Short Take Reviews: The New Guy, Cannon, What Was Meant to Be, Right Man Right Time

 

by Sarina Bowen
Series: Hockey Guys #1
Tropes: single dad, professional athlete, groveling

Sarina Bowen + hockey romance is always going to equal a good time. Gavin is a widowed single father who has recently moved to Brooklyn for a new job as an athletic trainer with an NHL team. Hudson is perpetually the "new guy", traded from one team to another. Sparks fly when they meet at a bar, but when Hudson realizes Gavin is the new trainer for his team he quickly pulls back for fear of being outed. These guys were dealing with different issues and at different stages in life - Gavin is focused on raising his daughter, Hudson is struggling for more career stability and is hiding his sexuality - but I loved how they accepted one another where they were at.  Gavin's daughter Jordyn was a total joy, and the narration by Teddy Hamilton (an absolute favorite) and J.F. Harding was perfection. 4.25 stars

by Sawyer Bennett
Series: Pittsburgh Titans #6 
Tropes: widower, sports romance

Cannon left hockey for a time to care for his terminally ill wife. Now a widower for almost a decade, he is also the youngest head coach in the NHL. A friendly flirtation with a barista turns into more, even as he cautions her about his demanding career and his desire to keep things casual. Ava lost more than her boyfriend when her ex dumped her. She lost her home, her job, and a hefty dose of self-confidence. A no-strings affair with Cannon is just the boost she needs. The more time they spent together the more Cannon's boundaries began to blur. This series continues to be such a hit for me. I loved the development of Ava's character and the growth she showed as the story progressed. I was frustrated by Cannon's mixed signals and cheered for Ava when she called him on it and drew a hard line. (Go Ava!) The inclusion of the other players and previous couples was a highlight. 4 stars 

by Q.B. Tyler
Series: NA
Tropes: forbidden/taboo, age gap, second chance

I'll say upfront that this one won't be for everyone. There is a 20+ year age gap between Jacob and Whitney and their affair started when she was eighteen. Add to that, her parents have been his best friends for almost 30 years, and he is her godfather. If any of that is a hard pass for you, consider yourself warned. Jacob and Whitney acted on their mutual feelings when she was eighteen and carried on a secret affair for two years. When Jacob realized that going public would fracture Whitney's relationship with her parents, and he would likely lose his lifelong friends, he chose to end their affair, hoping that Whitney would move on. Three years later he receives her engagement announcement and returns home, unable to stay away any longer. What ensues is a steamy, angsty, and emotional story with touch-her-and-die vibes from the hero. Whitney came across a bit immature, and she and Jacob were back together in a flash. But I enjoyed the story of a couple so devoted that they were willing to defy conventions to be together and deal with the inevitable consequences.  4 stars

by Meghan Quinn
Series: Vancouver Agitators #3
Tropes: rom-com, professional athlete, age gap

*Disclaimer: I'm not really a rom-com kind of girl, so take my opinions of this one with a grain of salt. 😉

Unpopular opinion time: I did not love Right Man, Right Time. In fact, there were some aspects (I'm looking at you Ollie) that I didn't even like. After a meet-cute in a bar, Silas and Ollie agree to a fake-dating arrangement that will benefit them both. Ollie, to save face in front of a work rival; Silas to put some distance between him and his ex. Let it be said: I adored Silas in all his grumpy glory. I loved the little pieces of vulnerability he doled out bit by bit. I loved his teammates, their banter, and their group texts. The camaraderie was everything. What I didn't like? Ollie. I won't get on my soapbox and rant so I'll just say that virtually nothing about her worked for me. She was immature, she was bratty, she was insufferable. This is one too many of Quinn's books where I've found the female main character truly unlikeable (over-the-top silly and just ridiculous). I think I'm breaking up with Meghan Quinn. 3.25 stars (all for Silas, Posey, Pacey, Eli, and Halsey)


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?


6 comments

  1. Yay! Glad you loved The New Guy. They were so sweet together. I need to get back to that Titans series. Cannon is one of the guys I'm most curious about. I read a book similar to that QB Tyler book and I think I'll pass on it. At least for now. I'm really sad MQ's book wasn't for you. BUT I get it if you aren't really a rom-com fan. Ollie was a lot, like some of her characters can be. Knowing this now, I would actually recommend a couple different books of hers to you. Have you read the Blue Line Duet? I think that one would be more up your alley. It's not a rom com and is actually pretty emotional and has angst to it. I can see you liking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - Yeah, I know you have big love for MQ but I think I've finally come to the conclusion she's just not for me. I started with her small town Getting Lucky series and enjoyed most of them, not realizing that those weren't really her norm. That she leans heavily into the rom-com side, for the most part. Oh well, not every author is for every reader. I actually think I own the Blue Line Duet, so I might still give those a try at some point. Also her Perfect duet. I think are more in my lane and what I would enjoy.

      Delete
    2. Yes, she mainly does rom com. I think you would like her duets. They are probably even less rom com than Getting Lucky. Read Blue Line first. I also think Dear Life would work for you. And maybe her Montlake releases The Highland Fling and The Reunion.

      Delete
  2. Unrelated but oh did the Red Wings ever get handled by the Lightning last night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - Funnily enough, I *just* finished drafting my Sunday Post and I mentioned you in it (in relation to the Red Wings). That was a tough loss for them, but I was thrilled to see the Lightning end the regular season on such a high note.

      Delete
  3. I am behind you on the Titians books, but I am glad the series continues to be solid for you. My heart is already aching a bit for both Cannon and Ava.

    ReplyDelete