Shelf Love Challenge 2016


I don't tend to make New Years resolutions, but when it comes to reading I have one mantra for 2016: Read What I Want to Read. Too often I have read mediocre books while the ones I'm truly excited about linger on my shelf. What's that about?! So I decided no more. No more reading based on hype, no more reading the latest and greatest (just because it's what everyone else is reading), and no more ARC overload. Nope. I'm going to Read What I Want to Read. All those books that that I was dying to read, the ones I pre-ordered, the ones by my favorite authors, the new (to me) authors I was excited to try... *that's* what I'm going to read this year.

So to help me along with this I decided to do something I've never done - join a reading challenge. And the #ShelfLove Challenge seems custom made for my goal. It's all about reading the books you already own. Bingo! 

Guidelines for the #ShelfLove Challenge 2016
    • Read books that are in your personal library that were obtained before January 1, 2016.
    • Responsibly obtain books for your personal library.
    • You may wish to abstain from purchasing books or set a book budget for yourself.
    • You decide the best way to get control of your TBR pile and read the books you already own.
    • Library books (and textbooks) do not count for the challenge.
    • You may use your library to obtain different formats of books you already own and count those towards your goal.
    • Participate in the monthly discussion posts by linking up, visiting and commenting on the other participants’ blogs.
    • Goals for the #ShelfLove Challenge 2016
      1­-10 books: shake hands with your shelves
      11-­20 books: pat your shelves on the back
      21-­30 books: give your shelves a warm friendly hug
      31-­40 books: regular date night with your shelves
      41-­50 books: my shelves are now my bff
      51+ books: my shelves and I are going steady
    I'm setting my goal between 31-40 books (hopefully more but we'll see how it goes). My focus is not on buying fewer books or not growing my TBR, and I have no plans for a book buying ban. For me this is all about reading the books I already own, the ones I've put off for whatever crazy reasons. I'm ready!

    The #ShelfLove Challenge is hosted by Julie and Lynn at Chapter Break, Terri at Second Run Reviews, and Brandee at BookwormBrandee. Check their links for more info or to sign up!

    Are you participating in the #ShelfLove Challenge? Or any reading challenges? Are you a fan of reading challenges?


    No comments