Review: Baden by Sawyer Bennett

BADEN

by Sawyer Bennett
Series: Pittsburgh Titans #1
Publication date: 12/23/2021
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
4.5 Stars

After suffering a horrific injury that threatens to end his career, Baden Oulett is about to learn that sometimes a fresh start is just what the doctor ordered.

I worked my whole life to achieve one goal—play professional hockey. As part of the defending Cup champion Arizona Vengeance, I was living my dream until one split second decision destroyed it all. Instead of lacing up my skates and hitting the ice, I’ve spent my days in rehab and physical therapy just so I could walk again. When a coaching opportunity with the Pittsburgh Titans is presented to me, I find myself with a career I had never considered but which allows me to continue being part of the sport that I love.

While my injuries are physical, the same can’t be said for the woman I rescued. Suffering from wounds that can’t be seen, Sophie Winters has withdrawn from the world in fear and guilt. I didn’t know Sophie before that fateful night and have only met her once since, but I refuse to let her face her demons alone. Determined to be a friend, I support Sophie in the only way I know how… by simply being there.

Through our shared trauma, Sophie and I begin to find peace within one another. As we grow closer, what started as friendship becomes more intimate until our broken pieces become one. But can a love born of anguish endure, or will the pain of our past prove too much to overcome?


GOODREADS | AMAZON | AUDIBLE



Baden was my first experience with Sawyer Bennett. When I saw her mention that her (then upcoming) Pittsburgh Titans series was more emotional than anything she’d written previously… she had me. Emotional is my catnip. And I was not disappointed. I was hooked immediately. It was impossible not to feel deeply for Baden and Sophie, both of whom were experiencing the lasting effects of a shared traumatic event. Baden’s injuries were mainly physical, and severe enough to end his career as a professional hockey player. The aftermath for Sophie was mental and emotional and her life was now ruled by crippling fear. When Baden accepts a job as the new goalie coach for the Pittsburgh Titans, the same city where Sophie lives, he reaches out to her to see how she’d doing. The bond they already share leads to friendship and then to the possibility of more. But Sophie may be too broken to truly leave the past behind.

The premise for the series is centered on the devastating loss when the Pittsburgh Titans team plane crashes, killing everyone on board. Now the team is rebuilt with the three players who had not been on the plane, a few who have come back from retirement, and many brought up from the minor league. The new team is facing many obstacles, both internal and external, and the stage is set for each player to get his story.

Baden was an amazing start to the series and I just wanted more, more, more. I adored Baden - this man was the sweetest and kindest ever! I loved his willingness to be there for others. He was able to look past himself and pay attention to those around him and see what they needed. He didn’t just give lip service, he was actually invested in people and made it his mission to truly be there for them. Sophie’s story was so moving and seeing how she was still a prisoner of the attack that had left her living in fear was heartbreaking. It was a slow process but I cheered on her every victory and how she worked to reclaim her life. My heart was fully engaged with Baden and Sophie and their slow burn romance developed so naturally. Even with the more serious subject matter, there was a strong focus on healing and starting over. After being consumed by their story, I can’t wait to return to the world of the Pittsburgh Titans. ★★★★.5


Have you read this book?


18 comments

  1. Oh my goodness, this sounds like such an emotional read, between the plane crash and Baden and Sophie's accident. I can totally see how a traumatic event can bring two people together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - It was definitely emotional, but not overly so. Just such a good story!

      Delete
  2. I have not read this, but it sounds so good. I like a strong emotional book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - I was so invested in this one. And have already read the next two in the series. So good!

      Delete
  3. I am still stuck on the first line. I cannot believe you have not read a Sawyer Bennett book before. I have this book, and you have me needing to put it on this week's TBR. To heck with release dates, I need to start this series. PS - Garrett was my favorite Cold Fury book by Bennett. It's emotional with an incredible ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I know, I know! Where have I been, right? I've subscribed to Bennett's newsletter for ages but just ever got around to reading anything. Then when she announced this series and said it was more emotional than her norm I was all over it. Apparently there are ties between this series and her Arizona Vengeance series so I might move on to that next. I am finding that she writes the best heroes. I've been in love with the hero in all three books so far. I'll be so excited to see your thoughts if you pick this one up!

      Delete
  4. Okay, this is going on my list! It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been quite a while since I've read Sawyer Bennett - years actually. But, you definitely have me wanting to pick this up. I can get on board with emotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - This book (and the next two) really exceeded my expectations!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read anything by Bennett in a couple of years, but it sounds like I need to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I've read all three books in the series now and I'm thinking I need to dive into Bennett's backlist!

      Delete
  7. This read sounds amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed it so! I'll definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! The whole series has been a big hit for me.

      Delete
  8. I have read quite a few of Sawyer Bennett's books but not for the past couple of years. It sounds like I need to make time for this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole - I've read the first three in this series now and it has me anxious to dive into Bennett's backlist!

      Delete
  9. I've read and loved several books by Bennett, but didn't know about this new series. It sounds amazing! I can't imagine a whole team dying in a plane crash! I'm wondering about Sophie's trauma too. Off to see how to get this one. Wonderful review, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - This was such an amazing start to the series. I've inhaled the first three books and am anxiously waiting for the 4th. I hope you'll love it if you decide to try it!

      Delete