Top 5 Wednesday: Books That Feature Time Travel


Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey at GingerReadsLainey.
Click HERE for a complete list of participants and future topics.
As much as I enjoy a time travel element, once I started looking at my books I realized I haven't read all that many that I really loved. And it's not that the time travel wasn't done well in some of these - sometimes I just didn't like the writing or the story as a whole. So apparently I really need to find myself some kick ass time travel books to make up for some of the duds. So here are my time travel reads - the good, the bad and the downright ugly.


1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - I imagine this is going to show up on a lot of lists today. And it's definitely an exception to what I mentioned above about many of the time travel books I've read being disappointing. It's been almost 20 years since I first read Outlander and it is still an all-time favorite. Claire's sudden arrival in 1743 Scotland kicks off an epic journey. And there's Jamie Fraser. Enough said. 

2. Endless by Amanda Gray - This one was kind of middle of the road - not terrible, not great. It's definitely YA and didn't have a lot of depth but the fact that the time travel element dealt with Romanov Russia (a time period I find fascinating) had me sold. 

3. Doon by Carey Corp & Lorie Langdon - I wanted to love Doon. I *really* did. Time travel, romance, Scotland, strong female friendship... what's not to love? Overused tropes, lightweight plot and squeaky clean romance, that's what. Younger teens would probably love it but it gave me a headache from all my eye-rolling.

4. Landline by Rainbow Rowell - This kinda counts as time travel, right? I say yes. Present Georgie's connection with Past Neal was so uniquely done and I loved watching her navigate their relationship for the second time - while hoping for different results.

5. The Here and Now by Ann Brashares - Ugh. I read this as an ARC for review and it was painful. Time travel is tricky and once a reader trips up on an inconsistency it's almost impossible not to spend the rest of the book picking everything apart. The background was so poorly explained and there were so many plot holes and flimsy logic. Definitely not a shining example of time travel done well. Be gone with you book.

Do you enjoy time travel in books?
Have you read any of these or have any recommendations?



No comments