Top 5 Wednesday: Debut Novels


Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey at GingerReadsLainey.
Click HERE for a complete list of participants.



 #5 - Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

Here's a great example of not judging a book by its cover. I expected as fairly light and fluffy YA contemporary but what I got instead was a very heartfelt portrayal of a young man returning from Afghanistan and dealing with all that he experienced there. There's grief and guilt and PTSD. But there's also humor and romance and hope. Beautiful story, beautiful writing, and an amazing debut novel.


#4 - Leo by Mia Sheridan

When I was deciding on which books to include in my Top 5 I was actually surprised to learn this was Mia Sheridan's debut novel. Never would have guessed it. I just read this one a few months ago and was hooked from the very first page. Mia has a writing style that is just so easy but so emotional. I've since read Leo's Chance and will definitely be reading more from her.



#3 - On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves

I read On the Island right after it came out in 2012. I can't even remember how I came across it. It might have been the cover that initially pulled me in, even before the synopsis. I devoured it quickly and then proceeded to sings its praises to anyone who would listen. :) I met Tracey at a book signing in 2013 and I loved getting to hear about her journey in writing and self-publishing her debut novel.


#2 - Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Katie McGarry is right up there with my favorite YA authors. Pushing the Limits was Katie's debut novel, and the first in the Pushing the Limits companion series. And it remains my favorite. So often when reading through an author's catalog you can see a progression in their writing. With Katie, she started out so strong that the first books are every bit as well-crafted as the most recent. In PTL, Katie created two characters (Noah and Echo) that made my heart hurt and I just wanted to fix everything for them. And it doesn't hurt that Noah is one super-dreamy book-boyfriend. <3



#1 - Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Without a doubt, the #1 spot goes to Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. I knew her first as a YA author and I read the wonderful Eleanor & Park. And then I discovered she wrote adult contemporary as well. Rowell's debut novel was just... divine. It was clever and charming and laugh-out-loud funny. She has such an incredible gift with dialogue. It's smart and witty and always rings true. I remember finishing Attachments and feeling as though Rainbow Rowell had given me a perfect little gift. Just talking about it makes me want to read it again. If you haven't yet discovered the joy that is Rainbow Rowell, do yourself a favor - go read Attachments. It's okay, you can thank me later. :)


No comments