Review: Wham!, George Michael, and Me by Andrew Ridgeley

WHAM!, George Michael, and Me
Andrew Ridgeley
Genre: Non-Fiction, Memoir, Music
Released: October 8, 2019
Source: Overdrive
Rating: 3.5 stars

For the first time, Andrew Ridgeley - one half of one of the most famous bands in the world - tells the inside story of Wham!, his life-long friendship with George Michael and the formation of a band that changed the shape of the music scene in the early eighties.

In 1975 Andrew took a shy new boy at school under his wing. They instantly hit it off and their boyhood escapades at Bushey Meads School built a bond that was never broken. The duo found themselves riding an astonishing rollercoaster of success, taking them all over the world. They made and broke iconic records, they were treated like gods, but they stayed true to their friendship and ultimately to themselves. It was a party that seemed as if it would never end. And then it did, in front of tens of thousands of tearful fans at Wembley Stadium in 1986.

Andrew's memoir covers in wonderful detail those years, up until that last iconic concert: the scrapes, the laughs, the relationships, the good and the bad. It's a unique and one-and-only time to remember that era, that band and those boys.

Back in the day I was a big Wham! fan. Within the realm of my rabid teenage devotion, they came second only to Duran Duran. Their infectious pop music was a balm to the angsty teen years and my crush on George Michael was strong. So learning that surviving Wham! member Andrew Ridgeley had written a book about his years with George had me gladly taking a trip down memory lane.

Ridgeley’s memoir focused heavily on the early years of his friendship with George – pre-Wham!, pre-success. From their meeting at age 12, the forming of their first band, and the highs and lows of seeking stardom, the emphasis was always on the close bond and enduring friendship he shared with George. While he was quick to acknowledge George’s incredible talent – his voice, his songwriting – he also seemed to be seeking validation. He was obviously the driving force behind the band in the early years – he pushed to start the band, he was constantly working for greater recognition and a record deal – but once success came he seemed to relinquish almost all creative control to George. He didn’t seem resentful exactly, but it was hard to reconcile his feelings of not having a more dynamic role in the band after he was the one who had chosen that route.  

There was quite a gap of time that was a bit glossed over from George’s solo success just after the break-up of Wham! to his death in 2016. I guess that was to be expected, though, since they were no longer living in each other’s pockets at that point.

I listened to the audiobook and also had the Kindle version and it was the perfect way to read this one. I enjoyed listening to Andrew narrate the book himself, telling his story in his own words. And seeing all the photos in the Kindle version, many of them candid snapshots not seen before, was a lot of fun. Overall, Ridgeley delivered a book that was a wonderful tribute to his friend George, someone with whom he shared a remarkable experience. Filled with warmth and humor and admiration, Wham!, George Michael & Me was a good dose of nostalgia and definitely worth reading.


DO YOU REMEMBER WHAM? WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE WHAM! SONG?

20 comments

  1. I enjoyed both Duran Duran and Wham back in the day! It's interesting to get a behind-the-scenes look at some of the superstars from the 80s. I was a teenager back then, too. I'm sure it added more to have Ridgley narrating. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nostalgic to listen to Andrew's recounting of that time. Like when he talked about participating in the recording of Do They Know It's Christmas, or performing at Live Aid.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear this was a good memoir! I imagine it must be tough to have been the one who really pushed to make a name of themselves and then not get as much credit for it later! Sounds like they had a great friendship all around though.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Andrew did get something of a raw deal in the way he is remembered almost as George's sidekick... when he was the driving force in the very early years.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any memoires but I've always been interested in trying them. I definitely think audiobooks are a great way to get in some non-fiction. I'm glad this was a good read for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very rarely reach for memoirs but since Wham was so nostalgic for me I was excited to pick it up. :)

      Delete
  4. I love a good memoir experience through audiobook. I know I've mentioned being curious about this one. I think I would really want to know more about those years that were glossed over -- even understanding the reason. It's too bad Michael is gone and we can't get the other side to the story. I think that would make it even more fascinating.
    I listened to a memoir of Heart recently that was really good and gave a bunch of cool stories. I don't know if that one would interest you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wish there was a way to get more of George's story in the years after Wham. I know he struggled a lot but he also continued to make some truly great music.

      I'll have to look up the one for Heart! I didn't know they had a book.

      Delete
  5. I was very fortunate to attend a George Michael concert about a decade ago. Everyone looked like they grew up in the 80s, so I felt right at home. :) We knew all the songs but the audience's excitement went up a whole new level when he sang Careless Whisper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so exciting, Susanna! I saw George Michael live once but it was many, many years ago. Around 1988-1989, I think. Such a good time.

      Delete
  6. I really like listening to memoirs on audio - like you said, hearing a story in the author's own voice, that's really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it adds a lot when you're getting it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

      Delete
  7. I like when authors narrate their own books. Let's be honest, Andrew might have had a lot to do with Wham! happening, but it was all about George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Sam. Andrew was initially the driving force behind Wham but George quickly became the face of the band.

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh get out. WHAM were the bomb. I'm glad this wasn't a hatchet job on George, also- while I'm sure Andrew did want some validation, it's just one of those things- George's incredible charisma drove that band. I'm glad that this is a positive memoir. Now I want to listen to some WHAM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Same here, Greg! Reading/listening to this one had me all kinds of nostalgic and OD'ing on Wham music. :)

      Delete
  9. It must be so hard when you are talented in your own right, you push and push and push to make something happen, then your more talented friend/band mate completely outshines you and reaches heights you never could... But still. Doesn't sounds like he's bitter about it which is a good thing.

    My aunty was Wham obsessed - in particular George - and any discussion of Wham makes me think of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that sums it up, really. George truly did outshine him. But he never did sound bitter even though it had to be tough to handle.

      Delete
  10. How weird that George Michael became a household name and Andrew didn't (I literally didn't recognize his name, and I was a big Wham fan back in the day). I can understand how he might have felt a bit slighted because of that if he was the driving force behind the band.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was just odd because he talked openly about how he and George agreed that George would take over the creative side (songwriting, music, production) and yet he would then mention feeling left out and unsure of his role. I think maybe he regretted that decision over time.

      Delete