Review: Gage by Sawyer Bennett

GAGE

by Sawyer Bennett
Series: Pittsburgh Titans #3
Publication date: 7/5/2022
Format: Kindle
Source: Overdrive
4.5 Stars

Veteran player Gage Heyward retired from the league following a successful career. Now the Titans need him, but does he have what it takes to get back on the ice and pull this team together?

After achieving the goals I set for myself, I walked away from my professional hockey career. It was a tough decision, but the right one at the time. When the Titans organization approached me about joining the team they were rebuilding following a devastating plane crash, I felt a passion for the game and a competitive spirit I hadn’t felt in years. The opportunity to make a huge difference to a lot of people spoke to me, and I accepted their offer and headed to Pittsburgh without a second thought.

Jenna Holland is also new to town, having moved from Phoenix to Pittsburgh to take a job with the Titans. Her past has left her with scars—both physical and emotional—and she’s slow to trust others. But the more I learn about Jenna, the more I want to know. The more I need to know. Because the beautiful blonde with honey gold eyes and a wall around her heart has me enamored.

My game on the ice is the best it’s ever been, but it’s my game off the ice I’m focused on these days. Because while Jenna may not be willing to take a chance, I know the potential is there for something big. Something life changing. Now I just need to convince her to take the shot.


GOODREADS | AMAZON | AUDIBLE


After the tragic loss of the Pittsburgh Titans hockey team in a horrific plane crash, Gage Heyward is called from retirement. Intrigued by the idea of helping to rebuild the team and be a part of history, Gage accepts the offer. It’s obvious there are some growing pains, and it will take time for the team to truly gel, but he is still excited to play and, as a veteran player, be a guiding force on the team.

Jenna Holland is looking for a fresh start. After surviving a horrific house fire, she has spent years trying to recover – both physically and emotionally. Her physical scarring means she has dealt with abandonment and rejection, and she is wary of putting herself out there. Accepting a job as the media liaison with the Pittsburg Titans is a big step for her, and she is determined to give others the benefit of the doubt and not automatically expect judgment and disgust.

From Gage’s first meeting with Jenna, it was obvious that he was a good man. Jenna was aware that he noticed her scars and quickly shut down and withdrew. Gage, unwilling to let her think he was judging her in any way, set things right with her immediately. The care and compassion he showed made it obvious he was special from the start.

Gage found reasons to seek Jenna out, to try and spend time with her, and make his interest known. It was difficult for Jenna to accept his interest at face value, and I loved that Gage was so open and honest and was always upfront about his feelings and intentions. My heart hurt for Jenna and what she still had to deal with. It would have been easier to hide away and not take chances, so I was cheering her on every time she pushed herself out of her comfort zone.

Brienne, the team owner, agreed to have a documentary made about the rebuilt team and it was totally something I could see happening in real life. Jenna’s involvement with the documentary team meant more time with the players (including Gage) and more interaction with people outside her small circle of friends. While she continued to struggle with her insecurities, Bennett did an amazing job of showing Jenna’s confidence rise in such a natural way. The various team events meant more time with some of the players (and executive staff) I have come to love. An ongoing issue with a staff member was resolved in this entry and I was practically cheering and pumping my fist over how it was handled.

At the risk of going overboard with my praise of Gage, I have to say he is one special romantic hero. Some might say he was too good to be true, but sometimes too good is just right. Gage was old-fashioned, protective, patient, compassionate – and his open communication with Jenna (both in and out of the bedroom) to ensure they were on the same page was always on display. The tenderness and care he showed Jenna were enough to melt any heart.

As with the previous books in the series, the character development was perfection. Bennett has created something special with this cast of characters and the way she highlights the camaraderie of the teammates is one of my favorite aspects. This series has been so much more than I expected and I can’t wait for the next release. ★★★★.5


Have you read this book?


26 comments

  1. Jenna sound so broken, and Gage sounds just like the guy she needs. Wonderful review Tanya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Gage definitely helped Jenna see that she was so much more than her scars.

      Delete
  2. Gage sounds like the perfect book boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to check this series out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're having a successful binge and I LOVE IT! You've made me think I need to binge the series. I'm going to wait until you're done, but most likely will. I'm loving these reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I wish the whole series was out so I really could binge! But it's just worked out that I posted the reviews close together. :) I think there are still four more books to come.

      Delete
  5. This series is on my list after seeing how much you've been enjoying it, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I'm so hooked on the series. It's so much more than I expected.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes its just really nice to have such a GOOD GUY hero that emulates what we really want ya know? I really need to get back to reading this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee - Yes! Some could argue that Gage is too good to be true, but I agree with you... sometimes that type of character is such a refreshing change.

      Delete
  7. Love that this series is still producing hits for you! I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it if/when you get to it.

      Delete
  8. Now I know he takes the job. YES! I am so glad Bennett put him and Jenna together. Sounds amazing. I need to giddy up on these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Oops! Guess that was a minor spoiler. (But since there is a book with his name on it that's also kind of a big giveaway. LOL) Gage and Jenna together were so, so good.

      Delete
  9. You are really making me want to drop everything to read more of Sawyer Bennett's books! I am so glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole - I don't know why I haven't been reading Sawyer Bennett before this series!

      Delete
  10. I haven't read this. I usually don't read sports stories, but this one sounds really interesting. I like the idea of two people coming together because of tragic circumstances. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni - I really love Gage's support of Jenna after all that she'd been through.

      Delete
  11. This series seems so interesting! I also love all the different covers, but how cohesive they look!!? I added the first book to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther - Same here! I really love the overall series branding with the covers.

      Delete
  12. You've sold me on this series! I really need to see if I can get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie - Yay, I'm so glad! I've been so impressed with each book so far.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Suzanne - He really was the best! So steady and supportive.

      Delete