Review: Part of Your World by Abby Jimenez

PART OF YOUR WORLD

by Abby Jimenez
Publication date: 7/5/2022
Format: Audiobook
Source: Overdrive
4 Stars

After a wild bet, gourmet grilled-cheese sandwich, and cuddle with a baby goat, Alexis Montgomery has had her world turned upside down. The cause: Daniel Grant, a ridiculously hot carpenter who’s ten years younger than her and as casual as they come—the complete opposite of sophisticated city-girl Alexis. And yet their chemistry is undeniable.

While her ultra-wealthy parents want her to carry on the family legacy of world-renowned surgeons, Alexis doesn’t need glory or fame. She’s fine with being a “mere” ER doctor. And every minute she spends with Daniel and the tight-knit town where he lives, she’s discovering just what’s really important. Yet letting their relationship become anything more than a short-term fling would mean turning her back on her family and giving up the opportunity to help thousands of people.

Bringing Daniel into her world is impossible, and yet she can’t just give up the joy she’s found with him either. With so many differences between them, how can Alexis possibly choose between her world and his?


GOODREADS | AMAZON | AUDIBLE


WHAT I ENJOYED
 
The dialogue/banter: I’m a sucker for good dialogue. For clever, witty banter. And it has to feel realistic – not stilted, not silly, not unrealistic. I loved the dialogue and banter here. Whether it was snappy and clever, or heartfelt and emotional, Jimenez had me eating it up.
 
Daniel: This guy… this guy! Oh my goodness, what a sweetheart. We’re talking Book Boyfriend Hall of Fame. Sweet, thoughtful, responsible, loyal, romantic – generous with his time and with his heart. Daniel took care of those around him – as the mayor of the small town of Wakan, as a friend, as an innkeeper. And he had a baby goat in pajamas. What more could you want?
 
Alexis: She was intelligent, successful, and – even though she was still dealing with the effects of verbal and mental abuse from more than one person in her life – she was self-aware enough to recognize what it was and seek help. It was easy to cheer her on through every step she took to put an end to those patterns and relationships, and reclaim her life on her own terms.
 
Wakan: This little blink-and-you-miss-it-village truly understood the meaning of community. They looked out for one another, they took care of one another, they pitched in when needed. I loved the residents of Wakan and their sense of family.
 
The perfect mix: Jimenez managed to blend romance and humor and more serious themes (verbal and emotional abuse of the main character, physical abuse of a side character) in such a way that none felt overpowered by the other. The humor and the heavier moments were balanced perfectly and had me completely invested.
 
BUT NOT SO MUCH
 
Alexis: Yes, Alexis is appearing on both lists. Because while I cheered for her at times, I was also disappointed by her at others. Even though Daniel welcomed Alexis into his life with open arms, Alexis kept her life completely separate from her time with Daniel. She did not offer him the same openness and transparency that he gave so willingly. Time and time again she had opportunities to include him or just acknowledge him, but consistently chose to deny him and his importance in her life. The hurt she inflicted in the name of keeping the status quo and placating those around her really tainted how I felt about her. She ultimately redeemed herself, but it was a long time coming.
 
The magical elements: I didn’t vibe with the few instances of fabulism and thought the story would have been just as good/effective without them. I am not a fan of fabulism/magical realism in general, so this is totally a “me thing.”
 
OVERALL

Part of Your World was my first by Abby Jimenez and delivered more than I expected. Sweet and steamy, funny and emotional, lovable characters and an engaging story – it all combined for a wonderful experience. I wouldn’t hesitate to read more from Jimenez. 4 stars


Have you read this book?


21 comments

  1. I just read this a couple weeks ago and loved it! Daniel was so wise and mature beyond his years, and I just wanted him and Alexis to figure it all out because she really deserved someone like him, after all she'd been through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - Daniel was the best! I love the way he was so supportive of Alexis.

      Delete
  2. This is a mostly positive review, so yeah! I adore Jimenez for many of the reasons you listed, especially all the emotions she puts me through. And, yes! That town was one of the stars of this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I'm so excited to see that Briana is getting her own book soon!

      Delete
  3. Honestly, I just don't know if this is for me seeing the magical elements. I love fantasy and fantasy romance and I love urban fantasy so it's not that I don't like magic in romance but I don't enjoy it in a book which is a contemporary book. It's disappointing because so much of this book sounds so good and I'm sure I would enjoy it even despite the magical elements but it just means I don't feel as motivated to read. Maybe I should check out the audiobook and see if that works for me, sometimes the stuff I don't like is easier to hear than to read in a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky - I totally get that. I love contemporary romance. And on rare occasion I read urban fantasy and paranormal. But I don't like them to mix. I don't like magical elements in my contemporary romance. But I will say that I listed to this one on audio and thought it was really well done. So maybe it would work for you that way. Because overall it really was a very enjoyable read.

      Delete
  4. I totally know what you mean about Alexis! I both loved and hated her at times. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - Glad it wasn't just me! I was a little more sympathetic when it came to her dealings with her father (even though I still wanted to throttle her for not standing up to the tyrant), because there was a long history/pattern there. But her treatment of Daniel and the way she denied him in front of others... that was hard to get past. It was so hurtful.

      Delete
  5. Great review! I am hoping to make a dent in Abby's books this year. The Friend Zone is the only one I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison - Fingers crossed that you'll enjoy this one when you get around to it!

      Delete
  6. I love good dialogue and witty banter in romances, too. I'm looking forward to reading this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only read one of her books but I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to this one. I am so glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still on the fence about this one. I read another Jimenez where the heroine was frustrating for me so maybe I should give her another try, but not with this one. Glad to see you enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I wonder if maybe that's a hallmark for Jimenez? I have actually moved away from two different authors because of the way they chose to write their female leads. They seemed to have a "type" and it just didn't gel with me. So I get your hesitation.

      Delete
  9. I am so glad that this one worked so well for you here. I am not sure I will pick this one up, I am so picky about books with illustrated covers since they normally disappoint me but I am intrigued and it is on my tbr list for romanceopoly.

    Lovely review darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! You and I feel similarly about the illustrated covers and I tend to give them a wide berth. Whether accurate or not, an illustrated cover screams cutesy rom-com to me and those are not for me. But on occasion a review or synopsis will pull me in when it sounds like there is something more there. (This is when I feel those illustrated covers can do a big disservice to the book. The cover just doesn't fit the content!) Anyway, I had some quibbles with this one (mainly with the female lead) but there was also a lot to love and overall I really enjoyed it. I would read more by Jimenez (despite the covers lol).

      Delete
  10. I just saw this at Angela's too. :) Glad it mostly worked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read that one and I share your opinion about Alexis too Tanya! Also I am a sucker for good banter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear this was a hit for you overall even with those couple of quibbles. I really loved the town too and the little goat of course, lol.

    ReplyDelete