Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Reasons Why I Love Wolfsong

 

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.


This Week's Top Ten Tuesday Topic:
Ten Reasons Why I Love Wolfsong
 
For a book blog that is largely devoted to contemporary romance, I probably talk about this paranormal/lgbtq/romance a surprising amount. But that fact should only go to show what a remarkable story it is and what an impact it made. Today I'm sharing 10 reasons why Wolfsong is so special and why it's one of my (very rare) 5-star favorites. If you've read Wolfsong, then you know. If you're considering reading Wolfsong, maybe this will help convince you. 😉


Ten Reasons Why I Love Wolfsong
(interspersed with some favorite quotes)

1. Ox
There's no other place to start than with main character Ox. He is one of those too-good-for-this-world characters who has no idea how special he is. From being verbally abused and beaten down by his father, to being accepted and loved for exactly who he was by the Bennett's, it was beyond satisfying to watch Ox find his place in the world.

“It should have been obvious what they were, but then I wasn’t looking for the incredible buried in the ordinary.”

2. All the emotions.
Wolfsong has them all. The span of the story and the character's journeys display the full range of the human experience: isolation, connection, hope, pain, rage, love, joy.

“Please just let me have you. Please. Nothing else matters if I can’t have you.” 

3. Joe
Oh, how I loved Joe. His backstory was heartbreaking but it was Ox who brought him out of the darkness. From a child who was fascinated by Ox and glued to his side, to a man with staggering responsibilities on his shoulders, I loved Joe through it all.

"You gotta smell him and tell me why it’s all candy canes and pinecones and epic and awesome!"

4. The world-building.
Klune's creation of Green Creek, the small town in Oregon, and the power it held pulled me in from the very start. The werewolf mythology is viewed through the naïve eyes of Ox, making each revelation about this world that he didn't know existed even more remarkable.

“I’m a witch,” he said.

And I said, “You’re a wizard, Harry,” because I thought there was a very real chance I was caught in a dream.


5. The writing style.
Ox is a bit simple (in the best way possible) and his view of the world around him and the people in his life is wonderfully refreshing. Ox's POV means there is no purple prose, but neither is it overly simplistic. Klune created a vivid world while also making me feel deeply for each character. (For the record, I shed many tears.)

“I need you to know that I meant what I said."

"When you said what?"

"Everything I've ever said to you. Everything, Ox.”

6. Werewolves
I can't say that I am an avid paranormal/fantasy reader so it's not like I'm super familiar with werewolf lore. But I've found that I usually enjoy werewolves in my paranormal fiction over some other magical/mythical creatures (i.e. zombies, angels/demons, wizards, etc.).

“Monsters are real. Magic is real. The world is a dark and frightening place and it’s all real.”

7. Found family
Who doesn't love the found family trope? It was done beautifully in Wolfsong and went far beyond Ox's acceptance into the Bennett family. From Gordo and the guys at the auto shop, to Ox's mom and beyond, the love and acceptance found with those outside the bonds of the traditional family were front and center.

“Am I part of your pack?”

He said, “What do you think pack means?”

“Family,” I said promptly.

Thomas smiled. “Yes, Ox. You are part of my pack.”


8. Every secondary character is unique and necessary.
What a cast of characters! Each one so unique, with their own identifiable voice and purpose. Ox's friend Gordo, alpha Thomas Bennett, Joe's siblings, and all the rest... I adored them all.

“Oh my god, Ox, your life is like those shitty sparkly vampire movies. That I’ve never seen and don’t like at all, shut up.”

9. Perfect blend of character + plot.
I'm 100% a character-driven reader and will always choose character over plot. Wolfsong managed to deliver both and do them equal justice. 

“All I wanted to do was come home, because without you, I don’t have a home.”

10. It's the first book in a series.
That means there's much more to enjoy! I've read Ravensong, the second book, so I still have two more opportunities to revisit the Bennett pack.


Have you read Wolfsong?

22 comments

  1. After reading all your reasons I can totally understand why so many people love this book! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - It's far from my usual reads, but even so it became an instant favorite.

      Delete
  2. I've heard so many good things about this series, need to read it soon!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aymee - I hope you'll love it too if you decide to pick it up.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of TJ Klune's books yet. I really want to, though, they all sound so well-written. I'm glad you love Wolfsong as much as you do. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenni. I've read beyond Klune's Wolfsong series but I look forward to working my way through them all.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Wolfsong, but I can appreciate your love of the book.
    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/reasons-i-love-listening-to-audiobooks/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to move this book up my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - Move Wolfsong to the top of your TBR. You won't regret it. LOL

      Delete
  6. Found family is always a plus in any book. I hope the series continues to delight you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - The found family aspect was a huge driving factor in the story and I loved that about it.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this, but there are a lot of things I like: found family, simple but profound writing, and perfect blend of character and plot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - There really was so much to love in this one!

      Delete
  8. Every time you bring this one up I'm reminded that I still need to read it. It isn't my usual genre, but I adored House in the Cerulean Sea, so I trust you and this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - I can safely say Wolfsong isn't me usual genre, either, but even so it become an instant favorite.

      Delete
  9. I love a good found family! This book has been on my TBR for ages and it definitely sounds like I need to pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - I hope you will love it when you get to it!

      Delete