Short Take Reviews: Blaze of Memory, Bonds of Justice, Defenseless, Whispers of You

 

by Nalini Singh
Series: Psy-Changeling #7 

I skimmed a few reviews before starting this one and noticed that it was decidedly not a favorite in the series. That made me a bit cautious when starting but I was happily surprised to find that I totally enjoyed Dev and Katya's story. I did miss time with the Changeling packs, which was severely lacking (and probably why it's not a fan favorite), but the few scenes that included pack members were real highlights. I felt that Dev's abilities (something to do with metal?) were not explained or explored and that left me a little confused. Despite that, I was really drawn to the story and I liked the balance between the growing tension between the Psy and the Changelings, and the relationship between Katya and Dev. The ending was surprisingly emotional and might have even got me a little choked up. 4.25 stars

by Nalini Singh
Series: Psy-Changeling #8 

This is the second entry in a row with minimal time with the Changeling packs and I really missed their presence. Instead, the main characters are Max, a human cop, and Sophia, a Justice-Psy. The turmoil with the Psy world continues to escalate and it's making for some strange bedfellows - alliances are forming that I never would have imagined. I find myself questioning my opinions of certain high-ranking Psy and I'm so anxious to see on what side they will fall as the series continues. Max and Sophia's relationship developed pretty quickly and I wasn't quite as emotionally invested as I have been with some previous couples. Considering that Sophia is an anchor in the PsyNet, I'm concerned what that means for her future. (Yes, I realize this means nothing to those who don't read the series, but I'm curious to get feedback from those who are further along in the series than I am.) 4 stars

by Corinne Michaels
Series: Salvation #5

Mark is a former Navy SEAL who now works at a high-level security firm. Charlie is a CIA agent which means that most of her life is a closed door. They both have lives filled with danger and uncertainty which means they've avoided serious entanglements. I've totally enjoyed Mark's character in each of the previous books, but honestly, he and Charlie together drove me crazy. Theirs was very much a push-pull relationship, with emphasis on the push. They had the same argument over and over, talked in circles, without resolving anything. Charlie, in particular, would say one thing but mean another. On the plus side, beyond the frustrating relationship, I was super invested in the overall plot, which had been ongoing across several books, and the suspense and tension were *chef's kiss.* There was one particular scene toward the end with Mark, who was in a life and death situation, that was so intense and emotional that I still find myself thinking about it (months later).  3.5 stars

by Catherine Cowles
Series: Lost & Found #1

Catherine Cowles has become a real favorite over the last year or so and Whispers of You kicked off her new series with a perfect mix of romance and suspense. The prologue was so gripping that I was fully invested from the start and it only got better. Wren and Holt were childhood sweethearts but after a tragic event Holt pulled away and eventually left their small town. He returned to make amends with his family and, of course, reconnects with Wren. In the meantime, tragedy strikes again and danger seems to be on their doorstep. I loved how this story played out and Cowles kept me guessing up until almost the end (I had figured out part of who was behind the events happening, but the other half took me by surprise). Cowles excels at likable heroines and swoony heroes which makes it so easy to pull for the HEA. I can't wait for this series to continue. 4.5 stars


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?



18 comments

  1. I love a good reunion romance, and I want to know more about Wren and Holt. I have been meaning to sample Cowles' books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I know you're not the biggest fan of romantic suspense, but I still think you would enjoy Cowles. The Tattered & Torn series was wonderful and this new series is off to a great start.

      Delete
  2. What great reviews you have here! I just love that you LOVED the Catherine Cowles. So fun right? It really kept me on the edge of my seat. I also enjoyed those Singh' installments. I don't remember much about them as I read those like a decade ago but I really enjoyed them if I recall correctly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! Catherine Cowles has me so hooked. I've loved everything I've read from her. I love finding an author that I connect with so well.

      Delete
  3. I never read that Michaels book. I'm not sure why. I stopped the series before that. It sounds a little frustrating. I loved these reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - Thanks! I binged most of the Corinne Michaels series, the last several books, anyway. I actually really liked the plot of Defenseless, it was Charlie's character that really frustrated me.

      Delete
  4. I just finished reading Whispers of You last night and I loved it so much! Wren and Holt were awesome. This is the first romance by Catherine Cowles that I've read, but it won't be my last. Thanks for recommending her books so highly! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - I'm so glad you loved Whispers of You! I always love her characters so much. :)

      Delete
  5. You make me want to get back to the Psy Changeling series Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - The Psy-Changeling series had been on my radar for years! I'm so glad I finally decided to start it. It's been so good so far and I hear it only gets better.

      Delete
  6. I need to read more Catherine Cowles. I really liked her writing. As for Max and Sophia, they show up in the spinoff series-Trinity book 5, The Last Guard. A lot more is explained about anchors and exactly what's on the line for them and how they're dealing with it. I don't think I read Max and Sophia's story before reading The Last Guard. I think I went back after and read it when I committed to reading all books in the Psy series. I had already read several in the Trinity series before going back and finishing the original series. I can't wait for you to get further along, because the coming books are so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Cowles is one of those authors that I just clicked with from the first book. It's such a good feeling to discover a new-to -you author like that.

      My little OCD brain is melting at the thought that you read the follow-on series before reading the original series. Nope, nope, nope. LOL I am way to Type A to do that. My mom will be reading a series, decide that a couple don't interest her, and skip ahead a couple books. And I cringe every time. Gah! I think I would short-circuit if I did that. Haha!

      Delete
    2. Lol! Yes, I don't usually do that either but I'd been offered the first in the spinoff series by the publisher and they seemed like mostly stand alones. Now that I look back on it I think it's better to read them in order. I definitely appreciated the new books more after reading the prior books.

      Delete
  7. The Lost & Found series is on my TBR. I'm hoping to soon make some more progress in her Tattered & Torn series. She does such a great job with her mix of romance and suspense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - The Lost & Found series is off to a great start and I'm super excited for the second book to release next month!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of these yet, but Catherine Cowles is on my list of authors to try. I keep seeing such great reviews for her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - Cowles became such an instant favorite when I started reading her last year. I can't wait to start diving into her backlist.

      Delete
  9. "I can't thank the author enough for this blog. It's refreshing to read something that is both entertaining and educational. This blog definitely deserves a standing ovation!"
    Tidewe Discount Code.

    ReplyDelete