Short Take Reviews: Small Town Romance Edition

 


Fall With Me
by Brooke Montgomery
Series: Sugarland Creek #3
Published: 5/29/2024
4.25 stars

✔ Grumpy x Sunshine (she's the grump)
✔ Frenemies to Lovers
✔ Six Year Age Gap
✔ She Can't Stand Him (but he's Obsessed)
✔ Family Saga Series

I've been loving the Sugarland Creek series since its prequel (Come With Me) and each book has focused on one of the close-knit Hollis siblings. In this instance, it was Landen and did he have a time with Ellie. Her outright hostility did nothing to diminish his feelings for her. When a barrel racing accident left her with some short term memory loss, and she showed interest in Landen, he was torn but ultimately saw his chance - and hoped that if/when her memory returned, her new feelings for him would override whatever animosity she once had. If you love a guy who falls first, you'll love Landen and his unwavering feelings (and patience!) for Ellie. It's worth mentioning that, as with the previous books in the series, the prologue is truly heartbreaking as it sets up a significant event in Landen's past. Montgomery provides trigger warnings and also notes that the prologue can be skipped. 


The One I Left Behind
by Piper Rayne
Series: Plain Daisy Ranch #1
Published: 5/14/2024
4 stars

✔ Second Chance Romance
✔ Single Mom
✔ Retired Football Player
✔ Return to Hometown
✔ Former High School Sweethearts

Ben and Gillian had plans for their future. Ben was headed to college on a football scholarship and once he was drafted by the NFL they would marry and start their life together. Instead, their relationship foundered under the strain of separation and the break-up had a lasting impact on them both. Gillian is now a single mother and Ben has returned to his small Nebraska hometown to help on the family ranch. It was obvious there was unfinished business between these two characters and Gillian was understandably hesitant to revisit the past and go down that road again. Even so, these two seemed to rekindle their relationship awfully fast for two people who had been apart for fourteen years. That could have been a stumbling block, but I found the characters to be so likable that I was willing to go with the flow and just enjoy the ride. A highlight for me was the side story with Gillian's son and his relationship with Ben. There was some animosity there (on the boy's side) and I appreciated the way Ben didn't push and eventually earned his respect. The great cast of secondary characters and a set-up for the second book has me more than ready to continue the series.


Do you enjoy small town romance?

16 comments

  1. I love small town romances! Especially when they include other favorite tropes, like the guy who falls first or that second chance romance. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - I've become such a fan of small town romance over the last couple years. And when you add in second chance romance... I'm there! :)

      Delete
  2. I love a small town romance! Fall With Me sounds so good - I love when the guy falls first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - Landen in Fall With Me was so gone for Ellie. He hung in for ages waiting for her to come around. I loved that. :)

      Delete
  3. Fall With Me sounds great with its grumpy x sunshine dynamic and frenemies-to-lovers plot. Landen’s patience with Ellie, despite her memory loss, is touching.

    The One I Left Behind sounds like a sweet second chance romance. The small-town setting, single mom, and retired football player combo is compelling.

    I grew up in a small town, so I always enjoy a book with that setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - It's funny how I used to avoid small town setting and only read books with big city/urban settings. I've done a 180 over the last few years, maybe because having lived in a large city all my life, I like to read about a different experience.

      Delete
  4. I don't read many, but I'm intrigued by that first series! I'll have to check it out. Thank you for sharing. Also, thank you for sharing what the tropes are! That's so convenient :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly - I always love knowing what tropes are included. Seeing a favorite trope gets my interest immediately. :)

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to try Montgomery and even bought the first one of this series on audio. I will need to make time as I do enjoy small town romances! I do enjoy the amnesia trope so Fall With Me sounds like it would be a win for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Since the writing duo of Kennedy Fox split up and are writing on their own, I've found that it's Brooke Montgomery's books that I am drawn to. This Sugarland Creek series of hers has really captured my interest and I've enjoyed all three books.

      Delete
  6. I do like small town romances. The best ones are where they fill the town with great characters. These both sound good to me. I have not read either author, so I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I really love the cast of characters in Montgomery's Sugarland Creek series. From the family that owns the ranch, to the ranch hands, all the siblings and their partners... it's been great.

      Delete
  7. Adding to my list. Thank you.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not the biggest fan of small town romances (or maybe I've been reading the wrong ones?), but I'm curious about The One I Left Behind bc I love second chance romances and single parent stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee - Piper Rayne is an author I've been reading for several years and The One I Left Behind was a great start to a new series!

      Delete