The Sunday Post #192


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Book Reviewer.
It's a chance to share news - a post to recap the past week on your blog, 
showcase books and things we have received, and share news about what is
coming up on your blog in the week ahead. You can find the info here:

  • Last weekend's trip to Beaufort, South Carolina was a good one. We stayed at a beautiful inn in the historic district (they set out chocolates from a local chocolatier in the parlor each evening - who wouldn't want to stay there!), walked all around the downtown and waterfront areas, took a tour that shared a lot of Civil War-era history, had some good meals. We all (my mom, The Husband, and me) enjoyed ourselves.
  
Photos from left: The Beaufort Inn where we stayed, the ruins of Old Sheldon Church (burned by the British during the Revolutionary War, rebuilt, then burned by the Federal Army by Sherman's order during the Civil War), me and Mom in a shop in the historic district
  • We were browsing the movies on Amazon Prime Friday night and decided to watch Instant Family. Totally enjoyed it! So, so funny but also surprisingly emotional. We were both impressed by Mark Wahlberg. That was probably the first new(ish) movie I've seen in a year. At least. Ha!
  • This is the final week of the January Of Books giveaway hop so don't forget to enter if you haven't already.  
  • This week's 80's music fix is Lessons In Love by Level 42. Their big hit (in the U.S., anyway) was Something About You, but it was this lesser known song that I loved. It's one of those songs that just speaks to me. I love the lyrics, Mark King's voice, the bass line (I'm a sucker for a good bass line 😊)... this is one of my all-time favorites. 


Tuesday, January 21
Top Ten Tuesday: Recent TBR Additions

Wednesday, January 22
WWW Wednesday #73

Friday, January 24
Review: Echoes Between Us


WHAT I COMPLETED IN THE LAST WEEK:

    


What a great week in reading! (And it feels so good to say that after a months-long reading slump!) I finished Echoes Between Us and it was another wonderful release from Katie McGarry. When it comes to YA contemporary, nobody does it better. I finished listening to The Family Upstairs yesterday and it was brilliant. Absolutely loved it. I'm so glad I went the audio route for this one because it was so well done. I can't stop thinking about it. I stayed up late last night to finish Heartland and, in typical Sarina Bowen fashion, it gave me all the feels. The swoony bits, the steamy bits, the humor... Dylan and Chastity's story had it all.

WHAT I'M CURRENTLY READING: 
    


I started the audio book of The Queen of Nothing this morning and I'll probably switch back and forth between the audio and the hardcover versions. I'm only two chapters in but I'm already excited to be back in this world.


KINDLE BOOKS:
      
    







How was your week? Any new books? Any news to share? 
I'd love to hear about it!

43 comments

  1. I would love to go visit South Carolina. I have a friend that lives there, so maybe someday! I'm going to be waiting to hear how Five Minute Life is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually driving through South Carolina so it was fun to actually stop and stay. :)

      Delete
  2. OK that trailer was so funny!!!! I want to watch it now. Probably on a family night :-) That's good that you had so much fun with your mom Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at much I enjoyed Instant Family. And it would definitely be fun for a family night movie. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear your reading slump is over!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you had a good trip. The picture of the inn looks lovely. And yay for the end of the reading slump, I can only hope I can say the same soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That inn does look lovely. Looks like you had good weather too. Glad a good time was had by all. I will have my pre-order of Heartland soon! I am really looking forward to catching up with this series, as it's a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved being back with the Shipley family. There were several trips home from college so I was happy getting peeks of the whole family. :)

      Delete
  6. The pictures from your trip are beautiful and it sounds like it was amazing... and I would never turn down local chocolates!
    I don't remember this song, but the video looks so familiar. It might have been something I only heard once or twice, because I remember most of the other 80s songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? A charming inn... plus choclates? Yes, please! :)

      Delete
  7. There are so many beautiful places in SC! Sounds like you had a great time. I finished Heartland yesterday and loved it!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took Dylan long enough to come around and realize he was in love. I wanted to smack him in the back of his head. LOL But I loved it.

      Delete
  8. Beaufort looks beautiful! I'll bet there's amazing history there. The lodging sounds nice too- the chocolates are a nice touch :)

    Nice pick, I actually wasn't familiar with that Level 42 song so I was glad to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a song you didn't know... I feel like my work here is done. LOL

      Delete
  9. Yay for a great reading week!! I'm glad you had a nice trip - it sounds like a lovely place to visit. And I will never say no to some chocolate. :-) I still need to watch Instant Family, but I'm glad to hear you liked it.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Who doesn't want delicious chocolate made available every night? :)

      Delete
  10. Oooo I started listening to The Family Upstairs but had to return it to the library. I need to check it back out. Great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, gotta get The Family Upstairs back from the library! LOL I loooved it! I just can't stop thinking about it.

