Short Take Reviews: Help Me Remember | Overkill

 


HELP ME REMEMBER
Corinne Michaels
Series: Rose Canyon #1
Format: Kindle
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Romantic Suspense
Trope(s): Brother's best friend, memory loss

Brielle woke up in a hospital and learned that her beloved older brother, her best friend and protector, had been killed and she was the only witness. Making matters worse, the head injury she suffered left her with no memory of the attack. There was now a three-year gap in her memory. With no idea of why the attack happened, or who did it, Brielle was given a security detail to keep her safe. Her brother’s three best friends also surrounded her and supported her, including Spencer, a world-renowned investigative journalist who worked with Brie to uncover her past and regain her memories. As memories started to resurface, Brie was left with more questions than answers. I don’t want to give anything away, but I will say I was glued to this fast-paced romantic suspense. Michaels did a great job at planting a few red herrings and I had theories galore, only to be surprised. Fans of her earlier books will be thrilled by the appearance of several previous characters. The story is told through two points of view – Brie’s and one other – and I will say that reading the other POV broke my heart again and again and had me tearing up. The heartache was real. This was an entertaining yet emotional story with a great set-up for the next book in the series. 4 STARS


Sandra Brown
Series: NA
Format: Audio
Genre: Suspense, Thriller, Romantic Suspense

Former NFL quarterback Zach Bridger had a brief but tumultuous marriage to Rachel. He’s not seen Rachel in five years so he’s shocked to receive a call that she is on life support and, since he still has medical power-of-attorney, he will have to make the impossible decisions about her care. Unwilling to deal with the scrutiny of the media, and the pressure from Rebecca’s parents, Zach walks away, allowing her parents to call the shots. Four years later, the man responsible for Rebecca’s violent assault is released from prison early. The privileged and spoiled son of a wealthy family, Eban has no remorse and intends to return to his indulgent life of debauchery. That is, until a savvy state prosecutor approaches Zach with surprising news. In the event of Rebecca’s death, Eban could be tried for murder and receive a sentence fitting of the crime. Once again, Zach is faced with an impossible decision. If Rebecca remains in her vegetative state, Eban walks free. In order for Eban to be tried properly for his crimes, Zach will face an unimaginable choice. Meanwhile, Eban is well aware how precarious his freedom is, and is willing to make sure neither Zach nor Kate will live to threaten that. This was my first by Sandra Brown and I thoroughly enjoyed this fast-paced tale. The mix of suspense, the moral and ethical dilemmas Zach faced, and the romantic tension between Zach and Kate all combined for a great ride4 STARS



HAVE YOU READ THESE BOOKS?
DO YOU ENJOY ROMANTIC SUSPENSE?

24 comments

  1. It is good to know Michaels' book was good. I wasn't really planning on reading it because of the memory gap thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I thought it was handled pretty well. I'm still not 100% sure why no one was allowed to fill her in on info (something about not comprising the criminal case) but I just went with it. lol

      Delete
  2. Sandra Brown is one of those authors who I've always been aware of but never read. I definitely think romantic suspense is a good gateway for getting me to read more romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Ethan. I was impressed with Overkill, though, and I'm sure I'll read more from her.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a Sandra Brown book in a few years, I always enjoyed her stories, I need to find time to read more of her newer stuff. Help Me Remember looks really good too. I like amnesia plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - I was impressed with Overkill and I'm sure I'll read more from Brown.

      Delete
  4. I think I read a book by Michaels a while back. Must revisit her sometime. Love Sandra Brown so I'm happy you enjoyed Overkill! My absolute favorite by her is Mean Streak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Corinne Michaels is one of my favorites. She writes the kind of emotional romances that I love. The added suspense element in this one was something new.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read either of these books, but I do really enjoy romantic suspense! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - Both of these made me want to read more romantic suspense!

      Delete
  6. Corinne is one author that can make me cry buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, do you know the whole time you are reading who the other POV is? I read a book where that was unclear for most of the story, and it definitely ratcheted up the tension

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Oh yes, you definitely know who the other POV is. I just don't want to give anything away (even though it's not even really a spoiler).

      Delete
  8. Help Me Remember sounds really intriguing. I love romantic suspense. I'm definitely putting it on my TBR. Thanks for the awesome review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni - I hope you'll enjoy it if you decide to give it a try!

      Delete
  9. I love the cover of Help Me Remember. Great review too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read a lot of romance but haven't read a ton of romantic suspense - these both sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Angela - but both of these make me want to read more!

      Delete
  11. I saw the first book and was thinking it has been a while since I've picked up one of Corinne's books. Then I saw the second book and thought that it had REALLY been a long time since I've picked up one of Sandra Brown's books. Glad you enjoyed both of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison. Corinne Michaels is a favorite and I tend to inhale every new release. :)

      Delete
  12. I've not read anything by either of these authors, but I do like romantic suspense so I'll have to check them both out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - I hope you'll enjoy them if you decide to give them a try!

      Delete