Review: Say You Want Me by Corinne Michaels

by Corinne Michaels
Publication date: 10/29/2016
Format: Audiobook
Source: Audible
4.5 Stars

There’s no way I’ll fall for Wyatt Hennington.

He can keep his Southern drawl, irresistible smile, and those pick-up lines all to himself. I made the mistake of sleeping with him not once, but twice. I’m not stupid enough to give him round three, especially after he left me in the middle of the night so I could see myself out. I vow to return to Philadelphia and forget him.

It proves easier said than done.

When the doctor informs me I’m the winner of door prize number two, I put my life on hold and head back to Bell Buckle. Three months and if we can’t make this work, I’m gone.

The problem is–when the cards are stacked against us, and I can’t bring myself to leave him, I’ll finally know if he truly loves me or if all my fears were real.


As much as I enjoyed Say You’ll Stay (the first book in the Hennington Brothers series), Corinne Michaels amped up every emotion in this one and all the feelings hit me hard. Angie’s sister-in-law/best friend, Presley, left Philadelphia with her two sons and returned to her hometown in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. Angie misses them terribly and visits when she can, but she also loves her city life, her bakery business, and her stylish downtown condo. On Angie’s first trip to Bell Buckle she meets Wyatt Hennington, a too-charming-for-his-own-good rancher, and they spend the night together. On her next trip, it happens again. Back home in Philadelphia, Angie gets news that shakes her unencumbered single life to its foundation. When she returns to Bell Buckle, she agrees to stay for three months, at Wyatt’s urging. Three months to figure out if there can be something real and lasting between them.

I seriously loved Angie and Wyatt. When they were all-in and learning to trust each other, and even when they weren’t. When it felt like Angie had one foot out of the door, and when Wyatt shut down just when Angie needed him most – even then I loved those two and pulled so hard for them to find their way. It often felt like they were never at the same place in their relationship at the same time, and that made for some growing pains as they found their way. But I was there for their journey – the good, the bittersweet, and the downright heartbreaking. I loved Wyatt’s persistence, his tenderness, and his willingness to do absolutely anything to make Angie happy. He was a man who, once he’d made up his mind, he was all in and he didn’t feel the need to hide his feelings.

With Corinne Michaels there is almost always heartbreak. I’ve been reading her books long enough to know to expect it. Yes, she’s going to crush my heart, but I also know she’ll always make it better. But in Say You’ll Stay, Corinne went where even I did not think she would go. She really twisted the knife in this one and listening to these characters become so broken had me full-on crying, wiping away tears, and hitting pause on the audiobook because my heart simply couldn’t take it.

Wyatt and Angie had plenty to work through and it took them both to fight for their happy ending. I was completely sold on these two characters and so deeply invested in their outcome. The Hennington family played a big role in their story and I loved the relationships that formed and strengthened over the course of the story. In particular, the love and acceptance Angie found with Wyatt’s mother, when the relationship with her own mother was so toxic, put such a smile on my face. The support she received from Presley was priceless, and the involvement of some of the women in town added some much needed lightness and humor.

After reading more than two dozen books by Michaels, I can easily say that this is one of my favorites. Angie and Wyatt’s story captured my heart and I felt like I experienced every high and low right along with them. Their journey had me feeling every emotion. If you love a romance with a hard-fought happily ever after, I highly recommend Say You Want Me... just have your tissues ready.

Tropes: small town, one night stand, friends to lovers, family saga
Content warning (highlight to view): loss of pregnancy


Have you read Say You Want Me?


8 comments

  1. Oh man, I had an inkling what was going on based on your review, but then I read the content warning and it confirmed it. So sad! This one would definitely make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear that this one was so well done for you. Love seeing that there. I do appreciate an author that can work so hard in capturing your heart. I have liked some of what I have read from her so I am happy that this ended up being one of your favorites from her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a feeling you would like this one even more than the first. Reading your review brings this story back to my mind. It was so good!

    I do have to say I don't like these covers. The originals were so much better and made it easier to tell each book apart. These new ones are too similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a hard-fought happily ever after! This book sounds amazing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely have me wanting to visit Bell Buckle and meet the Hennington Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me want to get back to he books Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds amazing! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Corinne Michaels definitely knows how to write some emotional novels. I'm currently reading an ARC of her newest book. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete