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren - That was it exactly. The crazy was working enough to make me have to know what happens next.

      Delete
  4. OMG! Your review for Smokeshow is EVERYTHING! You nailed it. So cliche in a bad way, but also so messy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - Happy to entertain. LOL Cliche in a bad way is a good way to put it! :)

      Delete
  5. At least there was something about Smokeshow that makes you want to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I just knew I shouldn't read Smokeshow and yet I caved. And now here I am knowing full well I'm going to read the next book. lol

      Delete
  6. There's sometimes a comfort to be had in the familiarity of repeated tropes, but I totally understand the eye rolling. James Patterson's books are hit or miss for me like that. There's some I really enjoy and others that are just too outlandish/predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - Abbi Glines always induces much eye rolling from me. And I'm reminded why I finally quit her books. But at the same time, they're like crack. lol

      Delete
  7. Isn't it funny when a hot mess of a story keeps us reading? Your review made me laugh! Hope the next one is better though. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - That's Abbi Glines for me. Her books are definitely a hot mess (for me) and I almost hate-read them, but I can't stop myself, apparently. lol

      Delete
  8. Haven't read anything by those authors. Hopefully Smoke #2 will be less of a hot mess for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy - I expect the second book will be just as off the rails but I'll eat it up. lol

      Delete
  9. Your review of Smokeshow totally has me cracking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - I couldn't help it. I love writing (and reading) a good ranty review. :)

      Delete