Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books from Outside My Comfort Zone

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic: 
Books Outside My Comfort Zone

Browsing through my read shelf on GoodReads to gather ten books for this week's topic reminded me of something: I don't often read outside my comfort zone. And I'm okay with that. I know what I like and I'm fairly good at finding those books. But there are times when something else catches my eye. Sometimes it doesn't work out and I scurry back to my happy place. But sometimes the risk pays off... and that's what happened with the books shown here.



Sarah J. Maas
I am not a fantasy reader. I like the stories I read to be planted firmly in reality. But in 2015, when I saw the cover of ACOTAR and read the synopsis, I was hooked. And it's now one of my favorite series.

R.J. Palacio
I never read middle grade. It holds zero appeal for me. But Sam twisted my arm and, because I adore her, I read it. Thank goodness I did because it was such a special, precious story.

Lisa Jewell
I read everything Lisa Jewell wrote back in the day (c. 2000 when she was writing romance/women's fiction). Then she shifted genres and I took a long hiatus. I came back around last year and, even though mystery/suspense is not something that holds any real interest for me, I knew I enjoyed Jewell's writing. Now I'm hooked on her blend of mystery/suspense/domestic drama.

Hillary Rodham Clinton
It's exceedingly rare that I'm drawn to nonfiction, but HRC's account of the 2016 election was fascinating.

Anne Bishop
I'd never read urban fantasy before picking up Written in Red. Thank goodness I did because I was introduced to some truly memorable characters and it is now one of my favorite series ever.

Anna Kendrick
Memoirs are not my thing (and celebrity memoirs even less so) but I like Anna Kendrick and the fact that she narrated the audio version herself made for a fun experience.

Holly Black
Again with the fantasy (not my thing) but I'd read one book previously from Holly Black (The Coldest Girl in Coldtown) and loved it so I The Cruel Prince a go. What a hit! And the follow up, The Wicked King, was even better.

Liz Nugent
I forget how I even heard about this one but the synopsis intrigued me (and the multiple narrators/points of view was a big draw) so I gave it a try. Totally enjoyed it and definitely want to read more from Nugent.

Debbie Tung
Graphic novels aren't my thing but the fact that this one was all about being an introvert (in a noisy world full of talkative, social extroverts) sold me. I still don't feel led to read more graphic novels, but this one in particular worked for me.

Jessica Redmerski
I'd read a few books from Redmerski before but when this one came out my first thought was... dystopian? Really? But I dove right in and never looked back. And Everything Under the Sun was a 5-star read and one of my favorites on 2018.


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS? 
DO YOU EVER READ OUTSIDE YOUR COMFORT ZONE?

36 comments

  1. I really need to read What Happened sometime. It sounds great.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Happened was a fascinating read! I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I saw the movie for Wonder and loved it so much!!! ACOTAR is a series I need to continue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing such good things about Lisa Jewell's mystery/suspense books, and you've also piqued my interested about them. I'm going to have to try her books some day. I loved The Cruel Prince, too! But that's totally in my comfort zone, so maybe that's no surprise. xD

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love Lisa Jewell's brand of mystery/suspense. They're more domestic drama than hard-boiled thriller.

      I am so (past) ready for The Queen of Nothing!

      Delete
  4. Written in Red was out of my comfort zone too, but I LOVED the series! And I'm planning to read Wonder---my daughter read it (and saw the movie), and now I need to pick it up too!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually re-listening to the Others series right now. I just finished Written In Red and have moved on to Murder of Crows. I've missed these characters! :)

      Delete
  5. I have THEN SHE WAS GONE on my TBR and really need to check out ANNE BISHOP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is reading And Then She Was Gone right now and I have to keep stopping myself from texting her every hour saying, "now what's happening?" LOL

      Delete
  6. Written in red and The Cruel Prince would be on my list as well.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually do a re-listen of the Others series right now. Currently on Murder of Crows. Simon Wolfgard is just the best, in all his grouchy goodness. LOL

      Delete
  7. Now Wonder is a book I am proud to see my name associated with, because, gosh! It was beautiful! I am so happy you liked it. I don't read a ton of fantasy, but SJM is sort of a go-to for me. I think there is a level of comfort for me, when it comes to her books, because they have such great romances in them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a sucker for all the relationships in the ACOTAR books but I couldn't get into Throne of Glass. I have total FOMO but that one just didn't thrill me.

      Delete
  8. Anna Kendrick's book I think is the one that got me into celebrity memoirs. I've always enjoyed nonfiction, but I wanted to try something lighter, and I love her, so I figured I would try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hers was a lot of fun. The fact that she narrated the audiobook herself made it that much better. :)

      Delete
  9. I had no idea Lisa Jewell used to write other stuff, I'm a fairly new convert to her writing but I've loved what I've read. I need to get then she Was Gone. Also that Holly Black series I absolutely have to get to this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Then She Was Gone was a good one. More character study than super thriller but I loved it.

      Delete
  10. Hillary's book and Scrappy Little Nobody made my list this week too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read book of those during the same year. Two non-fiction in one year set a record for me. LOL

      Delete
  11. MG's hardly my thing too (would likely not classify HP and PJO as more YA anyway) but I agree with Wonder. It's one of the books that unexpectedly tugged my emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have that much interest in Wonder but Sam insisted. :) She was right, of course... it was lovely.

      Delete
  12. I don't read much in the way of graphic novels either, but I think I'm going to see if the library has the one on your list. It looks comforting to page through.

    But ooh, I love post-apocalyptic dystopias. Everything Under the Sun sounds right up my alley, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The graphic novel by Debbie Tung was a fun one. I'm not a graphic novel convert, but I enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  13. I haven't read any of these, though 4 of them are currently on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them if/when you get to them, Michelle! :)

      Delete
  14. Great list! I hardly ever read middle grade but Wonder was so amazing! I was a crying hot mess at the end of that one 😂

    My TTT post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I really had no interest in Wonder (because middle grade) but my friend twisted my arm. So glad I read it!

      Delete
  15. I'm not too much into non-fiction. But it's always fun to stray from your comfort zone. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *very rarely* read non-fiction. I read for escapism, not real life. :) But once in a great while one catches my eye.

      Delete
  16. I loved Written and Red and the rest of the series, too! I don't read many YA Fantasy books anymore but Holly Black could tempt me. I loved The Coldest Girl in Coldtown as well. I'd like to wait until all books are out, though. I don't think I've ever read a memoir just for me, so maybe I should try that sometime. That would definitely be out of my comfort zone. I'd like to here Hilary's story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously loved The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. The book was wonderful and the audio version was excellent. Loving that one was really the only reason I picked up The Cruel Prince. So glad I did!

      Delete
  17. ACOTAR is awesome and the covers are beautiful!
    I don't read outside my comfort zone often and I don't think I've ever read an autobiography or non-fiction like the Clinton one... I do like to read non-fiction history books though, I just haven't in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My non-fiction picks are few and far between. I read for entertainment and often NF just doesn't do the job. LOL

      Delete
  18. I love how reading outside of your comfort zone led to you finding a favourite series with ACOTAR and that by reading Written in Red you discovered UF because that's a good genre to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a lesson in learning that sometimes taking a chance and reading outside the comfort zone pays off big! :)

      Delete