Top Ten Tuesday: How Very Random | 10 Random Books From My Shelves

 

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.


This Week's Top Ten Tuesday Topic:
10 Random Books From My Shelves
 
Gotta love a topic that requires little to no thought. No wracking my brain on how best to interpret the prompt. This was easy-peasy and pretty fun. I have 1,710 books on my Goodreads "Read" shelf which equates to 35 pages (50 books per page). So I used a random number generator, found the corresponding page (since the actually titles cannot be numbered on the Read shelf), and chose a book at random from that page. And that means these are some truly random picks, many I haven't thought about in years. Here's my random sampling...

Note: The gif has absolutely nothing to do with today's prompt. Or books in general. But it was an easy opportunity to use a Clueless gif and that's enough for me. 😉



10 Random Books From My Shelves
 

1. The Truth About Melody Browne by Lisa Jewell - read in 2012
From way back when, before Jewell veered into domestic dramas/thrillers. And one of my super rare 5-star reads.

2. We Own Tonight by Corinne Michaels - read in 2020
The first book in Corinne's Second Time Around series, and my favorite from the series.

3. Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino - read in 2017
Loved this one. I'm sad that Carlino hasn't released anything since 2019. 

4. Once We Were Starlight by Mia Sheridan - read in 2022
Mia Sheridan always, always delivers a beautiful, emotional story. 

5. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - read in 2013
The second book I read from Rowell, and still one of my favorites from her.

6. Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty - read in 2006
I have major nostalgia for this book and the whole series.

7. Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry - read in 2016
Loved this book (and series). McGarry is about the only author that would have me pick up a YA novel these days. Unfortunately, she hasn't released a YA contemporary since 2020.

8. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - read in 1999
I remember very little about this one. And it's probably not something I would pick up now.

9. Bookends by Jane Green - read in 2003
In 2003 British chick lit was huge (just a few years post-Bridget Jones) and it was my genre of choice. This was one of my early favorites by Jane Green.

10. Glass Houses by Rachel Caine - read in 2011
The first book in the Morganville Vampire series. I loved this series and always wondered why it didn't get more attention. 

Have you read any of these books?


36 comments

  1. I haven’t thought about Memoirs of a Geisha in years, but it was quite the interesting read.

    And yay for sharing Clueless gifs! I loved that film.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-the-first-10-books-i-randomly-grabbed-from-my-shelf/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia - It's funny how many people commented about loving Clueless. :) Definitely a 90's classic!

      Delete
  2. I read Memoirs of a Geisha years ago, too. Also not sure I would pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - Looking back I'm actually surprised that I read it. LOL It's not really a "me" book.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! I loved what you did to get your books. That really is random! I read 2, 5, 7, and 10. I've always wondered why that Caine series didn't get more hype as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna! Yeah, somehow that Rachel Caine series got lost in the glut of other YA series. Such a shame because it was an awesome series and story line!

      Delete
  4. Wow, a great mix! I really enjoyed Attachments and as I was cataloguing all my owned books (going back to 2012) over the last two weeks, I discovered that I had quite a few of Carlino's books on there, lol. I can't actually remember which ones I've read but I'm hoping to re-read of a few of them, including the one on this list, at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dini - I rarely make time for re-reading even though I would like to. There are a couple by Carlino that I would love to experience again!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes GIF's just have to be shared whether they're relevant or not... :)

    I only ever read one Rainbow Rowell, which seems weird. And the vampire series... I remember those!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - While I never read Rowell's YA fantasy books (Simon Snow), I've enjoyed almost all her others.

      Delete
  6. Love this topic. I haven't read any of these. We Own Tonight has been on my TBR for a long time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen - We Own Tonight was so good. And so unexpectedly emotional. I loved it!

      Delete
  7. I love random number generators! I used one too but I love how you did yours. What an interesting mix of books. The only ones I've read are Attachments and Memoirs of a Geisha but I want to read the Lisa Jewell book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! I'm a big fan of Lisa Jewell and The Truth About Melody Browne is probably my favorite from her.

      Delete
  8. I remember when British chic lit was huge...I read several books by Jane Green back then. And the Lisa Jewell book on your list sounds like one I would really like. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - Jane Green was definitely one of the "it" authors during the Brit chick lit trend. She and Marian Keyes were the ones I gravitated to.

      Delete
  9. Thes eare indeed very random! I should have used a random generator too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - I figured that was the easiest way to keep it truly random. Otherwise I would have just scrolled through and picked all my favorites. :)

      Delete
  10. Attachments may be my favorite of RR's books, and I wish McGarry had done a few more books in that series. It surprised me how much I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Sam. Attachments and Eleanor & Park are still my faves from RR. I miss McGarry's contemporary YA books so much. I would have loved to seen the Thunder Road series continue.

      Delete
  11. I've read MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, but it was a long time ago. I remember it being an interesting read. ATTACHMENTS is a good one, too.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - I remember enjoying Attachments so much. I'm tempted to reread it.

      Delete
  12. Nowhere But Here is on my TBR. It has been for a while because I wanted to read a book with motorcycles. I read Hades Hangmen instead so I don't know if I would like a YA now hahah But I'll probably get to it someday. I'm pretty sure I already bought it years ago.

    My TTT: https://www.mollysbooknook.com/top-ten-tuesday-my-husband-picks-my-tbr-with-bonus-picks-from-my-toddler/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly - Nowhere But Here was so good, but obviously worlds away from the Hades Hangmen. LOL I hope you enjoy it if you ever decide to read it! :)

      Delete
  13. I just love the idea of this. I really loved your random picks here. I have read some of the authors on this list, but not these books. I know how much you love Corinne Michaels. So I hope you love that one. I have only read a couple of Mia Sheridan but you are correct in how she writes such emotionally captivating reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee - The one by Corinne Michaels is one of my favorites. I still think about it several years later. And Mia Sheridan... she always shreds my heart, but in a good way. :)

      Delete
  14. Love Clueless! One of my all-time favorite movies! I enjoyed the Morgansville Vamp series too. I think I still have the last book to read, though. Also enjoyed Attachments. The audio was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Same! I love Clueless! I raved so much about the Morganville Vampire series at the time that my husband ended up reading the series, too. That year he got me vampire bunny slippers like Myrnin wore. lol

      Delete
  15. It's been a long time since I read Attachments, but I remember I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy - Same here. It's been years since I read Attachments but I still remember how taken with it I was. :)

      Delete
  16. I also love when we get a prompt that takes little to no thinking. 😂 Attachments was one of my faves, as well. Someday I'd like to do a reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dedra - Same here. Attachments made me so happy. I'd love to revisit that one.

      Delete
  17. I LOVE Attachments! And I have read Nowhere But Here but it's been so long that I don't remember much, except that I enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey - I just loved Attachments. It was such a feel good story.

      Delete
  18. I've only read Lisa Jewell's thrillers so I did a double take when I saw her name on that pretty cover. I need to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - Yep, back in the day (very early 2000's) Lisa Jewell wrote chick lit and romances. :) When she started writing the domestic dramas and thrillers I was shocked!

      Delete