Short Take Reviews: Point of Origin (Rebecca Yarros) and A Greene Family Summer Bash (Piper Rayne)




by Rebecca Yarros
Legacy series #0.5
Pub date: March 6, 2016

When Rebecca Yarros recently announced a full-length novel in the Legacy series coming in April 2022, I knew immediately I wanted to read the two prequel novellas and introduce myself to the Legacy world and characters.

The town of Legacy was wiped out by a fire that took the lives of 18 of its hotshot firefighting team. Among them, the fathers of Emmerson and Sebastian. Years later, Sebastian has left the town, and Emmerson, without a word, leaving Emmerson hurt, angry, and broken-hearted. When he returns with a plan to put together a new Legacy hotshot team, he faces an uphill battle - with the town, and with Emmerson.

This was an absorbing story of second chances and redemption. I’m always a sucker for characters who don’t deny their feelings but still cannot be together due to other circumstances, which was very much the case with Emmerson and Sebastian (Bash). As interested as I was in their relationship, I think I was even more invested in the overall story of the town, its rise from the ashes (quite literally), and especially the hotshot firefighters. I’m excited to continue the series.
 3.5 STARS

by Piper Rayne
Greene Family series #3.5
Pub date: July 27, 2021

What a great time this was! I love returning to the Greene family and their every-expanding clan. This novella takes place on the day of the Greene’s annual summer get-together and the gang is all there (even pro football player Xavier, in his first appearance in the series). I enjoyed the multiple points of view, the glimpse at characters that I already know and love, and the hints at what’s to come with the other siblings.

While Nikki is still a character that I don’t really warm to (girlfriend is seriously self-absorbed), I loved the chapters for Chevelle, Mandi, Fisher, Cade, and all the others. The set-up for Jed’s story was probably my favorite aspect. He was dealt quite a shock at the end of the last book and it’s obvious he’s not handling the new life changes well. I’m so excited that the next book in the series is his story.

I was hooked on this small-town, big extended family series from the prequel novella and I’ve enjoyed each and every entry since. While each book does focus on one couple, the whole meddling, supportive, loving Greene family is always included. I’m glad there are so many siblings since that means plenty more books to come. 3.5 STARS


HAVE YOU READ EITHER OF THESE BOOKS?

17 comments

  1. Nice reviews! I have not read any of these books, but Greene Family series really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! The Greene Family series by Piper Rayne has been such an unexpected surprise! :)

      Delete
  2. I feel like Yarros gave us a taste with those Legacy novellas. I would have read full length books about those characters, so I'm excited for the next book. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I would have loved a full length novel of Emmy and Bash.

      Delete
  3. I love the cover for A Greene Family Summer Bash. Small town, big family romances are a favorite so it sounds like a series I'd enjoy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Nice to see a new post from you, Tanya! I was thinking about you. Hope you're doing well. :)

      Delete
    2. Isn't that cover gorgeous? I was showing it to my husband while reading it and said the same thing.

      Thanks so much, Rachel! February was a rough month with being sick and I wasn't up to posting/visiting. It feels good to want to post again! Thanks for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  4. I have not read either of these authors yet (but I want to). It sounds like both of these stories were well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole, they really were. Piper Rayne especially packed a lot into the Greene family novella!

      Delete
  5. I've seen Piper Rayne around a lot but haven't read her books, but the idea of a series surrounding a big extended family is always fun to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love series that follow families and this one by Piper Rayne is a great example of that.

      Delete
  6. Family series are favorites of mine for all the reasons you mentioned (which are similar to my love for companions with the added family flair). Though I don't like it in real life, I enjoy reading about meddling family too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for a good family series. And yeah, meddling IRL... hard pass. But it's fun how up in each other's lives the Greene family is. :)

      Delete
  7. Point Of Origin sounds like a great opener to what's going to be a great series! I wanna check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be reading the next novella soon and can't wait for the first full-length novel!

      Delete
  8. Rebecca Yarros's Legacy series sounds interesting. I'll probably be the same becoming invested in the town because the backstory of the fire wiping it out and it rising from the ashes sounds really interesting. I always say I'm going to read one of Rebecca Yarros's releases and the fact this is gonna be a new series maybe it will be the time I check something out from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca Yarros usually writes super emotional stories but Point of Origin felt very different. I guess it was written before she developed her knack for crushing hearts. LOL

      Delete