Short Take Reviews: The Novella Edition

 



Coming Home by Kennedy Ryan
Tropes: second chance, HBCU

Kennedy Ryan is in a league of her own. While this novella didn't necessarily pack the emotional punch of her full-length novels, Ryan still managed to create characters that felt fully-developed and realistic. Touré and Niomi were friends in college but the timing was never right for something more. Years later, reunited for homecoming week, their chemistry is simmering and both are wondering if their time has finally come. With a delicious one-that-got-away vibe, and stellar narration, I listened to this one with a permanent smile on my face.           4 stars



False Start by Piper Rayne
Series: Kingsmen Football #0.5
Tropes: college/new adult, 

When studious Shayna was asked to tutor quarterback Lee, neither of them expected to click. Shayna had long nursed a crush on the college football star, while Lee was drawn to shy, bookish Shayna. It was sweet to watch as their friendship turned into a relationship. Unfortunately, a crass bet made with his friends/teammates backfired spectacularly and ended things almost before they started. It's worth noting that there is no HEA here and this novella is very much a set up for the first full-length novel in the series (You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows). 3.75 stars 



Out of Sight by Giana Darling
Series: The Fallen Men #0.5
Tropes: motorcycle club, insta-love

Tayline was a free spirit who found herself in a perilous situation. When a biker stepped in to help her, violence erupted and both their lives took a turn into dangerous territory. I picked up this prequel before starting Lessons in Corruption, the first full-length novel in The Fallen Men series. I didn't know what to expect, it being my first by Giana Darling, but what I got was an over-the-top story right out of crazy town. lol I get that it's fiction, but the events were so crazy that I just rolled my eyes and went with it. <highlight to view spoiler> I mean, right after a violent shoot-out, with bodies, blood, and broken glass everywhere, the two main characters were so turned on they stopped to have sex right there amidst all the carnage. As one does. 😉 Still, it was a good time and had me curious enough to pick up the first book in the series.  3.75 stars




Evermore by Corinne Michaels
Series: Salvation #5.5
Tropes: second chance romance, damaged hero

When Gretchen is left at the altar, she makes some drastic changes in her life, including moving to Virginia Beach and accepting a job at Cole Security. She finds herself working side by side with childhood friend/crush, Ben. The former nerdy kid who was bullied is now a broody former Navy SEAL. They both have to overcome past hurts and insecurities to find happiness together. I love a childhood-friends-to-lovers story so this should have been a hit for me. Maybe this would have worked better as a full-length novel, but I didn't feel all that invested in Gretchen and Ben. Overall this novella didn't add much to the series, but it was great to get more time with the whole Cole Security gang. 3.5 stars 


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS?


18 comments

  1. I read Evermore, but I don't even remember it so I can tell I would agree that it didn't add much to the series. I laughed at your hidden spoiler for Darling's book. That's totally normal and what happens amid carnage. lol. I am going to have to keep that Kennedy audible book in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - Yeah, if you can't remember anything about it, it's safe to say it wasn't really necessary to the series. :)

      Delete
  2. I do need to try Kennedy Ryan at some point. It takes a special talent to write a really good story in a short amount of pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I so agree. Many novellas can feel too rushed, or incomplete. I think they're hard to do well.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these, but I'd like to the book by Kennedy Ryan. I've enjoyed some of the Audible short stories, and Coming Home seems like one I'll like too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy - Audible has some great original content. And the one by Kennedy Ryan was so good.

      Delete
  4. Novella's can be such fun. I have really enjoyed the 1001 Dark Nights that I have read. I am definitely intrigued the Corinne Michaels. I do love Giana Darling and somehow I didn't know that novella existed, needs to read now haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee - I've only read a few of the 1001 Dark Nights novellas, but since Corrine Michaels has had a few of those I had to read them. :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these, but I should try the Audible originals. The Amazon short stories have been stellar so far, so I imagine I would enjoy these, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - I've had great luck with a lot of the Audible Originals.

      Delete
  6. Novellas are really tricky. I have read some that accomplished so much in so few pages, but mostly, they leave me wanting. I don't read many, though I would pick up one like False Start if I was going to read the full-length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I think making a novella feel like a complete story is a tricky thing. But when a novella is kicking off a series, I feel utterly compelled to start with it before the first full-length book. I can't help myself. :)

      Delete
  7. I often find that novella aren't enough. I want more LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - I usually want more, too. But I'm also super particular about reading series in order, so if there's a prequel novella (or even novellas in between books), I *have* to read them. lol

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of these yet, but I am curious about the Kennedy Ryan one since I just recently read my first book from her and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - I knew I'd enjoy the one by Kennedy Ryan. While it wasn't nearly as intense as most of her books, I was still invested in those characters. The audio production was great.

      Delete
  9. As one does! Hahaha! You had me laughing out loud with that one. Sounds like classic Giana Darling, though. I didn't read the novella, but I did enjoy the first couple books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - I did read Lessons in Corruption after reading the prequel novella and thought it was okay/good. I was expecting something darker/grittier. At some point I'll continue the series, I'm sure.

      Delete