Short Take Reviews: Three Piper Rayne Titles

 

by Piper Rayne
Series: Lake Starlight #1
Pub: 5/16/2023
Format: Audio
4 stars

Rylan and Calista had been in each other's lives since they were six years old: as rivals, teammates, friends, and lovers. Everyone knew they belonged together. Both professional soccer players, things changed dramatically when Calista's career ended due to an injury. She returned to her small hometown of Lake Starlight, Alaska to lick her wounds and start over. Three years later, Rylan is back in Lake Starlight for their friend's wedding and he makes it known that Calista is still his one and only. He has just three weeks to get Calista to open up, to give them a second chance, and make her believe they belong together forever. Having read Piper Rayne's Greene Family series, I already knew and loved Rylan and Calista. I was happy to return to Lake Starlight (and nearby Sunrise Bay) and so many characters who were familiar to me. While I love a second chance romance, I did find myself frustrated with Calista at times because there was truly nothing keeping she and Rylan apart - other than her own issues and insecurities. Love was not the problem, but it was a case of sometimes love not being enough. Despite wishing that Calista would have been more forthcoming with Rylan from the start, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them find their way back to one another.

by Piper Rayne
Series: Lake Starlight #2
Pub: 6/27/2023
Format: Audio
4.25 stars

Widowed at 21, after just one year of marriage, Brinley knows that it's time to move on. It's been four years, but family and friends still treat her with kid gloves. Enter Van Adler, who answers her ad for a roommate. Forced by his Coast Guard Commanding Officer to take eight weeks of leave, Van arrives in Lake Starlight, secures a bartending job, and a place to stay. Van's background was heartbreaking and while his appearance (tattooed and muscled) might have screamed bad boy, he was anything but. Kind, compassionate, and patient, Van was the stuff of book boyfriend dreams. While they initially both withheld information - Brinley let Van assume she was divorced; Van did not share that he was there temporarily - I loved how over time they did share the truth, without there being third act bombshells. I enjoyed seeing Van encourage Brinley to follow her passion without guilt over family expectations, and Brinley slowly moving past her grief and embracing life again made me want to cheer for her. Van's background had him feeling so unworthy, as if he had no value and nothing to offer, so I appreciated that Brinley took steps to fight for him and their HEA. This felt like a stronger and emotional story than the first book in the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it.



Over My Brother's Dead Body, Chase Andrews
by Piper Rayne
Series: Kingsmen Football Stars #3
Pub: 3/24/2023
Format: Kindle
4 stars

Twyla has been dumped by her cheating fiancé and relocates from Connecticut to California for a break from all the pitying stares. Taking a job to house/pet-sit, she finds herself living across the hall from none other than Chase Andrews, her professional football player brother's teammate. Reticent and anti-social, Chase was the grumpiest of grumps. When Twyla convinced him to take in a stray kitten, it kicked off a friendship of sorts and the two began spending time together. Their mutual attraction led to a friends with benefits arrangement which (obviously) led to some very real feelings - although neither was brave enough to admit their hearts were now involved. What I loved about Chase was that, despite that grumpy exterior, he had the softest of hearts. His actions always belied his words and while he would grumble and complain, the big bear of a man would do absolutely anything for Twyla. He loved her sunny disposition and these two opposites definitely attracted. If you enjoy a grumpy-sunshine romance on the lighter side, You'll love Twyla and Chase.



Have you read any of these books?

20 comments

  1. I appreciate your candid perspective on the dynamics of second chances and character growth. Rylan and Calista's complex journey to rekindle their connection, despite their own obstacles, seems to really resonate with the intricacies of real relationships and makes for an intriguing read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ethan. Calista having to deal with her own issues did bring some realism to the relationship. It made for a believable story.

      Delete
  2. These all sound good! I need to get back to reading this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - Piper Rayne is a real go-to for when I want a lighter angst-free romance.

      Delete
    2. I just need to put their books on my list for when I need that type of read!

      Delete
  3. All of these sound like fun,especially that second one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lark! Piper Rayne is a pretty dependable author (duo) for me. :)

      Delete
  4. I have been seeing a ton of this author lately so I am thrilled that these turned out to be such solid reads for you. I really like the sound of that second one. I just adore a heroine who makes so much proactive effort in the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee - I loved seeing Brinley step outside of her comfort zone and fight for Van. And he deserved that. :)

      Delete
  5. Known each other since they were six, friends-to-lovers romance featuring sporty hero and heroine -- yes! I love the sound of that one, but the 21-year old widow is calling to me too. My heart is already broken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I've read so many by Piper Rayne but the one with the young widow (The Issue with Bad Boy Roommates) stands out as a favorite. And it could certainly be read as a standalone.

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of The Issue With Bad Boy Roommates. Still haven't read Piper Rayne but I guess I need to seeing your love for her writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Piper Rayne is perfect for when you want something light on the angst and drama.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these books yet but Piper Payne is on my list of authors to try. Glad to hear these were all good reads for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - I turn to Piper Rayne when I need a break from the emotion and angst in my usual reads. lol

      Delete
  8. I've had my eye on all 3 of these. Glad they were solid reads for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of these books myself. But I definitely want to now!
    Love your short reviews! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen - Piper Rayne is my go-to for when I want something on the lighter side. :)

      Delete
  10. I haven't read any of these books yet, but I have adore the ones I have read by them! Did you see they're coming out with a Christmas story this year? I'm sooooo excited lol!

    ReplyDelete