Short Take Reviews: Love on the Brain | You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows

 

by Piper Rayne
Series: Kingsmen Football Stars #1
Tropes: second chance, enemies to lovers, professional athlete

Piper Rayne is my go-to for when I want romance without the drama and angst. You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows kicks off the Kingsmen Football Stars series (there was also a prequel novella, False Start). Lee broke Shayna's heart in college but that won't stop her from accepting her dream job as a sports therapist for a professional team, even if Lee is the star quarterback. It's been eight years and she's no longer a shy, naïve college girl. Shayna has every intention of keeping her distance but Lee has other plans.

One of my favorite aspects of a Piper Rayne book is that their characters are always so likable. Down to earth, relatable - and their actions and reactions feel completely realistic and believable. Shayna was a great example of that. Having had her heart broken (and still a little bruised) years ago by Lee, it was easy to understand why she tried to give him a wide berth and protect herself from more heartache. But Lee was determined to get back in Shayna's good graces and make amends. Even though it sometimes felt like Lee wanted forgiveness because he felt badly, and not because he genuinely understood the pain he'd caused Shayna, I still couldn't help but pull for him. I appreciated that he was willing to meet Shayna where she was, realizing that he was in no position to push for more. Shayna was smart, professional and had a good head on her shoulders. And I loved that when her job was in jeopardy, she called Lee out on his privilege and gave him a realty check. Go Shayna! Lee's teammates were a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to getting their stories. 4 stars
by Ali Hazelwood
Tropes: enemies to lovers, pining hero, STEMinist heroine

I have such mixed feelings about this one that I'm going to break out what I liked and what I didn't.

What I Liked:
* Levi! - What sweetheart. Sure he came off as grumpy and aloof (or I suppose he was meant to come off as grumpy and aloof), but it was obvious this was a seriously pining hero. And a total cinnamon roll hero. 
* Bee the quirky heroine - Bee's family background and former relationship drama made her instantly sympathetic. 
* Rocio the even quirkier sidekick - I got such a laugh from basically every scene with Rocio. And the unlikely relationship that developed? Priceless.
* The banter - I’m a sucker for good banter and Hazelwood obviously has a gift for it. The back and forth banter between Levi and Bee kept a smile on my face. 

But Not So Much
* Miscommunication - Least. Favorite. Trope. Ever.
* A heroine so obtuse it defied belief - For a brainy neuroscientist, Bee was unbelievably oblivious to Levi's true nature, even when his every action was in direct contradiction to her assumptions. And the longer the cluelessness continued, the less it made sense.
* Lack of subtlety - I don't claim to be a particularly observant reader who picks up on every nuance, but there wasn't a single surprise here. Every plot point felt obvious from the start (Levi's true feelings, the identity of Bee's Twitter friend, the "villain" at work).
* The 11th hour drama - So over the top and out of place. It was like, did we just step into a soap opera and I'm supposed to just go with this nonsense? That was just... no. 3.5 stars 

Note: I switched back and forth between the paperback and the audio version of Love on the Brain. Thanks again to Rachel (Waves of Fiction) for the physical copy she sent me!



Have you read either of these books?


17 comments

  1. I haven't read Ali Hazelwood, but I think the cons you mentioned in your review would bug me, also! I hate when there's too much drama right at the end, and supposedly smart characters that are so oblivious to things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - Yeah, Bee's cluelessness might have been a little more believable had it not lasted as long. As it was, I was 75% in and she was still investing that Levi hated her. *beats my head against the wall*

      Delete
  2. The Piper Rayne books sounds good! I'll have to put it on my list. I get what you're saying about Love on the Brain. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you in all the ways. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I'm such a sucker for Piper Rayne books. They are the perfect "in between books for me. I slip them in between all the emotional/angsty/dark books. lol

      Delete
  3. THAT part was over the top. I felt like we were supposed to know the Twitter friend though. I don't think it was intended to be a big reveal. Honestly, some people are that clueless especially really smart people, so I didn't struggle with that. I hated THAT part. It didn't fit the overall vibe of the book for me. I enjoyed everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Yeah, that part really through me for a loop. It really felt completely out of left field and like you said, it didn't fit in with the rest of the book.

      Delete
  4. I've read Love on the Brain, and I liked it, but it's not nearly as good as Love Hypothetically! Bee frustrated me at times, but I did like Levi. And You Had Your Chance is one I'd like to read. It sounds fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - I hear the same from a lot of people, that Love Hypothetically was better. I don't see myself reading that one (I think maybe Hazelwood just isn't for me). The Piper Rayne book was a lot of fun, though. :)

      Delete
  5. Love on the Brain wasn't my favorite of hers, but I did enjoy it! I think I especially liked that it was set in Texas and I'd been to many of the places mentioned. 😃 My favorite Hazelwood is Love, Theoretically. It even outshined The Love Hypothesis for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dedra - It can be tough when a book is set in an area you know well. It makes it easy to pick apart any inconsistencies. Sounds like it worked in this case, though. Fun that you've been to some of the places mentioned!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read either, but like the sound of the book by Rayne. The way you described the characters has me thinking I'd enjoy the story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy - Piper Rayne is so dependable for romances without a lot of unnecessary drama and angst. I tend to binge their series. :)

      Delete
  7. Yes, Bee did frustrate me too and I wasn't a fan of the last minute drama. Entertaining overall though. Love Hypothesis was much better. I'm looking forward to Love, Theoretically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I swear I wanted to shake Bee. I kept thinking, for a brilliant neuroscientist you sure are oblivious. LOL I hope you'll love Love, Theoretically!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed Love on the Brain more than you did but definitely see where you're coming from on that 11th hour drama. That threw me for a loop too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - Yeah, the ending of Love on the Brain totally had me scratching my head. It felt so out of place.

      Delete
  9. I agree with every single point you made regarding Love on The Brain but is it odd to say I didn't care? It's like, logically, I can acknowledge everything that is nonsensical, repetitive or frustrating but Hazelwood's books trigger such a serotonin surge for me I just love them... They give me all the giddy happy feelings.

    ReplyDelete