Review: Fortunate Son by Jay Crownover

Jay Crownover
Publication date: 6/22/2021
Format: Audio
Source: Purchased
4 Stars

Ry Archer and Bowe Keller are as different as night and day. That doesn't mean they don't share similar struggles. At the moment, both are realizing the reality of getting closer to reaching their dreams is not living up to all the hype. The childhood cohorts always seem to connect when one of them needs help. They might constantly rub each other the wrong way (except for when they rubbed each other really, really right), but there is no denying they've always made one hell of a team.

For Ry, he thought he had the perfect girl. He was going to marry young and have the same kind of legendary, lifelong romance his parents did...or so he believed. His girl was going to stand by his side as he chased his dream of being a professional football player in the NFL. He was wrong.

Bowe's about to figure out that maybe she wasn't meant to be in a rock and roll band and that it is entirely possible she let her father's dream and road to success cloud her own idea of what making music should be. Bowe needs to find her own way to fame, and there's a good chance she wouldn't be brave enough or bold enough to start over if Ry Archer hadn't pushed his way back into her life when she least expected it.


I loved Crownover’s Marked Men series (and the Saints of Denver spin-off series) and have read/listened to the complete series multiple times. So learning that she was creating a second generation series featuring the offspring of the original characters had me all kinds of excited. The series kick off with Ry (son of Rule and Shaw Archer) and Bowe (daughter of Jet and Ayden Keller). Childhood friends with a complicated history, a brief affair as teens ended badly and they haven’t spoken since. When Ry’s girlfriend breaks up with him, his battered heart leads him back to the one person he needs: Bowe.

Ry and Bowe had an evolution from friends (although ones who totally pushed each other’s buttons) to more, to a period of estrangement, before coming back together and recognizing their connection for what is was: two people who were almost polar opposites but brought out the best in one another. They both struggled with forging their own paths and following their own dreams. This was very much a new adult story with a focus of these characters coming into their own and straddling that line between needing some parental guidance and also breaking away from those expectations and crossing into adulthood.

I have to mention (without any spoilers) a scene toward the end that harkened back to the original Marked Men series (Rome, book #3). It was a tie-in that I never saw coming and completely hit me in the feels. The scene from Rome, in the original series, is one that never fails to make me cry (yes, every single time I listened to it) and has stayed with me over the years. The same held true here in Fortunate Son. As soon as I understood the connection… cue the tears, because they were surely flowing. Kudos to Crownover for that tie-in that was so emotional and so meaningful.

My only quibble with Fortunate Son would be that the ending felt rushed and, for me, wasn’t fully satisfying. I listened to this one on audio, so I didn’t always have a good idea of where I was in the story. And when it ended I thought, “Wait, that was it? That was the end?” While I imagine there will be more of Ry and Bowe in the next book, I was hoping for something a little more from the ending here.

I so enjoyed being back in the Marked Men world and learning that these beloved characters were all still very much in each other’s lives. I will admit that, especially in the beginning, my eyes were crossing trying to keep all the second-gen kids straight – who their parents were, who was related, what their relationships were. All I can say is thank goodness for the family tree Crownover has on her website! I loved Ry and Bowe – and the whole cast of characters – and can’t wait to continue the series. 4 Stars


16 comments

  1. It's always so exciting when an author you love starts a new series. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Wendy! It's so fun to continue on in the same world.

      Delete
  2. Aw! I loved reading this review almost as much as I loved reading this book. It brought me back to it in the best way. I would have to agree with your quibble and everything else you said. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Deanna! I have a major soft spot for the Marked series and this one made me so nostalgic for it.

      Delete
  3. Great review, Tanya! I really feel like the author was able to create deep characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I was crying, Tanya! I might be crying right now. Crownover knows how to get to me. I loved being back in this world, and it was great the way Crownover included the original Marked people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to love, right?! Seeing Rule and Shaw and Jet and Ayden as parents was just... *mind blown* :) I loved being back in that world.

      Delete
  5. I don't think that I have read Crownover yet but I have a couple of her books around here somewhere. This sounds like something that I would really like but I would maybe start with the original series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely start with the original series, Carole. I have such a soft spot for those original books!

      Delete
  6. This is about the Marked Men's kids?! Wow! I read most of the books from the series, but I don't know if I finished it. Rome is one of my favorites out of it so your mention of a tie in has me curious. I need to revisit this series. Maybe on audio. Glad to hear this was a hit, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Yes! Isn't that something? :) I don't know if you remember the scene with Rome in the parking lot of the bar? And what happened with him during the ambulance ride? (Trying not to spoil anything for other.) Well, there's a definite connection between that and this book. And it was *everything*!

      The whole Marked series is so nostalgic for me. I loved all the books but one. It was the fifth book that I struggled with. I adored Rowdy, but the female lead, Salem? Not a fan. So that one was just okay, but otherwise I just adored the series and have listened to it on audio several times.

      Delete
  7. Endings can really make or break a novel. Sounds like this one wasn't the best ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say the ending was bad... I just wanted more from it. Something more definitive and a little less open-ended. But it was a solid 4 star read for me! :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read anything by Crownover for years. I think I read Jet - I'll have to check.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about that series really grabbed me and I've listened to the whole things several times.

      Delete