Review: Letting Go by Molly McAdams

Letting Go by Molly McAdams

Series: Thatch #1

Genres: New Adult, Contemporary Romance

Release Date: November 4, 2014

Format: Trade Paperback

Source: Library Loan

Find it here: GoodReads | Amazon



Synopsis

Grey and Ben fell in love at thirteen and believed they’d be together forever. But three days before their wedding, the twenty-year-old groom-to-be suddenly died from an unknown heart condition, destroying his would-be-bride’s world. If it hadn’t been for their best friend, Jagger, Grey never would have made it through those last two years to graduation. He’s the only one who understands her pain, the only one who knows what it’s like to force yourself to keep moving when your dreams are shattered. Jagger swears he’ll always be there for her, but no one has ever been able to hold on to him. He’s not the kind of guy to settle down.

It’s true that no one has ever been able to keep Jagger—because he’s only ever belonged to Grey. While everyone else worries over Grey’s fragility, he’s the only one who sees her strength. Yet as much as he wants Grey, he knows her heart will always be with Ben. Still they can’t deny the heat that is growing between them—a passion that soon becomes too hot to handle. But admitting their feelings for each other means they’ve got to face the past. Is being together what Ben would have wanted . . . or a betrayal of his memory that will eventually destroy them both?


My Thoughts

First things first. Before I get into my thoughts on this book I just have to acknowledge that cover. That hideous, oh-so-unfortunate cover. The man wearing the white dress should not be on this cover. He does not scream romance to me and (before I covered his manly-man face) I kept picturing our intrepid heroine with masculine features, a strong, square jaw, and a red wig. I was forced to take the following measures:


Okay, I feel I can carry on now. In the meantime, feel free to donate to my new non-profit organization, Readers Against Bad Covers. Together we can make a difference.

Letting Go was the first by Molly McAdams I've read so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I found was a simple writing style (which isn't a bad thing), a girl that everyone fawns over, a perfect guy, and lots of angst.

As the synopsis tells you, Grey is days away from marrying childhood sweetheart Ben when he dies from a previously unknown heart defect. She falls apart and leans heavily on Jagger, best friend to both she and Ben. Flash forward two years and Grey and Jagger, having just graduated college, are headed back to their hometown. It doesn't take long for Jagger to come clean that's he's been in love with Grey for years and Grey freaks out. Cue much angst.

Before you get the idea that I didn't like this one... not true. Yeah, I had issues. Every guy - and I do mean every guy - in the book fawns over Grey like you wouldn't believe. Apparently she's like a siren and no man can resist her. So you know, that's real nice for her. Next up is Jagger. Who is perfect. No, seriously, the guy has no faults. He has the patience of a saint (Saint Jagger - I like the sound of it), he is understanding, he is romantic, he's protective and kind, and he always says just the right thing. And while that is totally unrealistic, I still fell for it and found him to be seven levels of swoony. Finally, there are *so* many issues at play. A story of a young woman moving past a tragic event and finding love again would have been enough. But that would be too easy. There is so much more going on: the love story, grief, harassment and stalking, secrets, even a child with questionable parentage. There was a lot thrown in the mix here. 

But like I said, don't go thinking I didn't like it. Despite all that, I still got sucked into the story, I still fell for Saint Jagger, and I was still pushing for that HEA. Even though the story deals a lot with loss and grief and moving on, I still consider this to be on the lighter side of New Adult. So if you're looking for "light but angsty" (it's totally a thing, just ask me), this one would be right up your alley.

3.5/5 Stars 
What's your take on TGTBT (to good to be true) male characters? 
Enjoy them or just too unrealistic to be believed?

No comments