      Delete
  11. That inn reminds me of a dollhouse I had when I was a kid. The colors look so pretty and calming. Oohh you got A Five-Minute Life! Another one of Emma Scott's emotional works 🤧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty? And the interior was just as charming. I'm so glad we stayed there.

      Hopefully I'll be ready to read A Five Minute Life soon. Gotta get my tissues ready!

      Delete
  12. I Imagine the historic district had a lot to offer, I’m glad you enjoyed your trip.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you had fun in the historic district! The photos look beautiful! I watched Instant Family a few weeks ago too and it was really enjoyable.
    I'm thrilled you liked the new Katie McGarry! I will most definitely be reading it too!
    Have a lovely week, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! I've had two other people mention they just recently watched Instant Family which seems quite the coincidence. I thought it was from last year but apparently it was a 2018 release! I guess great minds think alike. :)

      Delete
  14. Wow those photos are beautiful! I want chocolate every night!
    I have yet to see that movie but I want to, glad it was good.
    And glad to hear it was a good reading week, I love when I have those!
    I have yet to read that Holly Black series and even though I'm not big on fantasy I feel like I'm missing out because I see it everywhere.

    Have a great rest of your week!
    Ash @ JennReneeRead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am *not* a fantasy reader (at all) but when The Cruel Prince came out in 2018 the synopsis really caught my attention. I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did! I loved both The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King and I think they're accessible even for non-fantasy readers like us. :)

      Delete
  15. Curious to hear what you think of QoN.

    I didn't realize that movie was on Prime. I had seen a few previews for it.

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just past the halfway point of Queen of Nothing and loving it!

      Delete
  16. Instant family was an amazing movie.I really enjoyed it. I really want to try that Holly Black series this year.Everyone raves about it!! Great week girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hesitant about the Holly Black series (because I am not a fantasy reader - at all) but I was so intrigued by the synopsis. So glad I took a chance because I loved the first two books! And I'm halfway through the third and I'm totally hooked. Give it a try! :)

      Delete
  17. I am so glad that you, your husband, and your mother had a nice time on your trip. I do not remember that song at all. I was really into hair bands in the 80s so I must have missed it. I finished Heartland on Saturday and thought it was very well done. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like our musical taste in the 80's differed. You were into the hair bands, I was into new wave. :) I just loved Heartland and now I need to get my review written since I'm supposed to post it on Friday.

      Delete
  18. I'm glad to hear you and your family had a great time in Beaufort. And a big yay for the end of your reading slump! Man, that Level 42 song takes me back. I saw them in concert back in the mid 80s when they were Madonna's opening act on the Who's That Girl tour, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool that you saw Level 42 (and Madonna) live! I didn't see too many concerts in the 80's. The only ones that really stick out are Duran Duran and George Michael (solo). :)

      Delete
  19. South Carolina looks beautiful! I'd love to visit someday. Glad to hear you had a nice time! :)

    I love Mark Wahlberg and didn't know he was in a new movie. I'm definitely going to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Wahlberg in much since I rarely see movies but I thought he was quite good in this. I thought the movie was from last year but apparently it released in 2018. I recommend it!

      Delete
  20. Gorgeous photos of SC. I hope to visit again but never again in April. I have done twice and I'm really allergic to something / pollen and got sick both times. I own some Lisa Jewell books and it's just another example of I need to read some books I own!

    Have a lovely week and enjoy your new reads!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Oh no, allergies are the worst. And yeah, March and April in the South is bad for allergies. Everything is blooming and there is pollen *everywhere*. Hopefully you can visit SC again... when it's NOT covered in pollen!

      Delete
  21. It looks like you really have your reading mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the pictures of your trip! It looks (and sounds) lovely!
    I needed a break before diving into The Queen of Nothing but it's wonderful! Your updates put me in the mood for it and I'm so glad! I'm enjoying it a lot.

    Hold Me Today is one I borrowed on KU a little while ago but I haven't read it yet. It sounds awesome. Fingers crossed we like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you've finished TQoN by now, Nicci, but off the top of my head I can't remember. Hope you loved it, too!

      Delete